A bit confused about how it works

kah022
kah022 Posts: 5 Member
ive been following MyFitnessPal now since the 10th June. When I checked on the 17th of June I had lost 2 lb. down from 14.7 to 14.5. My belly seems to be getting smaller but there has been no shift in my weight since then. I'm disappointed, maybe it is to early to be disappointed

The bit that confuses me is the calories
My Goal is 1789
Daily Ave 1424
Calories under weekly total 356

Here's my confusion should I be pushing my daily average above my goal e.g. Raising my daily average to above 1780 to say 1850 or am I ok where I am?

Replies

• sendmenewsletter
    sendmenewsletter Posts: 5 Member
    Hi:)
    Muscles are heavier but take less place than fat . Measure your body instead of weighting that way you'll see progress
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Oh yes, I imagine the OP has built lots of muscles in 2 weeks with a calorie deficit. NO!

You may not lose weight every week, I certainly don't. Some weeks I gain.

How tall are you?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    You haven't gained muscle in 2 weeks. Muscle building is a hard process and it takes more time than that.

It's typical to lose a bit more the first week because generally when people start they eat less carbs and less sodium, not to mention less food in general, and that results in water weight loss. After that initial loss it gets slower and less consistent. You won't lose every week. Some weeks you'll gain. Weight fluctuates normally so you just have to watch the trend. Personally I've been in maintenance for more than 2 years and I might weigh anything from 124 to 127 lbs on any given day. Some of it I can predict-- if I go out to eat I expect to be up from sodium; if I know it's that time of month I know I'll be up from hormones; if I did intense exercise I know I'll be up from water retention for muscle repair. Some of it is just chance.

Yes you should eat all of your calories. 1400 is too low for a man. Be patient and give it 4 weeks before you decide what you're doing isn't working.

That said, there are some things you can do to help make sure your logging is accurate. Buy a food scale. Use it for everything except liquids. Use measuring cups/spoons for liquids, but only for liquids. Do not use the "generic" or "homemade" entries in the database unless you have no choice. They're user entries and they're not accurate. When you cook at home use the recipe builder to enter your own recipes. Choose the database entries that say "verified." More info on accurate logging here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Mostly, be patient. You only have 20 lbs to lose so it's not necessarily going to come off 2 lbs at a time, nor should it. As you get close to goal things slow down too so be prepared for that.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    kah022 wrote: »

My Goal is 1789
    Daily Ave 1424

Here's my confusion should I be pushing my daily average above my goal e.g. Raising my daily average to above 1780 to say 1850 or am I ok where I am?

The "Goal" is the amount you would expect to eat to achieve the weight loss that you originally specified. It increases with logged exercise.

You should aim to eat to your goal. If you don't lose weight over a month set a lower goal / higher loss rate or log fewer exercise calories.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    ive been following MyFitnessPal now since the 10th June. When I checked on the 17th of June I had lost 2 lb. down from 14.7 to 14.5. My belly seems to be getting smaller but there has been no shift in my weight since then. I'm disappointed, maybe it is to early to be disappointed

My Goal is 1789
    Daily Ave 1424

Eat 1789. Get enough protein and fats.

Be very patient. Some weeks the weight does not come off. The next week you could be down a pound.
    In the meantime you are establishing good habits for yourself. :)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Eat a good balanced diet you like that you can live with.

Exercise

Burn off fat calories

The cover of Web MD. A guy that was out of shape that just ate right and worked hard.

Seems fitting

xetuybukwhz3.jpg
  • kah022
    faeriesue1 wrote: »
    Oh yes, I imagine the OP has built lots of muscles in 2 weeks with a calorie deficit. NO!

How tall are you?

I'm male, 65 plus (been summoned to a wedding hence the need to look a bit better
  • kah022
    edited June 2015
    faeriesue1 wrote: »

How tall are you?

I'm male 65 plus, 5 ft 10 , would say I'm pretty fit, walk everywhere, have a large garden and that certainly helps. I would describe myself as well built with a good strong frame. 14.5 St at the moment aiming for 13. Would like eventually to hit 12.5 St but definitely no less

Kevin