cooking got picky eaters

Options
Hey guys,

So dinner time is getting pretty boring
My man doesn't like veggies. He literally has me cook fried chicken , gyros wraps, fries, pizza, fried snacks, burgers everyyyydayy. As well as the kids, they are still young 1 & 3 the oldest loves spinach with potatoes so we make that for them at least 2 times a week and it's really just about all the veggies I can get into them.

I am the kind of girl who would love to eat a baked potato with a steak and some green beans.
He just wants meat
The girls just want meat (and the youngest is getting even more picky on that)

I don't know what to do. We are about to move into our new home . Would like to get us all on a healthier eating lifestyle.
I have talked to my hubby about other things I can make for him that include veggies

His answer

Yeah just see if you can find a recipe with some meat... than I say with what veggies

He says none. Sometimes a paprika and maybe some onion.
I am Def at my end. I would love to eat healthier again but I also don't feel like cooking two meals

Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Don't make two meals! Prepare a meal for the family, with protein and vegie sides. Your husband can either eat them or make his own alternatives. Your kids can learn to expand their palates - they won't starve!

Get creative with the sides - mixed roast vegies, pan fried Brussels or Cabbage with bacon, grilled Mediterranean style vegies, interesting salads, steamed vegies drizzled with cheesy sauce..

Or dishes that incorporate everything meat/vegie curry or stew, or bolognese sauce (served with cauliflower rice or steamed greens), soups, frittata, filo parcels, homemade vegie pizza with salad, homemade burgers and baked fries etc...
  • Fionavar68
    Fionavar68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Broccoli in a cheese sauce made with low fat milk. Sauté broccoli in a little butter add a little flour cheese then milk in that order. Thickens into a tasty low cal cheese sauce. My four year old gobbles it up. I use frozen or fresh broccoli. Tbsp of butter and flour for 4 servings of broccoli. Salt to taste.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Spouse;
    Here is dinner, eat it or go hungry, your choice.
    Don't like it, make you own.

Children;
    You have no choice at all, you eat what is served, or go hungry.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Cook for the health of your kids, hubby sounds lost.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

So dinner time is getting pretty boring
    My man doesn't like veggies. He literally has me cook fried chicken , gyros wraps, fries, pizza, fried snacks, burgers everyyyydayy. As well as the kids, they are still young 1 & 3 the oldest loves spinach with potatoes so we make that for them at least 2 times a week and it's really just about all the veggies I can get into them.

I am the kind of girl who would love to eat a baked potato with a steak and some green beans.
    He just wants meat
    The girls just want meat (and the youngest is getting even more picky on that)

I don't know what to do. We are about to move into our new home . Would like to get us all on a healthier eating lifestyle.
    I have talked to my hubby about other things I can make for him that include veggies

His answer

Yeah just see if you can find a recipe with some meat... than I say with what veggies

He says none. Sometimes a paprika and maybe some onion.
    I am Def at my end. I would love to eat healthier again but I also don't feel like cooking two meals

Thanks

How does he literally have you make fried chicken , gyros wraps, fries, pizza, fried snacks, burgers everyyyydayy. that's a lot of food to cook every single day
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The only veggies my husband eats are pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, ketchup, and mashed potatoes.

We still make one meal but the three of us (we have a daughter) eat different amounts of each dish. For example, we might have chicken and mashed potatoes and peas and salad. He'll eat chicken and a lot of mashed potatoes. I will chicken and peas and salad. Our daughter will eat two bites of chicken and a boat load of peas and salad.

If he is hungry later, he makes something for himself.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Spouse;

Children;

Yep.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. I would just make dinner (if you're looking for good recipes check out Skinnytaste.com) and if he doesn't like it, well then he can make something else. My son is a super picky eater (he's 1.5) but I Just give him what we have and if he doesn't eat it, he doesn't eat it. He drinks his milk and eats a lot during the day so he's not starving.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I make one main entree for a meal, and always provide a simple veggie and fresh fruit on the side. The kids know their dinner needs to always include the veggie & fruit (if they want a treat or any extras), and to at least try the entree. My husband is a healthy eater, but doesn't necessarily want "a little of everything" at mealtimes. My kids like their veggies simple- raw carrots & dip, plain (finely chopped) spinach salad w/dressing, broccoli & cheese, or in soups.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Acg67, nice helpful comment. Obviously she doesn't fix all of that every day. Hopefully this was an attempt at you being funny.

Romyarts2014, I had a similar dilemma with my husband, except that he loved pasta in addition to meat. Fortunately, a work trip to Japan where he had no choice in what was available to eat - and that included plenty of odd veggies - completely changed that as he eats about anything now.

The kids at 1 & 3 shouldn't be directing what you fix. I agree with posters above that say they will eat what you have or go hungry. It's hard the first few times, but eventually they will find they like other things, but as long as they can get away with choosing what they want, they have the upper hand. I will also say if possible, get them to help pick the produce when you shop & participate in cooking. The 3 yr old should be able to help rinse the veggies, put the pieces that you cut in a pan, etc. It takes patience, but kids who help cook actually are more inclined to eat what they fix. Go through recipe sites & magazines to find other ways to serve veggies or sneak them into food they like...many recipes have finely chopped or pureed veggies added into the sauce, etc. Boiled mushy broccoli is about the worst but I found that sauteeing it in a bit of olive oil & low sodium teriyaki sauce made it fabulous.

As for hubs, before the Japan trip, I fixed what he wanted & used the meat more as a side dish for me. I just made the veggies that I loved. Fix the fried chicken, just don't fry your piece...cook it in the pan before you add the oil for his. Make side dishes you love & use his main course as your side. Hopefully if the kids start trying things, he will too. If not, you can still eat healthy without too much extra effort. That extra effort is worth it for your family's health.

Good luck!
  • breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    honestly, I don't think there's any point forcing foods on a grown man. I know it's hard but you're not responsible for his health- if he wants to eat those foods that's his choice. I would keep cooking the same for him. It's possible that in time he may decide he wants to try some of the yummy, healthy things he sees you and your children eating. In my experience though, essentially nagging him to eat better is going to send him down the path of greater resistance..

In terms of the kids, though, I would be including more of the veggies, fruits and 'healthy' foods that they already enjoy (eg. spinach, potatoes..) by incorporating them into slightly different meals. I would also look into the recipe books which are designed to 'hide' veggies in the food if you need a way to ease them in to it. ETA: agree with the idea of getting the kids involved, I took this out of my original post because I wasn't sure if they were old enough but even if they pick out a fruit at the market simply because they like the colour, they're more likely to try and enjoy it instead of feeling like it's a chore. Obvious but it's worth asking them what their fave fruits and veggies are or what they like the look of (might even work with the hubby :P )

This doesn't really save you on the having to cook several meals front though. Preparation is key for this- I'd batch cook things to refrigerate or freeze for either him or you and the kids so you can just nuke them in the microwave or whatever. Not to be rude but things like fried chicken, fries, pizza, burgers don't really take much preparation or could be prepared in advance and then shoved in the oven or whatever.. it's more of a matter of time management IMO.

good luck :)
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Spouse;

Children;

Absolutely!!! My hubby knows I cook what I like to eat, and it is healthier, if he cooks I know it's unhealthy/crap. If my children (17 & 10) don't like what I'm cooking they go without, the only concession I make is that I will cook extra types of veg so we all get what we want/like. My family has always been told you will eat what you are given and be grateful. Once your children are of school age then they are too old to be pandered to, give them what you want them to eat and don't allow any snacks/treats if they're not eating proper food.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    kr1stadee wrote: »
    Spouse;

Children;

Yep.

Yes. This!

One compromise that could work: grilling! I grill almost every day. It gives the food a ton of flavor and a lot of the fat is drained off.
    I love grilling steak with only salt, chicken breast can even be grilled from frozen, marinated, dry-rubs etc... and still be healthy.

I have two young kids. For dinner they get whatever protein we are having and a TON of cut up fresh vegetables. (They don't like cooked, but love raw) and I put the same vegetables in our salads anyway. Then, they get a starchy side like rice, quinoa, couscous.

If they don't want to eat what we are eating, they don't get a new plate with other choices. I think that just breeds picky-ness .

And, please don't take this the wrong way, same goes for your H. If you are going to ask a veggie hater, which side vegetable he wants, of course he is going to say "none"
    Don't ask him!
    Find great new ways to cook vegetables and put them on the plate!
    If he doesn't like them, well nothing has changed. But if he does, then it is a win-win.

One thing that I've found in feeding my kids is that just because they don't like a certain item once (fish, carrots, broccoli etc...) doesn't mean that they will never eat it -- chances are that they don't care for the way it was prepared that time.
    Find new ways to cook and offer it again. Then, repeat. Yes, it is a lot of work. But I think it is very important to expose young palettes to diversity.

For your kids, checkout some library books like Weelicious, Tyler Florence's Fresh Start and The Sneaky Chef -- these give great ideas on how to get toddlers to eat more fruits and veggies -- and hey! it could work on your H too!!!

Hope this helps :)
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Can your husband do grilling instead of you cooking it? This will solve lots of problems. You can cook the healthy sides and he can cook grilled meat (that you've marinated overnight, etc.). No two dinners. Problem solved. :smiley:

I use allrecipes.com for my marinade ideas and even baking ideas. They have every category of food you can think of. Don't use their app, just use the website. It is free and you can even start a "recipe box" on the website and save any recipe that you think is interesting. Lots of feedback on the various recipes too. Good luck!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I agree with making a meal and having everyone eat the amounts of each side that they prefer. He can make something to snack on later if he's still hungry.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think he's a lost cause. Let him eat what he wants. He might smarten up after his first heart attack. I know a few men who have.

Now you can cook the meat, or he can prepare it on the grill, and you can prepare other sides for yourself and your children to enjoy. I love some of the ideas presented above.

I would also gradually reduce the frying, switching to breaded and baked in the oven, switching to panko bread crumbs and so on. I've done this with hubby and he proudly pats his slimming stomach, crediting my healthy cooking. He acts like such a saint, eating better because of me.

You might tempt him with a salad once in a while by adding bacon bits or cheese. That's what the restaurants do. But let's not make this a point of contention in your marriage. You're not trying to "fix" him and as soon as he gets that straight, the better.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    skinny taste has fantastic recipes. something maybe you all can agree on
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    cook a main dish, and add sides. The sides are optional.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is children are so impressionable and eating their vegetables is so important for them! They lead by example and sadly due to your husbands expression of not liking them or expression of not having to eat them has lead the children to be picky at 1 & 3 which is just unacceptable to me. I would cook the meat or have him grill and try to experiment with different variations of sides and vegetables made different ways until you come up with new favorites~whether he cares to try them or not. For example, my daughter will eat raw carrots dipped in hummus or dressing, but may not care for steamed carrots, but just loves carrots from a can sprinkled with a little cinnamon sugar. Now she asks for those all of the time! Try slight variations til you come up with winners. Mini corn on the cob with corn holders (fun favorite). You get the idea :) Their future health will thank you for it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    paniolo5 wrote: »
    Acg67, nice helpful comment. Obviously she doesn't fix all of that every day. Hopefully this was an attempt at you being funny.

Romyarts2014, I had a similar dilemma with my husband, except that he loved pasta in addition to meat. Fortunately, a work trip to Japan where he had no choice in what was available to eat - and that included plenty of odd veggies - completely changed that as he eats about anything now.

The kids at 1 & 3 shouldn't be directing what you fix. I agree with posters above that say they will eat what you have or go hungry. It's hard the first few times, but eventually they will find they like other things, but as long as they can get away with choosing what they want, they have the upper hand. I will also say if possible, get them to help pick the produce when you shop & participate in cooking. The 3 yr old should be able to help rinse the veggies, put the pieces that you cut in a pan, etc. It takes patience, but kids who help cook actually are more inclined to eat what they fix. Go through recipe sites & magazines to find other ways to serve veggies or sneak them into food they like...many recipes have finely chopped or pureed veggies added into the sauce, etc. Boiled mushy broccoli is about the worst but I found that sauteeing it in a bit of olive oil & low sodium teriyaki sauce made it fabulous.

As for hubs, before the Japan trip, I fixed what he wanted & used the meat more as a side dish for me. I just made the veggies that I loved. Fix the fried chicken, just don't fry your piece...cook it in the pan before you add the oil for his. Make side dishes you love & use his main course as your side. Hopefully if the kids start trying things, he will too. If not, you can still eat healthy without too much extra effort. That extra effort is worth it for your family's health.

Good luck!

Oh, she when she said that she does, she was lying?