I don't have periods anymore?

Options
In August of last year, I began losing weight. In February, I started missing my period. When I asked a friend (who lost a lot of weight) about missing my period, she responded that happens when the body is going through some changes. Finally, I reached my goal weight earlier this month (June 11th). Now I am 5'3 and 110 pounds and I've been maintaining my weight with no difficulty. However, it's been two weeks on maintaining and I still have not had my period yet. Is this normal? If you had this problem too, when did you get your period again? Thanks for reading.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Some women lose their period when they starve themselves. I've heard some women say that they did this and it never came back.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Have you not had a period at all since Feb, or has it been irregular?
    How much have you lost, and how fast? Your profile says 40 lbs lost. Is that since last Aug.? 40 lbs in 10 months isn't crazy fast, and 110 lbs at 5'3" isn't underweight, so those don't send up huge red flags.

You may want to see your doctor to rule out any other reasons for missing your period.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    How much have you lost, and how fast? Your profile says 40 lbs lost. Is that since last Aug.? 40 lbs in 10 months isn't crazy fast, and 110 lbs at 5'3" isn't underweight, so those don't send up huge red flags.

You may want to see your doctor to rule out any other reasons for missing your period.

5'3" and 110 pounds certainly can be underweight depending on bone structure, etc.

• amyds2104
    amyds2104 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to the doctors just to confirm there are no underlying issues.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Right away. Losing your period is your body's way to not get pregnant when it needs to use the energy in some other way. Might be weight loss related and might not be. Go to a general physician who will run many tests. Not just an OB/GYN who will put you on birth control to jump start it. Find out why it stopped in the first place. Mine was liver related. Go to the doctor!
  • Originalcool
    Originalcool Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Actually, I lost fifty pounds because when I first set up this account, I was ten pounds lighter. Then I gave up for a while *.* A little while later, I was 160 pounds and I thought it would be easier to do myfitnesspal to lose ten pounds then track my weight. That makes sense, right? So, I really lost fifty pounds not forty. I did see my doctor in the beginning of May. When I told her about my period concerns, she said it was my body getting used to the weight loss. However, now I'm maintaining and have been for two weeks now. I know for sure I am not pregnant and I eat a healthy amount of food every day. I have not had a period since February.
  • Originalcool
    Options

5'3" and 110 pounds certainly can be underweight depending on bone structure, etc.

My bone structure is on the small side and I do not look underweight. During my two weeks of maintaining, I have had a good amount of food every day. I've also had a lot of fruit and veggies. So, my lack of menstruation cycles is not because of my weight. I know for sure I am not pregnant. Any other ideas? Thanks.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Actually, I lost fifty pounds because when I first set up this account, I was ten pounds lighter. Then I gave up for a while *.* A little while later, I was 160 pounds and I thought it would be easier to do myfitnesspal to lose ten pounds then track my weight. That makes sense, right? So, I really lost fifty pounds not forty. I did see my doctor in the beginning of May. When I told her about my period concerns, she said it was my body getting used to the weight loss. However, now I'm maintaining and have been for two weeks now. I know for sure I am not pregnant and I eat a healthy amount of food every day. This is worrying me

So go see a doctor for peace of mind at least.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    What is a 'good amount' of food?
  • Originalcool
    Options
    Go to the doctor. Right away. Losing your period is your body's way to not get pregnant when it needs to use the energy in some other way. Might be weight loss related and might not be. Go to a general physician who will run many tests. Not just an OB/GYN who will put you on birth control to jump start it. Find out why it stopped in the first place. Mine was liver related. Go to the doctor!
    Thanks for telling me this! Last time I went to the doctors in early May, she told me the reason I have no period for the moment is because my body is getting used to the weight loss. However, now that I have been maintaining for two weeks with no sign of a period, it is quite reasonable to check up with her again. I know for sure I am not pregnant. Thanks again.
  • Originalcool
    Options
    Some women lose their period when they starve themselves. I've heard some women say that they did this and it never came back.
    It is certain I didn't starve myself. I ate a good portion of food with a lot of fruit and vegetables during/after my weight loss. But thanks for suggesting this.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That happened to me several years ago when I was eating WAY too little and exercising too much (its called Ammenoria) *spell check* and I didnt have a period for almost 2 years. The doctor will give you a pill to jump start it again which will take a few months. Its dangerous not to have a period. He/she or a nutritionist may be able to help you with your diet. Not saying its true for you, but usually this does happen when you are not eating enough. Have it checked out. Good luck!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thanks for telling me this! Last time I went to the doctors in early May, she told me the reason I have no period for the moment is because my body is getting used to the weight loss. However, now that I have been maintaining for two weeks with no sign of a period, it is quite reasonable to check up with her again. I know for sure I am not pregnant. Thanks again.

You've said a few times that your doctor has already said that it's your body's way of adjusting to the weight loss, but you've been maintaining for 2 weeks.

Two weeks is not a long time. It can take months for the body to fully adjust to changes. If it will make you feel better, go see your doc again, but other than that, I'm not sure what you're hoping to hear from the community. It could be something, it could be nothing, either way your doc whom you've already seen is going to know better than we will.

• princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Are you on any contraceptive or other hormone pill/injection/implant?

The slimmer you get the more concentrated the hormone becomes in your body.
    The healthier you are the faster it gets into your blood stream etc.
    Some contraceptive pills cause periods to stop all together if you take a certain dose.

I'd get a checkup but if you are on a high dose or POP and there are no other issues then it is probably that and you will learn to enjoy the freedom.

Mine stopped with my pill and docs say its normal and fine as long as it doesn't bother me I don't ovulate anymore so I don't need periods anymore! If I want them back just stop taking the pill for a couple months.

It is not dangerous to not have a period, but it can be a symptom of something wrong.

E.G if you are not having one it means you don't need one, because you are not ovulating. So you need to know if that is because of malnutrition/illness instead of a pill doing it intentionally for contraception.
  • Originalcool
    Options
    That happened to me several years ago when I was eating WAY too little and exercising too much (its called Ammenoria) *spell check* and I didnt have a period for almost 2 years. The doctor will give you a pill to jump start it again which will take a few months. Its dangerous not to have a period. He/she or a nutritionist may be able to help you with your diet. Not saying its true for you, but usually this does happen when you are not eating enough. Have it checked out. Good luck!
    Thanks for telling me your story. It's strange because during my weight loss, I was eating reasonable portions and not working out hard. Always added calories when I did work out. I know for certain if I don't get my period in the next two weeks, I will definitely talk with my doctor about that pill. Thanks again.
  • Originalcool
    Options
    Are you on any contraceptive or other hormone pill/injection/implant?

The slimmer you get the more concentrated the hormone becomes in your body.
    The healthier you are the faster it gets into your blood stream etc.
    Some contraceptive pills cause periods to stop all together if you take a certain dose.

I'd get a checkup but if there are no other issues then don't complain, enjoy the freedom. Mine stopped with my pill and docs say its normal and fine as long as it doesn't bother me I don't ovulate anymore so I don't need periods anymore! If I want them back just stop taking the pill for a couple months.
    I am not on any hormone pill, injection, or implant. Last time I talked to my doctor it was in early May. She told me my body was taking time to get used to my weight loss. However, now I have been maintaining for two weeks and shouldn't it be back by now? Thanks for telling me this. I hope there are not any issues. I'll try to schedule an appointment with my doctor sometime
  • Originalcool
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for helping with this problem! For now, I got my answer. So, thank you again. There is no more reason for this post to be active. :smile: Goodbye.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

Nonsense.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    To the OP, two weeks isn't long. I'd give it a couple more and then be concerned. Maybe your cycle just hasn't caught up with your loss yet.
    Its dangerous not to have a period.

I'm curious what your reasoning behind this is. I have been on birth control in some shape or form for the last 17 years and I have only had my cycle when I got off BC for the few months before getting pregnant, twice to have my children. Basically I've had my cycle totalling about 6 months in the last 17 years and I'm perfectly healthy. I wonder what dangers you think I have to look forward to?