Lifting and calories...

Options
pznatti
pznatti Posts: 51 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello... So I'm working on improving my heart - as we all are - and this is my plan at the moment...

Exercise: New Rules of Lifting for Women: I'm at the end of stage 2; various hiking, biking, swimming things as per my normal active summer

Food: I've made an attempt at calculating my TDEE -20% (about 1865) and am eating about 1700-1865 on non-workout days... 1865-200 on workout days... And 2000-2200 on days I workout and am then active beyond that.

Here's where my question comes in... I worked out this morning and logged my lifting under strength but no extra calories. I want to eat between 1865-2000 calories today and will but I have MFP set up at 1865.

Advice here... Is there a way to adjust my exercise calories manually or should I just ignore the "you are over your calories thing" since I am following the plan I've set up...

I'm 5'5", weight 164 and am 42.

Replies

• toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You can set you goal at your TDEE - 20% and then add the lifting calories burned under cardio. I set my goal to my base non exercise calories then add my exercise calories back.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When you enter exercise, if you click on the calories it calculates (when you enter the minutes) it will let you write over the calories. So if you entered 30 minutes of exercise and it gave you 100 calories, you could click on the 100 and type in 200 (or whatever you want to type in.) It just doesn't let you set it to 0 or a negative number.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why are you eating more on workout days? TDEE-20% already includes your exercise calories...
  • pznatti
    Options
    I've based it on what I've been reading on various blogs and such. I'm working hard to not be in a hurry. I calculated my TDEE for both my current weight and my goal weight...

CW TDEE maintenance calories: 2133
    CW TDEE - 20% = 1703

MW TDEE maintenance calories: 2015
    MW TDEE - 20% = 1600

I used those to determine daily for the next few weeks to be between 1600-2100 - aiming for the low end on on workout days and towards the higher end on workout days... And on unusually active days (workout + long ride or vigorous long hike) days I can go to about 2200.

This is my first attempt... I'm pretty active between 3 days per week of workouts and frequent outings and such with my boys. Any ideas or advice would be great.

I figure I'll see what's the what in 4 weeks. Losing too little or none... Change my plan. :)

Thanks for the calorie adjustment ideas.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I get what TDEE is but if you are doing TDEE it's not based on weight it is based on current weight+total activity and if you are using the TDEE method you are not suppose to be eating back exercise calories...

That is double dipping.

to calculate TDEE the formula is this

Total Calories consumed+(total lbs lostx3500)/#days (typically 3 weeks worth of data)

or using a website such as scooby or iifym...but again if you are doing TDEE method and eating exercise calories you are double dipping.
  • pznatti
    Options
    So I'm not eating exercise calories. What I'm doing is creating a range based on creating a deficit in my TDEE. On non-workout days, I am eating -20% less than my TDEE and on workout days eating about -5% less... I find that I'm too tired on workout days eating 1700 calories...

It will definitely slow my weight loss down... But I am more likely to stick with it if I'm not eating at too big of a deficit.

My TDEE - from my current understanding and maybe I'm wrong - is how much I need to eat to maintain my current weight. What I am choosing to vary day by day is how much of a deficit I am willing to create. More on days I workout... Less on days I don't.

And to do this with MFP I am setting it at a 20% deficit and adding calories back on exercise days to create a smaller deficit.

That's my current thinking and il lee what happens. If I'be got my thinking wrong... I guess it will show on the scale... And I'll have to change things.

Oh and I used the scooby website to calculate my TDEE based on a moderate 3-5 hour per week range. Some weeks I do more and rarely so I do less.

• SezxyStef
    Options
    pznatti wrote: »
    So I'm not eating exercise calories. What I'm doing is creating a range based on creating a deficit in my TDEE. On non-workout days, I am eating -20% less than my TDEE and on workout days eating about -5% less... I find that I'm too tired on workout days eating 1700 calories...

It will definitely slow my weight loss down... But I am more likely to stick with it if I'm not eating at too big of a deficit.

My TDEE - from my current understanding and maybe I'm wrong - is how much I need to eat to maintain my current weight. What I am choosing to vary day by day is how much of a deficit I am willing to create. More on days I workout... Less on days I don't.

And to do this with MFP I am setting it at a 20% deficit and adding calories back on exercise days to create a smaller deficit.

That's my current thinking and il lee what happens. If I'be got my thinking wrong... I guess it will show on the scale... And I'll have to change things.

Oh and I used the scooby website to calculate my TDEE based on a moderate 3-5 hour per week range. Some weeks I do more and rarely so I do less.

ah...TDEE method typically is one where you eat the same amount of calories regardless of exercise. For example my winter TDEE is 2k so to lose I eat 1800 everyday regardless of what exercise I do. Summer TDEE is 2400 so I eat 2200 a day to lose...10% cut from my TDEE allows for 1/2lb a week.

But yes TDEE stands for Total Daily energy expenditure meaning if you eat at TDEE you maintain.

But if you like your method and it works great...apparently the MFP premium version lets you set individual daily calories...if you live in the US anyway.

I have stepped away from that however to see if my Jawbone can be used instead of constantly calculating my TDEE depending on the season etc.

You should try the calculation in my previous post as it is based on your results not some random website...I found them both to be a bit high.