Fitness watches

Options
Hey guys I was just wondering which is the best fitness watch to buy, I'm currently stuck between Fitbit charge hr, polar m400 or polar a300. I'm just looking for something that will help track calories, distance ect

Thanks in advance

Replies

• rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin Vivosmart and I love it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What activities do you do? What data points do you want to track?
  • alicer461
    alicer461 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just general gym like cycling, cross trainer, treadmill and weights but eventually I would like to start running :)
  • enekomh
    enekomh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Fitbit Charge HR and I can recommend it if you're going to do running or walking related exercise. However, if you plan on swimming it's a no go (fit bit charge hr is only splash resistant, so no diving, no showering). Also, while cycling, you won't be able to count steps. Not that it really matters in regards to calorie counting (after all, it uses your HR to measure that) but it's another reason to think about it.
    Otherwise, I really like the app and website where you can track many other things.
  • baltojd
    baltojd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had the Nike Fuel, Garmin, UA and the old Nike +. I just got the Apple Watch. Pricey but it combines all my favorite things about the other ones into one watch. Otherwise, I would go with Nike because their site/software are fun.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Step based trackers do not accurately track cycling, lifting, etc. HRMs are not calorie counters and can't accurately approximate for anarobic activity like lifting or yoga and only come close for steady state cardio under a narrow range of conditions.

That's where the question of what data points you want to track comes in. If you're looking for calories burned, you're not going to get an accurate number from any of the devices you listed. If you're looking to track "activity" as a trend line only, all of them can track that to some degree. If you want to track outdoor distance running and/or cycling ... that takes a GPS. If you want to track HR data for the sake of HR data (how fast your HR drops back to normal after exertion, how high your HR gets for comparison over time, etc) you're looking at an add on chest strap or higher end optical HR band (Wahoo, Polar, Garmin, Mio) ... the wrist mounted HR devices such as the fitbit don't do well in testing during exercise.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-accurate-are-wristband-heart-rate-monitors/

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/02/fitbit-charge-review.html
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    alicer461 wrote: »
    Just general gym like cycling, cross trainer, treadmill and weights but eventually I would like to start running :)

If you're doing steady state then any HRM would be OK - you could even get a non watch one (I don't hold with tracking your HR for 24 hours unless you have a heart condition .. there's no real point)

No HRM will track weights or HIIT accurately though

• KateSm33
    KateSm33 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If it comes about fitness watch, I am wondering if it is worthwhile spending money on Swimmo smart watch it counts as you said calories, distance, time as well as heart rate zone and blah blah. However it is especially for swimmers. I am not sure if my replay helps but I am also about buying watch :-)
  • bennett180790
    bennett180790 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    get a polar, get the GPS tracking one, had a fitbit hr, rubbish returned for a refund, i have the loop as i had to give up running but Polar is the best on the market !
  • SFCStank
    SFCStank Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    alicer461 wrote: »
    Just general gym like cycling....

The charge HR is not designed to work well with cycling. Fitbit states this on their website under the fAQ's. They suggest the Surge if you're a cyclist.
  • treesagreen1
    treesagreen1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a misfit flash and it tracks walking, cycling and swimming also a few other sports
  • alicer461
    alicer461 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've decided to go with the polar m400 as it is multisports so i can use it as i get fitter and start to get involved in new sports :)
  • KateSm33
    KateSm33 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it works ! :)) best