Just cardio or weights aswell?

Options
Hey guys I was just wondering which is best for weight loss, 5 days of pure cardio or doing some days of cardio and some of weights?

I'm obviously looking for faster results and I'm young so I would hope I can get fit fairly fast as currently I am very unfit :/. It's just some have told me weights are better for getting in shape?

If anyone could help that'd be great :) x

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great for the added boost of calorie loss (weight lifting isn't going to give you as much), but Weight lifting needs to be there for sure! :smiley: If your picture is any indication, it looks like you don't have much weight to lose so I'd incorporate weight lifting at least half the time (like 2 to 3 days out of your 5 days of working out). You don't want to be skinny fat, so start as soon as possible. Good luck!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what's needed for weight loss. Cardio strengthens your heart, weights help maintain muscle, but they won't help you lose weight if you don't know how much you're eating first.
  • amc29
    amc29 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do 3 days of all cardio, and two days of weight lifting with some cardio! Be sure to make it fun, and change it up! I know I will never be "skinny" and I am ok with that I want to be fit! Good luck!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy weights will give you the kind of body you're hoping for.

weights_zps77901ae3.jpg
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn. Strength training is every bit as important as cardio. :)
  • bearkara
    bearkara Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    A calorie deficit is what's needed for weight loss. Cardio strengthens your heart, weights help maintain muscle, but they won't help you lose weight if you don't know how much you're eating first.

I second this. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Cardio and weights will help to build and tone the muscle underneath the fat! :)

I recommend 3-5 times a week of HIIT cardio, and weights 3-5 times a week depending on your program. I personally do strong lifts 5x5. Its a great weight program and relatively easy to learn. The HIIT cardio is pretty customizable, so do the most you can do.

Please don't avoid weights as many women think they'll get "bulky" and "manly" from them. You won't unless you supplement with steroids. lol.

Doing a combo of cardio and weights its best as you get the benefits of each. Also, have some protein after working out to get the most muscle growth.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Both as they do different complementary things.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Both are good for you but a calorie deficit is all you need to lose the weight. If it makes a difference, almost everyone that waits to start lifting until after they have lost the weight, regrets not lifting sooner.
  • ellesMFP93
    ellesMFP93 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I find weights to be so much more effective than cardio for weight loss. My standard workout is 15-20 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill as a warm up, aiming to keep my heart rate at a fat burning rate (50-60% of your maximum heart rate). Then I do high reps of low weights with shorter rests in between. Very easy to do with small dumbbells or resistance bands if you don't have a gym membership. I work out for an hour to an hour and a half, 2-5 days a week and I've lost 17.5kgs over 3 months. Your body needs more calories to maintain muscle than it does to maintain fat so it will help your metabolism but you also need to be in cal deficit to see results. Feel free to add me :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Both. I was very consistent lifting weights for a long time. I got a dog, start walking him several miles a day, and stopped lifting regularly. I felt like I looked less defined, so I got on the scale and weighed myself for the first time in about two months. I'd lost 3 lbs, but looked puffy and less "toned". Needless to say, I've been pushing myself to get back on my regular lifting schedule.
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    As others have already mentioned, it is mostly all about your diet. Eat at a deficit to lose weight. Lift big weights to maintain as much muscle as possible. You'll be a lot happier with how your body looks if you maintain (and even built) your muscles. Plus more muscles = burn more calories = eat more food. :)

I personally lift 5x5-style three days a week, yoga twice a week and a hiit step-style class once a week for my heart. I 10000000000000000000% prefer how my body looks with increased lifting. It is also great to feel strong. No more lower back or joint pain! :D

Edited to add: Make sure you study proper form when lifting weights. You do not want to unnecessarily injure yourself. With proper form you will also properly target the right muscles, increasing the effectiveness of your workouts. Check out Stronglifts 5x5. It's a great beginner program.
  • alicer461
    alicer461 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the help guys, i think i will change and do cardio 3 days and 2 days of weights/ cardio mix :). when people say cardio deficit what does this mean? burning off more than you eat? I'm sticking to a strict 1200 calories to beguine with
  • darrenj1987
    darrenj1987 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try looking for a metabolic circuit training plan its great for weight loss and includes weights depending on the circuit but alot of muscle fitness I just finished a 8 week plan lost 40lb and gaining alot of muscle growth
  • I_Will_End_You
    edited June 2015
    Options
    alicer461 wrote: »
    thanks for all the help guys, i think i will change and do cardio 3 days and 2 days of weights/ cardio mix :). when people say cardio deficit what does this mean? burning off more than you eat? I'm sticking to a strict 1200 calories to beguine with

Yes. A deficit would be eating less calories than you burn, a surplus would be eating more than you burn.
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was recommended to do strength training as well as cardio so that I maintain my muscle mass and bone density while losing weight.
  • alicer461
    Options
    god wow! I'm going to have to step up my cardio then to burn 1200 calories haha
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Try looking for a metabolic circuit training plan its great for weight loss and includes weights depending on the circuit but alot of muscle fitness I just finished a 8 week plan lost 40lb and gaining alot of muscle growth

This person seems to float around threads giving exactly the same answer.

The answer is that everyone has different goals and methods work differently for everyone. Try both, find what you like and what you think works. If you lift, find a program that you like and stick with it for a while. Don't program hop or you will defeat your purposes. If you like cardio, do cardio. They both have different purposes and lead to different results. It depends on your goals.
  • I_Will_End_You
    edited June 2015
    Options

No you won't. Your body probably burns more than 1200 calories just by existing. Your heart beating, lungs working, cell repair. You burn calories when you eat, sleep, drive a car, take a shower, etc.. Most of the calories we burn per day are due to normal body functions and day to day activities.
  • alicer461
    Options
    phew thats not as dauwnting now :) thanks everyone, its great to have help from such knoledgeable people on here:)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

No. You don't have to burn 1200 calories during your workouts. Your body is constantly burning calories, even while you sleep. "Eating less than your body is burning" refers to ALL the calories your body burns throughout the day. In other words, your TDEE, which is different from your BMR, which is the amount of calories your body would burn per day if you were in a coma - just what's required to keep you alive and functioning. Eating below your BMR is a bad idea if you're also exercising. My guess is that 1200 calories is below your BMR. I hope you're eating back some exercise calories.

There's no need to eat so little when you're working out five days per week. Your body probably isn't performing nearly as well as it could if you gave it more fuel. I lost most of my weight eating 1850 calories per day and I have a desk job. I'm no special snowflake - don't be scared to eat.

As for all cardio vs. cardio and some weights, I vote all weights, no cardio. However, a mixture of both is ideal.