Chest Fly and Inverted Fly

Options
so my gym instructor has given me a new exercise regimen that includes chest fly and inverted fly.
My shoulders and back seem a little sore, but I am more or less alright.
My question is why do I need these? I do not want to look like a professional body builder.

Replies

• tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sounds like a question for your gym instructor. If you want feedback here will get better responses on specific exercises and what they are good/not good for in the Fitness & Exercise section

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/fitness-and-exercise

Also to your last point, there is no one exercise or set of exercises that will make you look like a professional body builder. Body builders work extremely hard for years to look like that.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    They are simply isolation exercises for your pecs and rear delts respectively. They won't make you look like a bodybuilder lol.
  • nivi_r
    nivi_r Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I will go back to my instructor, but would love to hear from other people here as well.
  • nivi_r
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    They are simply isolation exercises for your pecs and rear delts respectively. They won't make you look like a bodybuilder lol.

Right, but what's end result? Why am I exercising just those muscles. That's the part I don't get. I know I sound very ignorant, yes I am.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    nivi_r wrote: »
    Mycophilia wrote: »

Right, but what's end result? Why am I exercising just those muscles. That's the part I don't get. I know I sound very ignorant, yes I am.

Well they will make your pecs and rear delts stronger :smile: . You'll have to ask your instructor as to why you're doing them.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Because those muscles are just as important as any other and those muscles stabalize the chest, back and shoulder girdles? Having stronger accessory muscles assists in stabilizing motions that could potentially cause injury later. Trust in your trainer. If you do not trust your trainer, fire them and get one you do trust. But talk to them about your fears and concerns. If they do not listen to you or explain adequately, then they might not be right for you.
  • CarrC83
    CarrC83 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Flys sick because of the adverse angle and.torsion they put your shoulder in, better exercises would reap the same result.
  • nivi_r
    Options
    CarrC83 wrote: »
    Flys sick because of the adverse angle and.torsion they put your shoulder in, better exercises would reap the same result.
    That's my point actually. My shoulders felt sore, I was afraid I was going to hurt myself. Would like to understand what are the benefits of this and if there are any better alternatives. And then discuss this with my trainer. I don't think he has much experience helping women.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    nivi_r wrote: »
    CarrC83 wrote: »
    That's my point actually. My shoulders felt sore, I was afraid I was going to hurt myself. Would like to understand what are the benefits of this and if there are any better alternatives. And then discuss this with my trainer. I don't think he has much experience helping women.

Men and women do not need to train to lift differently. That is a myth that does not need to continue forward. If you have misgivings, talk to your trainer, not the internet. You don't pay your trainer the money that you do in order to second guess them or not have them listen to your needs/desires.

I can't stress this enough. Talk to your trainer. Have them explain themselves to you and if you don't agree... hire a different trainer. You pay them to help you and if they are not doing that, they are not worth the money. If they are not listening to you or explaining when you ask questions, be worried. Express yourself to them.... if they do not live up to your expectations or goals... hire a different trainer. Just because they are a trainer does not make them infallible or even a good trainer. If they don't listen to you, they are not a good trainer.

Talk to your trainer.
  • nivi_r
    Options

I can't stress this enough. Talk to your trainer. Have them explain themselves to you and if you don't agree... hire a different trainer. You pay them to help you and if they are not doing that, they are not worth the money. If they are not listening to you or explaining when you ask questions, be worried. Express yourself to them.... if they do not live up to your expectations or goals... hire a different trainer. Just because they are a trainer does not make them infallible or even a good trainer. If they don't listen to you, they are not a good trainer.

Talk to your trainer.

This exactly.

My gym has only one trainer, you don't get to choose.
    I know I should completely trust him, but I want to know why I am doing something.and especially more because I don't feel comfortable. Maybe because I am doing it for the first time. Or maybe not.

But I would like to know the benefits!!
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Again... talk to your trainer. There are plenty of programs and plans that you can do yourself, but doing a new exercise, any exercise, especially for the first time is going to cause some soreness. There's a word for it... it's called DOMS.

Your trainer should explain the benefits to you, but you have to ask.

But, benefits will include, balanced muscular growth. (you have to train the whole body, not just specific parts... unless your goals require it) Secure, stable joints for other lifts. Better health, better durability, better overall consistency in your training ability. Increased ability in other lifts as well.

The body is a system, and you have to train all parts of it.

Talk with your trainer, tell them about your fears and curiosity. Have them explain their method and reasoning. Then keep up with your program.

If you don't like the answers, find a better trainer (if you can't at your gym then don't find a trainer, find a program) or a program that you like and can do on your own.