Seriously hate exercising...tips?

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What they all said about finding something you enjoy . I would say you could reprogram your mind and look at the of being faster, stronger and fitter. Sometimes its hard, sometimes it boring, but when you make progress, it can be really rewarding.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Personally, finding physical activities that work my brain as much as my body make me more likely to enjoy them. My goal is to learn something new each year...so far it's been tap dancing and aerial arts - both very physical, but I have to think in order to learn and progress so I stay interested longer.

Maybe think of something like this (dance, yoga, or a self defense class, I like the idea of bowling and roller skating suggested above) so many things that can be internalized as a hobby instead of "exercise"
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't care to work out either, in the traditional sense. I enjoy biking, hiking, walking and dancing...so I tend to lean towards those activities. I do weight train, although probably NOT as much as I should.
  • brikachuu
    brikachuu Posts: 30 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This might sound crazy to some but have you ever tried hypnosis ? I'm a believer that we unconsciously make obstacles for ourselves that keep us from believing we are capable of doing things when in reality we are very much capable. Some people think it's lame, but hey...it wouldn't hurt. I actually have several hypnosis apps on my phone (the only apps I have EVER paid for). One of them is specifically for helping you to enjoy exercise.. In fact its called "enjoy exercise" by surf city apps. I also have the "weight loss" one and I honestly can see the difference in my mind set. There are free versions of the apps you just have to sit through a short "intro" every time. And if they don't help... They're at least extremely relaxing lol
  • yorkshiregirl67
    yorkshiregirl67 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    l like the rowing machine but each to their own. I am looking for a 2nd form of fitness and I am considering skipping!!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I use to be like you OP. I hated exercising too. Exercise was not fun, and I had virtually no interest in it. When I finally decided I wanted to be healthy AND fit, however, I knew I would have to eat less AND exercise. When I initially started exercising (tried zumba, walking, treadmill, elliptical, biking, running, weight lifting, yoga, Pilates, workout classes, etc.), I would tell myself before and during the activity that I was doing this because I had to. Guess what? It's been 1 1/2 years, and there are many days that I still have to tell myself that same thing. :) There are some exercises that I have grown to enjoy despite not initially wanting to do any of them.

Eating less and exercising has definitely paid off though. I am down 82 lbs., and I am fitter than I've ever been in my adult life. Are there days I don't want to exercise? Certainly. What do I do you ask? I exercise anyway. Why? Because I want to continue to be healthy and fit for the rest of my life.

Once you find the reason behind why you want to exercise, that may give you the motivation to make it more tolerable. Wishing you the best!
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I used to greatly dislike exercise and said that somehow I--unlike other people--just didn't get that endorphin thing at all. At 27, I started working out regularly to get stronger because I had trouble with heavy doors and stuff like that. That goal kept me going long enough for me to discover that I had to build a certain base of strength and endurance that I'd never had before I started to enjoy it. It also wasn't a sudden endorphin rush that made me start to kind of like exercise--it really makes a difference to notice you feel physically better after exercising (for instance, I found my back was a lot less achy and my posture was better).

That said, everyone is right to suggest you look for an activity you enjoy that is also physically active. My husband and I took up partner dancing a year and a half ago and we go for as many hours a week as we can manage. It feels like fun, but it has really helped me get stronger and gain stamina after an illness.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    1. Change. Your. Attitude.
    2. Join a team sport.
    3. Challenge yourself.

Team sports can make you want to get stronger and faster to be better at your game. Release your inner tiger. You may find yourself liking and wanting to lift heavier and move faster during your strength and cardio sessions. Seeing and feeling your muscles is great incouragement too.

Challenge yourself with 5-15 minute body weight exercises if team sports is not your thing. Always try to beat your time. Pop Sugar has an app filled with quick challenges.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It helped me get started on exercise when I started working activity into my everyday life. Take the distant parking space at work, take a short walk on a lunch break, bicycle or walk to work, walk to the store if there is one nearby, etc. Is there a destination you could walk to in your neighborhood? I live a mile from Whole Foods, so sometimes I walk there to pick up something I'm out of rather than just adding it to the shopping list. It's just an excuse to get out and have some exercise and fresh air. If I have room in my calorie budget, I might buy me some kind of treat. I am more motivated when I am walking toward a cupcake. :) Gotta be careful about doing that too often ha ha.

I also find it is helpful if I have some sort of goal for my exercise. Just running aimlessly on a treadmill for a specific period of time is dreadful, I avoid it. Instead set a goal that you are training for, like a 5K race that you will slowly build up to, or to develop the fitness to hike a specific trail that is too challenging right now. Just some goal that will keep you motivated so it isn't just a mindless calorie burning activity but an actual part of accomplishing a fitness goal that is important to you.

Finally, I find it more engaging when my environment is interesting. Like when I hike in a scenic place like the woods or a lake or some interesting place to see. Maybe even a neighborhood with pretty houses to look at. I'm enjoying the view and some quiet time alone, not watching the clock at all. I live near a botanical garden and I have a membership that allows me to walk around anytime. They do yoga in the garden when weather is pretty.
  • starz160
    starz160 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! It's a personal obstacle that I know I can overcome. I just need to get motivated ;)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    starz160 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone! It's a personal obstacle that I know I can overcome. I just need to get motivated ;)
    I use events for extra motivation and schedule my training to accommodate them.
    • August 2nd, I will be doing my first Warrior Dash
    • August 15th, my first Push/Pull meet
    • September, a fun 6K I do every year - which also end cardio season and begins bulk season
    In lieu of, you could find something on your calendar that would help motivate you. For example, I also have a 25 Year HS reunion in mid-August that I want to look sharp for, perhaps you have something of the same?
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was in the same boat for a long time.

I ONLY enjoy exercising when I am fit and/or seeing noticeable results. That's why an intense daily program and radical diet change like p90x was a great first step for me. And the monotony of running is horrible -- I can't stand it! I get so bored running and tend toward shin splints, so I love mixing it up with yoga one day, kenpo another, core training another -- thrown in with some resistance training and lots of stretching. But the first three weeks of my first p90x run were some of the sorest and most challenging days ever -- I was hungry, I was angry, I felt bitter and weak.

I also need a specific goal in mind. Training for something, whether it's an intense hike, obstacle course, snowboarding trip, group sport etc... knowing that my goal is overall strength, flexibility, and performance for something is a HUGE motivator. In fact, if I didn't invent reasons to be in shape, I wouldn't be able to motivate to workout just because.

Hope this rambling reply was helpful :). Good luck!! (And don't listen to people who say you can "just diet" to lose weight. That's harder. And freaking unsustainable. Working out gives you calories to spare and peace of mind so you don't develop an unhealthy relationship with food with food scale, calorie counting etc...).
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It will be a struggle to be honest. I'd recommend trying to incorporate it into your schedule so it just becomes routine. In time you may grow to enjoy it but just keep grinding it out. Also id recommend trying different activities and you may find one you like.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Be a kid again, I can't stress this enough with people. What did you do for fun as a kid? Most of us used swings, played ball of some kind, had a hula hoop, rollerskated or rollerbladed and so on. Just because your an adult doesn't mean you can't do all/any of those things.

Sometimes I even challenge kids to a who can hula hoop longer or most baskets made wins or hopscotch. It's just about movement in my mind, get up and move, simple as that.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I used to hate exercising as well- I don't what changed, but I really enjoy it now and really enjoy being active. At first, in January when I started going to the gym, I absolutely hated it, now I hate the days I have to miss the gym. I think once you start doing something and make it habit, you actually start to enjoy it.
  • Northernlight03
    Northernlight03 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I use to hate exercise, would work my way out of doing any and would never even thing about running but for me I now realise it was down to my self a steam, I felt stupid working out, like people would look at me and think look at all that sweat and she isn't even doing it right and that made me give up to easy as I'd be out of breath and telling my self I can't do it, I'm too unfit! But your mind is a powerful thing we just need to learn how to control it and use positive thoughts as I truly believe that what got me thru it and I'm doing my first 5k in 2 weeks. If I can do it u can :)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    grin and bear it. its part of a healthy lifestyle...you do not have to love it or even like it..you just have to do it.

I am 55 I have been working out and in the gym for most of my adult life..since my early twenties. I have probably tried every type of trainging around over the years...at some point...you do what is efficient regardless if you like it love it or not. Exercise is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle..."JUST DO IT" ad says it best. Some days you love it..some days you don't and sometimes you can be just indifferent about it..regardelss of how we feel it has to be done!

For those who have just recently "found" this lifestyle ...check back in thirty five years.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    starz160 wrote: »

I would recommend that you not wait around for motivation or rely on it. Make a habit- stick to the habit- if after a few months you really still hate it- move on to the next thing. But the reality is- that no matter what you love doing- at some point it's going to not be loved- and it's going to feel annoying and a burden. But you keep doing it- and you push through the hard times- no matter what they are.

I love lifting- I love my job- and I love my BF.

And there are times when all of them suck. seriously- and I want NOTHING to do with them. But I keep lifting- and keep going to my job and I keep hanging out with my BF. Because I love them and in the long run they are good for my life good for me and make me happy. But I don't wait for motivation for them- because its' a fleeting wiff that doesn't last. "Motivation" will ALWAYS let you down.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    like everyone else says - exercise isn't necessary to just lose, but it can be a strange motivator and allow you to eat a little more some days. I'm in the same boat as you. I hate working out (strength training can be fun, but I hate cardio). The only exercise I truly enjoy is a long, leisurely walk around my neighborhood.

So, if you want to incorporate exercise, just try to find something you can enjoy. like.. a local kickball league, walking a pet, etc. But if you can't, don't worry and focus on food.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    There is a massive difference between exercise - which is essential to our health - and performing an activty...which we do for fun.