Disney World Trip

Options
Hey guys. So I'm leaving for Disney World in 12 days. Does anyone have any tips on how to stay under my 1350 goal? Also any tips on how to do that without my mother & best friend noticing? They don't support me loosing weight, so that's why I am asking.

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You will be walking a ton so don't get too caught up in the 1350 goal. However, Disney does a good job of having more healthy options like fresh fruit and salads. Order a chicken sandwich without the roll (or just take it off), choose to order off the kids menu, drink lots of water and stay away from "sweet" drinks, see if you can share a plate with your mom or friend. My 15 yr old and I share meals all the time.

Read this:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/02/04/eating-healthy-in-walt-disney-world/

Remember - it's a vacation, have a good time.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I was there, but I think most of their eating establishments (even the cheap ones) still sell grilled chicken sandwiches, or some relatively low-cal alternative to a burger. Order a grilled chicken, minus the mayo. Eat 1/2 your fries. Last time I did that, I knocked a 750 calorie meal down to a 400 calorie meal.

Also, avoid drinking your calories. In the middle of the day, when everyone wants to go for an icee, coke, or lemonade, opt for water.

And finally, avoid "fair" food, such as funnel cakes, ice cream treats, fudge, or anything unneccessarily fried (unless you have the calorie allotment).

Make sure to have fun though! I don't know about you, but Disney World is a once-a-decade or less treat for me, so I wouldn't feel to bad for indulging. I'd just keep logging and get back on the horse when I got back. I might gain a pound or two, but a couple of weeks back on the deficit and it would be gone - and it'd be worth the fun I had on vacation!
  • jellio98
    jellio98 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was there last November. It was before I started counting calories - but I managed to lose a couple pounds anyway from all the walking. I think I remember reading somewhere that the average person walks 6-10 miles a day while there. I would recommend that you try to make reasonable food choices, and realize you have a bit of a buffer with the calories you'll burn walking everywhere.
  • tashigolean34
    tashigolean34 Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I live in Orlando. It is 105 plus degrees with the heat index. LOTS and LOTS of water. For me, when it's that hot out, I find it very hard to overeat. Also, most people average 5-10 miles a day at Disney so as long as you don't go crazy, you shouldn't do much damage. Almost all of the quick service locations have salads, you can order sandwiches without fries or chips even if it doesn't list that as an option on the menu, or you can get apple slices in lew of chips with most sandwiches as well. Disney is very accomodating.

Oh and all quick service locations (walk up restaurants not carts) will give you free cups of ice water if you ask. This water comes from the filter on the soda machine and doesn't have the not so lovely flavor our Florida tap water is known for.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    A day at Disney World is usually 20,000 to 25,000 steps. I can usually eat whatever I want and come away from the week only up a pound or two which is quickly lost.

Rather than spending the week worrying about what you're eating and logging everything just be sensible about your choices and have fun.
  • starlitwaters
    starlitwaters Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    A day at Disney World is usually 20,000 to 25,000 steps. I can usually eat whatever I want and come away from the week only up a pound or two which is quickly lost.

Rather than spending the week worrying about what you're eating and logging everything just be sensible about your choices and have fun.

Exactly this.
  • jnmrie
    jnmrie Posts: 145 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Yes. This is exactly my plan when I go to Disney. You're going on vacation. Enjoy it and have a ton of fun!

I forgot to mention-- Dole whips! If you like pineapple try a dole whip while you're there. They are delicious and I believe they're pretty low calorie. :smile:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    When I went to Disney last time (in 2012), I made my goal only about 200 calories under projected maintenance and used my FitBit to add calories due to the walking. I ate whatever I wanted but tracked it and maintained while I was there.
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    In Magic Kingdom, there are some great healthy options. At Columbia Harbor house near the Haunted Mansion, you can get delicious bowl of vegetarian chili. The village market has tons of fresh fruit optio8, including yummy pineapple spears. Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe has half a rotisserie chicken with 2 sides (maybe split that with your mom or friend? ).
    At Hollywood Studios you can get a vegetable sandwich at Backlot Express.
    At animal kingdom, I think Flame Tree BBQ has some healthy options.

If you Google "healthy eating at Disney world", you'll find tons of websites that list the healthy options at the various parks and resorts.

But please, for the love of all things Disney, have a Mickey bar while you're there and enjoy every last delicious bite.
  • Dawn410
    Options
    I don't count calories at disney, but even usually go for a week. Between the heat, the walking, and the attractions, I usually don't have much of an appetite. I typically come home 5-10 lbs lighter, without really paying attention to calories.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    avoid pop/soda
    stick to lean meats
    avoid bread and other calorie heavy food.

With all the walking, you will probably burn an additional 1000 calories, so you definitely have room to eat more.
  • daringraider
    daringraider Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    "
    Hey guys. So I'm leaving for Disney World in 12 days. Does anyone have any tips on how to stay under my 1350 goal? Also any tips on how to do that without my mother & best friend noticing? They don't support me loosing weight, so that's why I am asking.

I notice that no one has picked up on the statement that you want to hide your losing weight from your mother and friend. That seems psychologically and relationally unhealthy. Why don't they want you to lose weight?

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    We are annual pass holders, we go all the time. Forget the 1350 goal, do maintenance calories. All 4 parks have a fruit stand or places to buy fruit, etc. They also have baked pretzels with hummus, carrot sticks, etc. Most all restaurants, including the fast foods ones, have lean meats, chicken, fish, etc. I do recommend a treat every day. I walk average about 5-7 miles for Hollywood and Animal Kingdom (smaller parks), 10-17 miles for Epcot and Magic Kingdom (bigger parks). Have fun. Will be going on July 11 to Hollywood Studios. ;)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    "

I notice that no one has picked up on the statement that you want to hide your losing weight from your mother and friend. That seems psychologically and relationally unhealthy. Why don't they want you to lose weight?
    Because while it's disturbing it's outside the scope of the thread, really. I'd rather get across the point that you shouldn't be trying to lose weight every single day including vacations, parties, etc. than to try to analyze why a 19 year old's family doesn't think she needs to lose weight.
  • Serah87
    edited June 2015
    Options
    JMC3Terp wrote: »
    avoid pop/soda
    stick to lean meats
    avoid bread and other calorie heavy food.
    With all the walking, you will probably burn an additional 1000 calories, so you definitely have room to eat more.
    No you won't. I go all the time and have a fitbit.

Bread is fine OP.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Never eat a whole turkey leg from one of the vendors. There's around a 1,000 calories in one of those things.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    jnmrie wrote: »

Yes. This is exactly my plan when I go to Disney. You're going on vacation. Enjoy it and have a ton of fun!

I forgot to mention-- Dole whips! If you like pineapple try a dole whip while you're there. They are delicious and I believe they're pretty low calorie. :smile:

I just had to go and look and see if I could find the calories in a Dole Whip

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1/2 cup prepared (86g)

Servings Per Container: 72

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 80
    Fat Calories: 5
    Per Serving
    Total Fat .5 g
    Saturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Sodium 30 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 18 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Sugars 17 g
    Protein 0 g

Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 2 %
    Calcium 0 %
    Iron 2 %
  • Dawn410
    edited June 2015
    Options
    "

I picked up on it, but I don't know OP to say whether she needs to lose weight or not. I have very unsupportive people in my life. My mom tells me all the time not to lose weight. I think she'd rather I be fat like her than fit and healthy (misery loves company), so OP could be in a similar situation. I don't discuss my weight loss with my mom either, and I'm 31. When I visit, she pushes and pushes for me to eat junk food nonstop.

There is nothing wrong with a 19 year old aiming to make healthy choices while on vacation . We all know that without planning, we are easily tempted by crap food.

• Serah87
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dawn410 wrote: »
    "

I picked up on it, but I don't know OP to say whether she needs to lose weight or not. I have very unsupportive people in my life. My mom tells me all the time not to lose weight. I think she'd rather I be fat like her than fit and healthy (misery loves company), so OP could be in a similar situation. I don't discuss my weight loss with my mom either, and I'm 31. When I visit, she pushes and pushes for me to eat junk food nonstop.

There is nothing wrong with a 19 year old aiming to make healthy choices while on vacation . We all know that without planning, we are easily tempted by crap food .
    What's crap food??

When I am at Disney I eat food, in moderation.
  • im_simply_karen
    im_simply_karen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    "

Because while it's disturbing it's outside the scope of the thread, really. I'd rather get across the point that you shouldn't be trying to lose weight every single day including vacations, parties, etc. than to try to analyze why a 19 year old's family doesn't think she needs to lose weight.

Yea I realize it is outside this thread. I only put it on b/c I wasn't sure where it would go & it is related to the trip.