Disney World Trip

Options

Replies

• fit4lifemom
    fit4lifemom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    great thread - we are going in 3 weeks and i was wondering the same thing about how to stay on track. Hope you have a great time!
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Crap food = junk food. If I don't go in with a plan of I'll eat x for breakfast, y for lunch, z for dinner and A for snacks, then I am prone to say "a serving of fries won't hurt, another ice cream is fine, the Olaf cupcake is a treat" and all of a sudden I've gone way over my intended calories. And don't even let me near that Nutella and fruit waffle....
  • im_simply_karen
    im_simply_karen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    "
    Hey guys. So I'm leaving for Disney World in 12 days. Does anyone have any tips on how to stay under my 1350 goal? Also any tips on how to do that without my mother & best friend noticing? They don't support me loosing weight, so that's why I am asking.

I notice that no one has picked up on the statement that you want to hide your losing weight from your mother and friend. That seems psychologically and relationally unhealthy. Why don't they want you to lose weight?

They don't believe I need to loose weight, even though I am 5'6 and 140 lb. I personally think, at that weight & height, I do need to loose weight.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Dawn410 wrote: »
    Crap food = junk food. If I don't go in with a plan of I'll eat x for breakfast, y for lunch, z for dinner and A for snacks, then I am prone to say "a serving of fries won't hurt, another ice cream is fine, the Olaf cupcake is a treat" and all of a sudden I've gone way over my intended calories. And don't even let me near that Nutella and fruit waffle....

I go to Disney all the time and I fit all that stuff into my calories. I lost 121 pounds and now been maintaining for 9 months and my doctor says I am in excellent health eating what you call "crap food".
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Dawn410 wrote: »

I go to Disney all the time and I fit all that stuff into my calories. I lost 121 pounds and now been maintaining for 9 months and my doctor says I am in excellent health eating what you call "crap food".

And that's good that you can do that on a whim. Give yourself a pat on the back or something. Not everyone can. I know myself, a failure to plan is a plan for failure. It sounds like the OP is wanting to preplan her meals as well, so that she doesn't eat nothing but junk the whole week. I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    "
    Hey guys. So I'm leaving for Disney World in 12 days. Does anyone have any tips on how to stay under my 1350 goal? Also any tips on how to do that without my mother & best friend noticing? They don't support me loosing weight, so that's why I am asking.

I notice that no one has picked up on the statement that you want to hide your losing weight from your mother and friend. That seems psychologically and relationally unhealthy. Why don't they want you to lose weight?

They don't believe I need to loose weight, even though I am 5'6 and 140 lb. I personally think, at that weight & height, I do need to loose weight.

For your height (which is mine as well) the healthy weight range is 118-154 so 140 is in the healthy weight range BUT if you want to lose a few more pounds it would still be ok.

As for what to eat I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's a vacation after all so have fun and just make better food choices, again as others have said with all the walking around you will be doing and being in the heat you probably won't want to eat a whole lot either, my family and I went a few years ago during Christmas and even then I wasn't all too hungry with the walking and going on rides. Have fun!!!!!

• im_simply_karen
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    A day at Disney World is usually 20,000 to 25,000 steps. I can usually eat whatever I want and come away from the week only up a pound or two which is quickly lost.

Rather than spending the week worrying about what you're eating and logging everything just be sensible about your choices and have fun.

Well I'm glad that works for you, but I'm not ok with gaining any weight while I'm there. Vacations are supposed to be fun & if i spend the whole thing wondering how much weight I've gained, it'll suck. Also coming home and seeing that I gained weight, will make me regret the trip.
  • im_simply_karen
    Options
    "

For your height (which is mine as well) the healthy weight range is 118-154 so 140 is in the healthy weight range BUT if you want to lose a few more pounds it would still be ok.

As for what to eat I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's a vacation after all so have fun and just make better food choices, again as others have said with all the walking around you will be doing and being in the heat you probably won't want to eat a whole lot either, my family and I went a few years ago during Christmas and even then I wasn't all too hungry with the walking and going on rides. Have fun!!!!!

Thank you for the advice & I'm sure I'll have fun. And yes, I knew that I am within the healthy range. I am trying to get on the lower end of that range though as my goal weight is 120lb
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    A day at Disney World is usually 20,000 to 25,000 steps. I can usually eat whatever I want and come away from the week only up a pound or two which is quickly lost.

Rather than spending the week worrying about what you're eating and logging everything just be sensible about your choices and have fun.

Well I'm glad that works for you, but I'm not ok with gaining any weight while I'm there. Vacations are supposed to be fun & if i spend the whole thing wondering how much weight I've gained, it'll suck. Also coming home and seeing that I gained weight, will make me regret the trip.
    Then I honestly and truly feel sorry for you.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I see some issues here, now I understand why you don't want your mother to know.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Seems like a day where it might be better for ya to eat at maintenance what do you say ...? you wont gain or lose.. parks* almost all their food are high calorie.. even their giant turkey leg hahaha . all iv'e went to ive never seen salads of any sort .. just alot of fried foods . i went to kings dominion 4 days ago and saw the turkey legs they were huge! atleast i think that was turkey ..
  • StacyJ8888
    StacyJ8888 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What are you meal plans...quick service? Table service? Allears.net has menus for each restaurant that will help you make a mini plan as far as healthier choices go. Also plan on lots and lots of water, if you have a car pick up some cases of water on your way to the hotel. Quick service? Most will have grilled chicken sandwich options, I order without the bun because of gluten sensitivity, instead of fries I get the apple slices.
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love Disney food! I sometimes order a kids meal for myself at quick service restaurants because portion sizes can be huge. With a kids meal you can get a cheeseburger or chicken fingers or whatever else they have, but you get an option of two sides. You can get apple slices, carrots, French fries... Just to name a few options. So you can get a smaller kids size portion of the main entree and some healthy sides to balance out your meal so it fits into your calorie goals.

Also, there is a fresh fruit stand near the safari at Animal Kingdom, and I always get a big chunk of pineapple there - it is very refreshing on a hot day :)

I hope you have a great trip!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    We went to Disney for a week last year. I did not log and instead, I allowed myself to eat what I wanted to eat. There were a few days when I ate a ton but just as many when I ate reasonably. I weighed myself when I got home on Saturday night and was 4 pounds heavier than when I left. By the time I weighed myself on Tuesday morning, it was all gone.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    For me ... it would be a matter of avoiding mini doughnuts and Dippin' Dots.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    "

You're in a healthy BMI (we are the same height), so you don't need to lose weight. But I can see why you want to. I feel better around 130-135 and I have a... voluptuous figure I guess which prevents me from getting too low... It does seem to make a difference.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters that you really do need to be able to enjoy life and part of that is enjoying a vacation without worrying so much. I've also never gained weight (at least not real weight sometimes some bloating that goes away within the next week) on a Disney vacation because of all of the walking.

I recommend you make healthy choices but balance those with some indulgence too. Like do have ONE mickey bar (they are truly the best!), but if your family is having them everyday, maybe have the sugar free strawberry bars on the other days (they're only 50 calories and delicious)! Don't do the frozen lemonade, though, it has more calories than the mickey bars and isn't nearly as good! The dole whip is another excellent choice, just get it without the pineapple juice (although that is really delicious). Maybe have a few bites of funnel cake with your family, but then have a grilled chicken salad for lunch. Most restaurants there have healthy options now and they will sub out things like fries if you ask. Anyway, the point is find a balance and you will be able to at the very least maintain for the week, while still having fun without your mom and sister noticing. :wink:

Good luck but more importantly HAVE FUN!!!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    "

i am your height and i personally want to weigh less than 140 lbs, too. i know what you mean about hiding your weight loss. my mother is the same way with me today, and i'm 44 years old! she thinks that i am fine at the weight i am now (167 lbs) and anytime i mention my weight loss goals, she tells me that i look fine and tells me to stop trying to lose. everyone needs to decide on their own what they want to weigh. funny enough, i am going to disneyworld with my mom at end august, so i will also be asking this same question! thanks for the post!!!!!!!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options

Thank you for the advice & I'm sure I'll have fun. And yes, I knew that I am within the healthy range. I am trying to get on the lower end of that range though as my goal weight is 120lb

my goal weight is 124. i have been there before, and i WILL be there again. and personally, i don't blame you for wanting to stick to your diet plans while on vaca. even though it might be a bit more stressful, i agree with you that i would rather count calories while on vaca than come home & find that i've gained 10 pounds that i worked so hard to lose.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

A 19yo running around Disney World isn't going to gain weight unless almost all of your food choices are calorie-dense. You can follow the tips some of the posters gave above, but don't feel bad about eating junk food while you're there. One thing you should learn--you are allowed to have a life outside of weight loss. Because if you deprive yourself too much, you binge when you hit goal and put it all back on. Trust.

I live in central Florida and co-sign drinking a ton of water.

As for your family not supporting you--I get it. I'm 5'6" and 139 and am recomping while hearing unsolicited remarks from family. My only advice is to grow a thicker skin and change the subject when they bring it up.