a pushup!

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
Some people will laugh about it, but I just managed to do not one, but two proper pushups! I don't know what's up with that exercise because it take ages for me to work myself up to one, or even more, and very quickly I lose that ability again. Don't get me wrong: I can deadlift my bodyweight and are generally not weak. But pushups... no idea. Ok, I got a totally red head doing those two, and somehow managed to pull a muscle in the one opposite the biceps, but I did it!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    That is Awesome!
    I am working myself up to there as well.

On a good day I can do 8 good form push ups on the back of my couch (lower than table, higher than chair).
  • yirara
    Options
    Congrats AslSmile! Those pushups are just annoying. Maybe it's just us ladies having less upper body strength than men.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I'm good with push ups, but terrible at pull ups. I cant even do one lol! I think it's because my back muscles are shyte. I need to work on my back more. Well done on your push up. Do them on your knees to help build upper body strength?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I can in theory do them on my knees in group classes, but I know my form is bad. This way I'm slowly build my strength while maintaining form :)

And yes yirara, we are unfortunate enough that it just doesn't come effortless. My boyfriend who does not work out at all can easily do a couple of pretty good form push ups on his toes. He just naturally has the muscles for it.
    I will however slow and steady work up to the point I surpass him! ;)
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hooray! Isn't it great when some kind of exercise that was in a "I can't even do one" category becomes a "yep, I can do that, multiple times even!" exercise? :smiley: Keep it up!
  • yirara
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I can in theory do them on my knees in group classes, but I know my form is bad. This way I'm slowly build my strength while maintaining form :)

And yes yirara, we are unfortunate enough that it just doesn't come effortless. My boyfriend who does not work out at all can easily do a couple of pretty good form push ups on his toes. He just naturally has the muscles for it.
    I will however slow and steady work up to the point I surpass him! ;)

Phew... it's not fair!
    Yes, when I do circuit training I usually do the pushups on my knees, however I always end up with bruises across my knee caps because I engage my core and not stick my butt out, which means I need to roll over my knee caps. When doing circuits I don't manage to do one single normal pushups. Also doesn't really work with burpees. Oh well... one day. Maybe :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Congrats!! That's awesome.

Every journey begins with a single step- in fitness sometimes that step is just a simple push up.

As for the push up in burpees- do a modified burpee and use a chair and or the step risers- put your hands on them and jump back- do your push up then jump forward.

being said *****Very VERY important that you understand where your weight is and that you aren't pushing FORWARD at a like a 45* angle*** Your shoulders must be over your wrists- and you must have all force/energy through the shoulders straight into the hands.

Why you ask.

Good question.

Because if you aren't pushing STRAIGHT DOWN- the chair will slide- or whatever you are using will push over/knock over.

If you are straight down from shoulder to wrist- no forward/angled energy- then you can use almost any surface and not knock it over.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! My trainer makes me do them, i hate them - I would rather do planks any day over push ups. Surprisingly I am finding that I can do more of them each time I do them.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I think I can finally do one or two after many months of working up to them.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Push-ups are difficult! Like you, I had to work my way up to it, started by holding a plank (at the time didn't know it was a plank, lol) on my knees. Now I'm working my way to full push-ups.

Congrats! That moment when you accomplish a goal…awesome, well done!

@JoRocka, you are a wealth of information :flowerforyou:
  • yirara
    Options
    Yay, did my two pushups again. I did an extensive strength circle earlier on today, which involved pushups, but again there it didn't work. I think the problem might be because my feet are sliding away on the slippery tile floor. Alternative would be to tear my workout mat to pieces. But anyway, just did my two with bare feet. No slipping, nice form :smiley:
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Oh man I'm in the same boat! I did my first pushup and my first pullup earlier this year. Keep it up!
  • yirara
    Options
    Congrats, DRM! Pullups is a completely different story alltogether for me. If I jump slightly I can pull myself up the last bit and let myself down slowly, but that's about it.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have a pull up bar that I put an assist band on (an elastic band you hang off the bar and put your foot into to help pull you up, if you aren't familiar with what that is). If you can get a setup like that it's a great way to work up to it. I got to where i could get my forehead level with the bar while unassited then one day just on a whim i pulled myself up all the way. It was very exciting.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    push ups. ugh

I prefer straight arm plank to forearm plank and back up. and side planks. I can hold the pull up position. not really pull up or chin up. I will get there

congrats on getting them done :)
  • Clo747
    Clo747 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well done, you! And also, I'm so pleased to hear I'm not the only one who really struggles with them! Everyone else seems to just get on effortlessly while I'm left feeling like a lump!
  • LateWinterWolf90
    LateWinterWolf90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thats great. i still can't do 1 proper one. I just do kneeling pushups. One day mabeys lol
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! We all need to master push-ups. I do them four days a week--most are elevated--the floor is killer--Need. To. Push. Harder.

For beginners, elevated push-ups may be better than knee push-ups. I think pressing from counter, chair or step height helps you engage your core (abs/glutes) and quads more than pressing from knees.

Grasping Dumbbells or handles may help with (stiff wrists) the floor push-up.
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks! I have a pull up bar that I put an assist band on (an elastic band you hang off the bar and put your foot into to help pull you up, if you aren't familiar with what that is). If you can get a setup like that it's a great way to work up to it. I got to where i could get my forehead level with the bar while unassited then one day just on a whim i pulled myself up all the way. It was very exciting.

Good idea! I thought about that, but can only put a pullup bar in a not very high door opening. When I do slow negatives I have to angle my lower legs a bit :* But I'll keep that idea in mind for at the gym.