Shake that tastes decent?

I would really like to start substituting some sort of nutritious shake for my breakfast. Something that will fill me up until my mid-morning snack of carrot sticks! I have tried a few and they have that musty, fake smell. Others have a horrible after taste. I can gulp it down and brush my teeth after, but I prefer not to be miserable first thing in the morning! Why can't they make a Yoo-Hoo flavored drink that is good for you?!! I'd prefer to stick to something I can buy at the grocery or health food store. I'm not really into the Shakeology type of stuff. TIA

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Use fresh produce and substitute water for almond milk for a low calorie calcium boost. Trust me, we didn't all perfect or green smoothies on the first try. Just use the freshest ingrients possible, and don't forget to include proteins, fats, and carbs
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    I like the Muscle Milk line of protein drinks, particularly because they have a 'light' version that I can drink for a snack. Any others I've tried have a nasty flavor that I either have to choke down or throw away.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,646 Member
    Sonic's coconut cream pie shake is pretty good.
  • trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    I use a muscle milk protein powder, 1% milk or almond milk, 1 cup frozen or fresh berries (depending on what i have in the house), and 1 or 1/2 a banana. I really like it and so does my toddler.
  • AprilFire04
    AprilFire04 Posts: 18 Member
    herbalife's shakes are pretty decent, especially mixed with milk. If they are not mixed well, they tend to taste powdery, but the powder is flavourful!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    I'd just combine almond milk, protein source (either a powder you like or greek yogurt would work well), and fruit that you like. I sometimes like adding some rolled oats (like 1-2 tbsp) and grinding it up in the blender too. I find it makes it more filling, but not everyone likes the taste or texture. Also consider adding nut butters if you like (or PB2 for less calories). A small amount of mini chocolate chips (after blending) can make it into a nice treat for not too many calories.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Try a smoothie bowl! You can jam a lot of different fruits and veggies in there, plus add toppings :smiley:
    I have a hard time with shakes/smoothies as a meal because I "need" to masticate and a smoothie bowl allows me to do that and get all those wonderful micros. My only caution is keep an eye on calories, since they add up really fast it seems like.
    I did a green one earlier this week and want to do chocolate/nutty one next.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    My favorite so far is Sunwarrior's Clasic protein shake. It's made of brown rice, easy to digest. It mixes very well in a regular blender bottle. It's very smooth and if mixed with almond milk it is thick as well.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    What is your reason for wanting to use a liquid meal substitute instead of just eating normal food?
  • mistib1229
    mistib1229 Posts: 14 Member
    I haven't personally found any protein powder that tastes good enough to just mix with a liquid and drink. I do a scoop of chocolate powder, 1 cup milk, a half or full banana, and 1-2 tbs of peanut butter. It's pretty tasty!
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    When I don't feel like making a fruit based shake my go to's are:

chocolate peanut butter cup shake:
    1 or 2 handfuls of greens (spinach, kale, etc.)
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I'm currently using the Six Star triple chocolate)
    2 tbsp PB2 (or regular peanut butter if you prefer)
    1 cup liquid (I use vanilla almond or soy milk)
    ice cubes (as many as you want to get desired texture)

creamy caramel shake:
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    2 tbsp butterscotch pudding mix
    1 or 2 tbsp sugar free caramel syrup (I use the Torani one that I keep on hand to add to my coffee)
    1 cup liquid (vanilla almond or soy milk)
    ice cubes
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Quest and optimum nutrition protein powders always get great taste reviews.
    If you want one to help you stay fuller, go for one that also has casein.
  • shortnurse1
    shortnurse1 Posts: 22 Member
    What is your reason for wanting to use a liquid meal substitute instead of just eating normal food?

Because all the normal food I want to eat for breakfast has way too many calories in it. Also, I have to be to work pretty early in the AM and just want something I can grab and drink in the car. :smile:
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Every morning I put a cup of frozen strawberries in the blender cup, add milk, two scoops of Fage zero Greek yogurt, 4 packets of Stevia and blend - 190 calories. I also just made an after running low cal shake with unsweetened cashew milk, 1 T cocoa powder, 2 T Bob Red Mills Whey Powder, vanilla extract, 4 packets Stevia, and ice. 90 calories. I am not a morning eater so I totally get wanting a shake for breakfast.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    I keep it simple ISOPURE Zero Carb Vanilla Protein, tspn of Peanut butter, Soy almond milk, ice its yummy
  • shortnurse1
    shortnurse1 Posts: 22 Member
    Thank you everyone! Can't wait to try some of these! Pretty funny...today they were having a wellness event at my job. I was talking to the nutritionist, and she suggested Core Power Shakes. And they sell them in the cafeteria where I work!! I tried the chocolate, it tastes pretty close to chocolate milk! I like it!
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    I usually buy biox chocolate peanut butter swirl. Decent protein powder at a good price. I don't buy ready made shakes or protein drinks at all. They usually have too much sodium in them.