An amazing recipe full of protein!

Options
I found this recipe online and love it. It makes a lot so I have enough for lunch for about 4 days. Because of the quinoa, 1 bowl of it fills me up for about 4 hours. Try it!

Greek Chicken Quinoa Salad

- 1 cup dry quinoa (you cook it like rice, 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water (with salt), boil for about 15 mins)
- 2-3 cups broc florets (I just cut it up fairly small)
- 1 cup shredded chicken (I used left over rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers (sliced)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Simple lemon dressing (1/2 cup olive oil, 4 tbsp lemon juice, Salt and Pepper)

1) Cook quinoa and let cool for 30 mins (While it was cooling I cut up the vegs)
2) Add broc, chicken, carrots, peppers, parm and feta to quinoa. Stir to combine
3) Make dressing
4) Pour over quinoa mixture. Stir and add S & P to taste
5) Serve at room temp or chilled (I prefer room temp)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Looks interesting.

How do you think it would be without the feta?
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    This looks yum. I’d recommend you use a food scale instead of cups for all those measurements though (what’s 1/2 cup of feta??).
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    This looks yum. I’d recommend you use a food scale instead of cups for all those measurements though (what’s 1/2 cup of feta??).
    56g
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Would you happen to have the macros breakdown for this recipe? It looks yummy (although I'd probably leave the feta out). Thanks for sharing!
  • julez40
    julez40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im going to make this tonight. Thanks!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    That does sound good, but also looks pretty high calorie. Can you post the nutritional info?
  • Emilia777
    Options
    56g

Crumbled? Or in tiny little cubes? Do you press them down into the cup? I don’t think you can translate cups of cheese to grams consistently.
  • noclady1995
    Options
    I entered the ingredients in MFP and for 4 servings. Here's what it gave me per serving.
    fmcheje74q0m.jpg
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    I have an amazing recipe full of protein.

16 ounce new york steak.
    Cook over fire.
    Eat.

Haha! thats enought protein for the whole day...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    56g

Crumbled? Or in tiny little cubes? Do you press them down into the cup? I don’t think you can translate cups of cheese to grams consistently.

56g is 56g no matter what form the cheese is in. 1/2 cup is vague and inconsistent, but 56g is as accurate as it gets.
  • noclady1995
    Options
    For those interested in nutritional info with with weight of the feta vs. the measured cup version. The difference is::
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 4.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 570
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 35 g 54 %
    Saturated Fat 7 g 35 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 21 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 46 mg 15 %
    Sodium 308 mg 13 %
    Potassium 387 mg 11 %
    Total Carbohydrate 40 g 13 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 21 %
    Sugars 6 g
    Protein 22 g 45 %
    Vitamin A 78 %
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Only 23g's of protein??? Thanks for the recipe, but as my MISC brethren would say:

No thanks, Jeff
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    this @JarethG
  • Emilia777
    Options
    56g

56g is 56g no matter what form the cheese is in. 1/2 cup is vague and inconsistent, but 56g is as accurate as it gets.

That’s exactly my point: cups are not accurate, and 1/2c does not necessarily translate into 56g of cheese - it could be more or less, depending on how you filled the cup.

Anyway. The calorie/protein ratio would probably be better with less olive oil.
  • Emilia777
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • Emilia777
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • Emilia777
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Just under 16% of calories from protein in that recipe. I'd cut back on the cheeses and oil and add more chicken.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy. I might have to try it sometime when I have a lot of calories. Although I kind of wish it had more protein for the calories.

I made a chili a few days ago that had 30 g of protein and just under 300 calories. I also made a sesame chicken dish tonight and before adding rice it's 175 calories with 28 g protein (335 calories with 1 serving/45 g rice)
  • noclady1995
    Options
    When I omitted the feta (hate it) as well as the oil (since it's just a dressing...lemon alone would be fine with me) and I added more chicken (I agree protein was too low) I came out with cal=357 and protein at 30 g. I like that.