Pain in knees

Options
Any tips or ideas how I can alleviate pain in my knees? It hurts at times when I go up the stairs, that sort of thing and does not happen all the time. I jog/strength train 4X a week. Am I doing too much or?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    did you just start working out? it takes time to toughen up your joints. If not, maybe see a knee dr. Ice will help in the temporary .
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    A lot of knee pain comes from either form or footwear. Make sure your form while lifting is good, and your shoes are in good condition for all that running.
  • gainthatmuscle
    gainthatmuscle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with nossmf. it is your form or footwear. taking a joint supplement might help. make sure you are eating enough of the right foods like vegetables and fruits and drinking enough water.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Where does it hurt? Behind the kneecap? Above the kneecap and sort of towards the outside of your thigh? Try Googling "runner's knee." Does that match the pain?

"Overuse" knee problems are usually more to do with hip inflexibility and hip/glute weakness. But it's hard to say that's what you have with just "my knee hurts."
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    When I first started "getting in shape" I did a lot of walking, treadmill, elliptical.. and finally running. First my knees killed me then my hip, then knees, with hip (Add in an elbow and shoulder too).. but after about 6 months, everything got stronger and I have had no issues (pain) since. I suspect it was just my bodies reaction to: WTF are you doing to me??!!!, It all = getting stronger, conditioning the muscles and ligaments.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    BramageOMG wrote: »
    When I first started "getting in shape" I did a lot of walking, treadmill, elliptical.. and finally running. First my knees killed me then my hip, then knees, with hip (Add in an elbow and shoulder too).. but after about 6 months, everything got stronger and I have had no issues (pain) since. I suspect it was just my bodies reaction to: WTF are you doing to me??!!!, It all = getting stronger, conditioning the muscles and ligaments.

yup, I have thus far found this to be true
  • jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    did you just start working out? it takes time to toughen up your joints. If not, maybe see a knee dr. Ice will help in the temporary .
    I've been working out for almost a year. But thanks I think I may set up an appointment :)
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    A lot of knee pain comes from either form or footwear. Make sure your form while lifting is good, and your shoes are in good condition for all that running.

Okay thanks a bunch. I will pay more attention to my form! And also on the foot wear, how long should I keep a pair before I purchase a new pair? I've been having mines for about year and a half; I mean they still look good to me :#

• jendiaz9732
    Options
    Where does it hurt? Behind the kneecap? Above the kneecap and sort of towards the outside of your thigh? Try Googling "runner's knee." Does that match the pain?

"Overuse" knee problems are usually more to do with hip inflexibility and hip/glute weakness. But it's hard to say that's what you have with just "my knee hurts."

It hurts above the knee cap. Only in that area though. Thank you :)

• jendiaz9732
    Options
    BramageOMG wrote: »

Thank you. :)

• jendiaz9732
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    Any tips or ideas how I can alleviate pain in my knees? It hurts at times when I go up the stairs, that sort of thing and does not happen all the time. I jog/strength train 4X a week. Am I doing too much or?

rest em up a couple weeks and see what happens.

pain going up and down stairs can be a few things, often though, your patella might not be tracking right.

Rest them, like not work out?
  • indie357
    indie357 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started walking long distances last month and noticed horrible pain in my knees and then hips. I went and had my stride and feet looked at by a great running store here in my local town. I ended up buying the shoes they recommended and it has made a world of distance. If I had done that in the beginning I would be walking double what I am now. The pain instantly stopped with the new shoes. They are much more expensive but so worth it. He told me to replace them every 6 months. I also started out with running shoes which were the furthest thing I needed since I was walking long distances not running. I need more support and padding rather than lightness and flexibility.
  • karenkte
    karenkte Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi...i just had this problem i thought was due to too much hot yoga
    I had mri scan and its arthritis
    Just take care when doing high impact exercise
    I have changed to aqua aerobics and my knee pain has eased soooo much
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    indie357 wrote: »
    I just started walking long distances last month and noticed horrible pain in my knees and then hips. I went and had my stride and feet looked at by a great running store here in my local town. I ended up buying the shoes they recommended and it has made a world of distance. If I had done that in the beginning I would be walking double what I am now. The pain instantly stopped with the new shoes. They are much more expensive but so worth it. He told me to replace them every 6 months. I also started out with running shoes which were the furthest thing I needed since I was walking long distances not running. I need more support and padding rather than lightness and flexibility.

Thanks so much for that! Wow every six months! I've been doing it all wrong! I will definitely invest in some appropriate running shoes! I will keep you guys posted. I hate it because sometimes I won't jog due to it.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

It hurts above the knee cap. Only in that area though. Thank you :)

Above the kneecap might be illiotibial band syndrome (ITBS). That's a hip-related thing. Maybe Google some stretches for your IT band. (Do you have a foam roller?) But the advice to replace your shoes every 6 months/400-500 miles is a good general guideline for most people, too!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Sounds like patellar tendinitis and the most common reason is excessive use. So if you're exercising more than an hour a day, try cutting back a bit first to see if that helps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jendiaz9732
    Options

rest em up a couple weeks and see what happens.

pain going up and down stairs can be a few things, often though, your patella might not be tracking right.

Rest them, like not work out?

like for serious.

patellar tendinitis is a risk.

Seeing a doctor is always a great move. Since they can like, totally check you out.

Lol. K I'm going to see my doc. Thanks!
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    Tha
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sounds like patellar tendinitis and the most common reason is excessive use. So if you're exercising more than an hour a day, try cutting back a bit first to see if that helps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you I will cut back on my jogging :)
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post about knee pain, so this thread is perfect timing. I hope it's ok that I post a question of my own?

My knee pain feels like I have a stone tucked under my right knee cap, at the bottom. It is mostly noticeable with stairs, and just started today. I just got an elliptical last night, and have used it for a total of 10-15 minutes (my 3 and 5 year olds keep trying to climb on, so I haven't had a full session on it yet). May or may not be elliptical related, I'm not sure. I don't "work out" in a gym, but I'm active enough, with the last few weeks spent hauling sand and topsoil around my property. I'd book an appointment, but my doctor is booking in August now. Any suggestions for things I could google?
  • jendiaz9732
    Options
    Of course you can! Hope you get to feeling better :)