Trigger foods!!

Options
This is my first time posting anything, but I am excited to hear any input at all! I feel like in order for me to lose weight, I will NEVER be able to eat the foods I love. (Cake, Ice cream, Chocolate, etc..) When I first started MFP, I lost 30 pounds and have gained almost all of it back! I made the right choices, exercised and logged in of course, but something happened when I decided to have a treat! It was like I was ravenous for sweets! It was like I had never had them before! I couldn't stop! I feel like I can't stop! I am so discouraged to think that I will never be able to have my sweets because they trigger me into a downward spiral! So what are your thoughts on foods having a "trigger" effect? This is so mental I can't stand it!!! My blood sugar is boarder line, as well as my blood pressure! HELP!! Debbie:sad:

Replies

• katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Pasta is my trigger food. If I order pasta out at a resuarant (you know their portions are huge...like 5 servings) I eat IT ALL. Plus bread. Somehow i can eat and eat and eat and eat pasta....
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why you shouldn't restrict yourself from everything you used to eat. If you are going to make a change that is going to stick then it cannot be so drastic. Allow yourself the things you used to eat. Work them into your daily caloric allowance. Logs things BEFORE you eat them and then only eat that much.
  • starcharchch
    Options
    Bread. Any kind of bread. I just have one bite and that's it. I ahve to go for more. Then the butter and jam comes out. Then the cake mixing bowl. It just spirals. Honestly, the best thing to do is allow in moderation but then STAY AWAY from the foods.
  • Q9S7
    Q9S7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I second Schweedogs comments. You have to schedule 'cheat meals'. This not only curbs your craving, but motivates you to work harder at losing weight. Post workout is in my opinion is the best time for a cheat meal.
  • debdonc105
    debdonc105 Posts: 4
    Options
    Great tip! I think that is a brilliant idea to log in what I am going to eat first and have it in my plan so I don't feel so restricted! Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • wilsolr
    wilsolr Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello...

I wanted to respond because I have gone through this several times, but I must admit, this time I have done something a little different...When I first started MFP, I logged for a complete 7 days, no cheating, no bad food. After that, I allowed myself to cheat or should I say, "have a high calorie day" one day a week. For me, I allow Thursday to be my day. I literally eat whatever I wish (I try not to go to crazy) and I do not log for the day. I also increase my workout routine for that day. If I normally workout for 45 minutes, that particular day I will workout for and hour and a half. I find myself pushing myself even harder thorughout the week, so that way I can hurry up and get to Thursday. It is hard work with a little treat at the end for you.

I can't say it will help everyone, but it sure did give me a little break without hurting the scale...Hope this helps. Good Luck :)
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I found I was the same way if I gave them up altogether. I've now decided that I have to have them in moderation, and the only way for me to do that is to account for them. I actually figure out my daily food intake for the day around lunch, and I take into account wanting some ice cream or chips or whatever. If I do this, I already know what I'm going to have (which makes supper planning easier, too :wink:), and I don't overindulge in any of it. I have a fun-size candy bar, my handful of baked lays, my 1/2 cup of ice cream, spaghetti - whatever it is that I'm craving that day - and I don't overdo it because I know the calories are already accounted for.

Maybe this would help you?
  • skizzizme
    skizzizme Posts: 14
    Options
    I used to have terrible "cravings" for sweets and potatoes, but after talking to my doctor and doing some research, I learned that most cravings are the bodies way of saying that it is not getting the right amount of vitamins and minerals that it needs. My doctor recommeded a vitamin and mineral TWICE a day tablet (not ONCE a day, as the body cannot accept all the vitamins and minerals at one time and over half are rejected from 1 a day tablets). I no longer have any cravings.
    7034275.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • debdonc105
    debdonc105 Posts: 4
    Options
    Awesome Skizzime! Can you tell me what you take? Is it a multivitamin? Are we allowed to use name brands over this thing? I was talking to a pharmacist and he said that here in America, we do not lack vitamins in our foods, that vitamins are a scam. I'm so confused!