Walking... Heart Rate at Fat Burn or Higher?

Options
I walk for about an hour a day 3 times a week as well as limit myself to 1500 calories. When I walk, should I stay in fat burning mode as far as my heart rate is concerned or do I need to go into another zone?

Replies

• RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I work out similar to you, except I eat a little less calories...but personally, I don't look at what zone i am in, I just work out my hardest and do my best. I like the results i'm getting (down 8 lbs in a month)...good luck
  • Cheryllynnhagen
    Cheryllynnhagen Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For the past month, thanks to a Fitbit, I have been walking almost everyday for 30-40 min. My scale doesn't show a difference (yet) but I feel thinner, leaner and a lot stronger. I do yoga 3 x's a week too. I am going to start paying attention to the heart rate part soon. That's why I read your post. I;m still getting used to the whole walking regularly routine.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favour and forget you ever heard the term "fat burning zone". It's true that at lower levels of intensity that your body burns proportionally more calories from fat than at higher levels butyou burn far fewer calories overall and it's completely meaningless in the context of weight loss - it's all about energy balance not fuel source.

On the other hand endurance athletes train their bodies to burn more fat as this unlocks a much bigger fuel source than relying on glycogen stores.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favour and forget you ever heard the term "fat burning zone". It's true that at lower levels of intensity that your body burns proportionally more calories from fat than at higher levels butyou burn far fewer calories overall and it's completely meaningless in the context of weight loss - it's all about energy balance not fuel source.

On the other hand endurance athletes train their bodies to burn more fat as this unlocks a much bigger fuel source than relying on glycogen stores.

This is exactly right, read this, nothing else needs to be said, this is clear and concise and right on point.