What am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    ok I'll do that. And yes it has the HRM, but it's a strap I have to put on. And I'm not sure if I burned that much, but we're moving so lots of walking and moving things for 3-4 hours at a time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I get a little over 1000 calories burned for around 25,000 steps, or 10ish + miles
  • sexymom04
    Options
    oh wow
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yeah sexymom04, it's just a combination of: not weighing all your food (AKA probably underestimating food intake) and OVERESTIMATING by a fair bit on calories burned. Address both of those issues and you should be on your way!
  • sexymom04
    Options
    I know what to do for food but how do I fix it for exercising?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For now, just worry about getting your food logging as accurate as possible, which means weighing,measuring and logging everything honestly and precisely.
    Once you've got a handle on that, then start worrying about your exercise calories.
  • deceived1
    Options
    For now, just worry about getting your food logging as accurate as possible, which means weighing,measuring and logging everything honestly and precisely.
    Once you've got a handle on that, then start worrying about your exercise calories.

I agree with this under most circumstances, but OP is, on some days, putting 1700 exercise calories (more than double what her MFP calorie goal is). So if she's doing 1300 calories and entering 1700 exercise calories when it's in fact, say, 500, it won't matter if she weighs or not.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Walmart (not my favorite retailer) sells a product by Body Fortress called Super Advantage whey isolate in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry.
    you can get body fortress on amazon for the same price or cheaper! i was turned on to it by a coworker and i refuse to set foot in walmart so i did some digging and i order it online now :)
  • sexymom04
    Options
    deceived1 wrote: »

I agree with this under most circumstances, but OP is, on some days, putting 1700 exercise calories (more than double what her MFP calorie goal is). So if she's doing 1300 calories and entering 1700 exercise calories when it's in fact, say, 500, it won't matter if she weighs or not.

Why wouldn't it matter? And I'm just entering the amount of time I did a certain exercise. MFP is setting the calories I burned. How do I know it's wrong? Would I only put in half of what I do?
  • jenny_anne08
    jenny_anne08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is your exercise getting counted twice? If you are manually entering it AND wearing a Garmin that is linked to MFP, it might be getting double-counted. Just something to check...
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm just confused why we're so focused on the fact that exercise calories are wrong and that being the problem. I looked back for a few days and I don't that OP is in the habit of eating back all of her exercise calories or anything. If you actually burned 500 calories although your journal says you burned 1300, but you only eat back 200-300...that should not be an issue on why you aren't losing weight. I may not have looked deep enough though. I would say the most important issue here is weighing foods to determine accurate intake. Another thing that might help is if you're stressed deal with that however you need to...stress can really impact your ability to lose weight.

Another possibility here could be a food intolerance. It's pretty rare so unlikely but my aunt was gluten intolerant (yeah I know I'm going to get razzed for this with people saying this isn't even a thing) but when she gave up gluten she lost weight and gained energy without changing anything else. This wont happen for 99.9% of people but it's a possibility.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    sexymom04 wrote: »

Why wouldn't it matter? And I'm just entering the amount of time I did a certain exercise. MFP is setting the calories I burned. How do I know it's wrong? Would I only put in half of what I do?

MFP is notorious for over-inflating certain calorie burns. Try entering in only half of what it tells you and see if that helps.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    Were moving and moving boxes for 3-4 hours a day and that's what MFP is giving me. So I'll just enter half of that. And now I'm weighing everything that I eat.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Were moving and moving boxes for 3-4 hours a day and that's what MFP is giving me. So I'll just enter half of that. And now I'm weighing everything that I eat.

I find a lot of the "exercises" in the database that are really "activities" (like cleaning or moving boxes) are particularly inflated.

You could just up your activity level during the moving days, or add something like 100 an hour.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    One idea is to just eat the set amount of calories before entering the exercise of the day, that way you're goal is still under the amount of calories burned whether that number is accurate or inaccurate becomes irrelevant at that point, right? Just a thought.
  • catgurl_reeree
    catgurl_reeree Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It could be that your hormones aren't working properly. Do you eat soy or soy products? Soy messes up with hormones and can wreak havoc with weight loss. What's worked for me is going low carb high fat, keeps me full and satieted with no cravings, and lose weight fairly quickly. I'd suggest getting a check up with the doctors, and maybe go for more breathing focused exercises like tai chi or yoga as they don't stress the body as much as hard workouts. You could also be building muscle, therefore not finding much change on your scales. Do you measure yourself with a tape measurer? Scales tend to show muscle weight and water weight too
  • deceived1
    Options

I'll give an example.

Your daily calorie goals are set at 1,300 calories. You log and weigh everything 100% accurately. However, for your burned calories from exercise, you enter 1,700 - when in fact, it was way lower (let's use 500 as the number here).

Let's say you eat back all of these "exercise calories" (3,000 total calories in this example). You weigh and log everything accurately and consume all your exercise calories burned. However, you actually only burned 500 calories - so you should have only eaten 1,800 calories to reach your daily goal.

Instead, you ate 3,000 - 1,200 more than what you actually needed. That 1,200 would put you OVER maintenance (so you'd be gaining weight instead of losing weight).

When I said "weighing wouldn't matter" I just meant in this extreme scenario. Where your calories burned is so far off that it doesn't matter whether or not you were accurate on the scales.

It's still very important to weigh but you need to make sure you're not grossly overestimating calories burned because that could hinder process just as much as not weighing can.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Weigh your foods. Chances are much more likely than you're overeating rather than underexercising.
  • deceived1
    edited June 2015
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Weigh your foods. Chances are much more likely than you're overeating rather than underexercising.

On 6/23 on her diary she put: *You've earned 1,741 extra calories from exercise today. I highly, highly doubt that's accurate. She's definitely double dipping from standard daily energy expenditure and combining that with actual exercise calories (I'm pretty sure).

EDIT: I will say that she didn't EAT all of those back. But still, I think it's worth pointing out.