sabotage!

Options
Do you guys notice that people in your life (husbands, bf, whoever) seem to sabotage your efforts? My husband just went and bought new york steaks, crab legs, and champagne for tonight's dinner. I calculated it, and it is a 1500 calorie dinner, even if I only eat half of the steak. What do I do? His response is- celebrate New Year's, then get back on track. But I don't want to start making excuses so early in my campaign- I've only been at it since Saturday. Help! He will get his feelings hurt if I refuse to eat the luxury dinner he is preparing. Can I save calories all day and work out a bunch and have this not impact me so much?

HELP

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Do you guys notice that people in your life (husbands, bf, whoever) seem to sabotage your efforts? My husband just went and bought new york steaks, crab legs, and champagne for tonight's dinner. I calculated it, and it is a 1500 calorie dinner, even if I only eat half of the steak. What do I do? His response is- celebrate New Year's, then get back on track. But I don't want to start making excuses so early in my campaign- I've only been at it since Saturday. Help! He will get his feelings hurt if I refuse to eat the luxury dinner he is preparing. Can I save calories all day and work out a bunch and have this not impact me so much?

HELP
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    i'm having the same issues. my husband brings me cookies all the time. plus trying to cook for a housefull of people isn't easy with my healthy goals. my husband and oldest daughter are strictly meat and potatoes!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I completely understand. Christmas day DH was shoving all my stocking stuffer candy in my face with the excuse that 'Its Christmas!!!' He loves food, and never denies himself (and still doesn't gain weight?!) so he doesn't understand my need to simply abstain from certain foods. :grumble:

You can have all those things you listed - you just can't have very much! Fix your plate in the kitchen, go sit down and DO NOT get up and go get more. :bigsmile: Last night I had a hamburger and french fries, and even a little ice cream like the DH wanted and I came in about 150 under my cals for the day. Practice portion control and you can have WHATEVER you want. Thats the great thing about this 'diet'. :love:
  • kammiller
    Options
    I totally agree my husband weighs less than me and I hate it he cant keep weight on and I need to take it off. My whole family except for my oldest son can eat whatever the want and not gain a pound if I look at it I gain 2
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I know its difficult when people around us can eat and eat and not have troubles with weight. But you can eat tonight and be ok. Get in some exercise today, and watch what you eat all day, then when you sit down to eat, watch your portions, and you will be fine. If you deprieve yourself of the "luxuries" you will end up resentful, You can do this, just focus on your goals. Enjoy your dinner tonite!! Happy New Years!
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Yes, you can definitely have it. Go exercise and get some extra calories in your bank account. You have already figured up what the meal will cost, so eat a light lunch so you won't be starving and then figure up how much exercise you need to do to put in the bank and then enjoy yourself tonight, knowing that you won't bounce your weight account. :bigsmile:
  • momto3hmn
    Options
    Have a few bites of steak and crap, a sip of champagne to celebrate... or make a nice salad and shred a little steak and crab ontop. If you're not comfortable taking a night off then don't do it! If you take an alternative route think of how great you will feel for the accomplishment!!!

I don't have a lot of support so jumping these hurddles is great!!

Have a safe and happy New Year :flowerforyou:
  • penny38_1999
    penny38_1999 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I guess im one of the lucky one here. My husband has been my inspriation in helping me and got me to go walking with him. What i would do is exercise that day and gain a few more calories you are allowed to have when you do that. Walking 30 mins even at 2 mph will give you 151 extra calories!! i love that, yesterday i walked my 30 mins, then went home from work that night and walked another 30 mins, gaining me an extra 302 total calories i could have for something special. HOpe this helps you out some
    ps, im brand new here this week, so hope my advice works for me, time will tell this monday at weigh in time

116544.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • penny38_1999
    penny38_1999 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I guess im one of the lucky one here. My husband has been my inspriation in helping me and got me to go walking with him. What i would do is exercise that day and gain a few more calories you are allowed to have when you do that. Walking 30 mins even at 2 mph will give you 151 extra calories!! i love that, yesterday i walked my 30 mins, then went home from work that night and walked another 30 mins, gaining me an extra 302 total calories i could have for something special. HOpe this helps you out some
    ps, im brand new here this week, so hope my advice works for me, time will tell this monday at weigh in time

116544.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Celebrate...and have the luxuries :drinker: , just don't over indulge. Don't deprive yourself of the simple luxuries in life, you deserve it. Just make sure that you fill your plate with a big salad or something healthy and low calories first, then leave a little room for the steak and crab, and have a sip of champagne. And it will help if you go for a walk this afternoon or hit the gym to burn some calories, then there will be less guilty feelings.

I will be having my Lean Cuisine tonight with my green tea in the company of my dogs...and I will be thinking of all of you who are lucky enough to have love ones who want to celebrate the coming year with you.

Have a Happy New Year and enjoy. :flowerforyou:
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How is that 1500 calories. If you have a whole bottle of champagne (495 calories). Crab legs (just hold off on the butter they are better that way anyway (130 calories a leg), NY Strip Steak (have a small portion) is 300 calories for 6 ounces. Add some steamed or roasted veggies (roughly another 50 calories) and you are only at 1000. Burn 500 at the gym and that is a 500 calorie dinner.

If you don't like it then try to be more involved in the planning process. Example I am bringing shrimp cocktail to a party tonight- everyone loves it and has no idea i am bringing it so i don't load up on bread and cheese. Shrimp are so lo-cal!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    well, 2 (large)crab legs: 388 calories, 8 oz ny steak: 340, 1/2 stick butter:405, 2 glasses champagne: 400. Presto! 1533 calories.

It's good advice about the butter, but not advice I am able to follow.

I am going to the gym, to help soften the blow...
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Celebrate...and have the luxuries :drinker: , just don't over indulge. Don't deprive yourself of the simple luxuries in life, you deserve it. Just make sure that you fill your plate with a big salad or something healthy and low calories first, then leave a little room for the steak and crab, and have a sip of champagne. And it will help if you go for a walk this afternoon or hit the gym to burn some calories, then there will be less guilty feelings.

I will be having my Lean Cuisine tonight with my green tea in the company of my dogs...and I will be thinking of all of you who are lucky enough to have love ones who want to celebrate the coming year with you.

Have a Happy New Year and enjoy. :flowerforyou:
    Well Cheers to You:drinker: :flowerforyou: I have plans to get to bed early:yawn: so I can do my regular Thursday gym routine at 5a.m :wink: :laugh: :drinker: :bigsmile: