A year and no change.

Options
kb7ptg.jpg

Hello guys! I just feel a bit depressed. It has been about a year since I have tried to lose weight and change my habits. A few months ago I was 59KG ( 130lbs) but now somehow I am back to my original weight of 63kg(138lbs). The weight literally crept on me, and I have no idea how. The photo I'm linking here is from just yesterday at my nephews graduation. I'm 5'1 and seem to gain weight very easily. I walk literally everywhere, joined a gym in January, not I'm not going as regularly as I was before but there is no way I have been eating more calories. Now I do not count them because I would go insane doing so, but I have limited my chocolate crisps and greasy food so much. I used to eat it so much and be the 63kg, now I eat better and make better food choices, eat less than I did a year ago, yet I am still the same weight. I wouldn't mind being this weight, as long as the inches were coming off. And for a while they seemed to be less there, but somehow I have increased in size, so it is not just water weight I have. I really feel lost, I am afraid to eat in case I gain, but apparently if you don't eat enough you will gain anyway. I want to get myself on track with weight loss but I am lost. All around me online I see all these people dropping the weight like dead flies and I have made no change at all since this time last year. Any hard loving for me please?

Replies

• daniellepstewart209
    daniellepstewart209 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is a similar story to mine until this last year. It took me 2years just over to shed 2.5/3 stone, regain it a few times and then plateau. That sounds ok but considering at my biggest I was 21stone at 5 ft 7!!!! You get the idea. Anyway, I jacked in the gym, made better food choices and the biggest factor... I weigh everything! Even that dribble of oil, splash of sauce etc! Down to the last gram. I have a scale in my bag for stuff I can weigh while out. And i let myself indulge once or twice a month. However my choices are far better even when splurging. I make almost all my food from scratch now too. You would be surprised at all the 'hidden' calories, now at a year of being more mindful of the stuff I eat I'm almost another 2stone lighter and three pound off my total loss of 5 stone. The last month of being completely obsessed with my calories I have lost 13 pound! And feel better than ever. Count count count, it is essential! Once you do it honestly for a few weeks you will start loosing. But be brutally honest . Good luck x
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Just saw this in another thread from @Orphia

13ufa52commp.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you don't count your calories... you're eating more than you think.

you're gaining weight because you're eating in a calorie surplus.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Sauleeh wrote: »
    there is no way I have been eating more calories. Now I do not count them because I would go insane doing so, but I have limited my chocolate crisps and greasy food so much.

Why would it be insane to count your calories? If you don't you could easily be eating more than you think.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hard loving? Nothing is going to change unless you change. What would you rather.... A) get out a kitchen scale, weigh, measure and log everything that goes in your mouth (including chocolate, chips and greasy food if you desire) and eat to meet your calorie goal to get to your goal weight/physique.... Or B.) continue what you're doing, continue to feel how you feel etcetera and come back in another year another 4kgs heavier? You choose.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Time for @Sauleeh to do some reading. At the top of each of the Main Forums there is a Post named MOST HELPFUL POSTS.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/food-and-nutrition
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/fitness-and-exercise
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/general-diet-and-weight-loss-help

Some of my Favorite / Most helpful for me;

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Like learning a new Computer program at work there is a learning curve in using MFP.
    My recommendation is to spend the first 2 weeks logging your Every Bite - Be Brutally Honest.
    Then look at that data to see where the Low Nutritional Value Calories are sneaking in and work on reducing there impact on your diet.
    If your not willing to spend the 5 minutes a day to accurately log then you are not ready or willing to make the Changes in your Habits that you need for success.

This Link will take you to a good Blog about the Hidden Power of our Habbits.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-power-of-habit-part-1-why-habits-matter-688130

Buy a Kitchen Scale and weigh everything, You will be surprised by how small some portion sizes actually are. Re-calibrate your mind as to what a portion actually is.
    http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kb7ptg.jpg

Hello guys! I just feel a bit depressed. It has been about a year since I have tried to lose weight and change my habits. A few months ago I was 59KG ( 130lbs) but now somehow I am back to my original weight of 63kg(138lbs). The weight literally crept on me, and I have no idea how. The photo I'm linking here is from just yesterday at my nephews graduation. I'm 5'1 and seem to gain weight very easily. I walk literally everywhere, joined a gym in January, not I'm not going as regularly as I was before but there is no way I have been eating more calories. Now I do not count them because I would go insane doing so, but I have limited my chocolate crisps and greasy food so much. I used to eat it so much and be the 63kg, now I eat better and make better food choices, eat less than I did a year ago, yet I am still the same weight. I wouldn't mind being this weight, as long as the inches were coming off. And for a while they seemed to be less there, but somehow I have increased in size, so it is not just water weight I have. I really feel lost, I am afraid to eat in case I gain, but apparently if you don't eat enough you will gain anyway. I want to get myself on track with weight loss but I am lost. All around me online I see all these people dropping the weight like dead flies and I have made no change at all since this time last year. Any hard loving for me please?

You don't have to eat more calories overall in order to gain weight. You just have to eat more than you burn. If you are not going to the gym as much as you were previously, you have erased your caloric deficit/equilibrium through reduced activity.

Eat less or move more or do a combo of those two.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    kb7ptg.jpg

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You say you don't count calories but there is no way you have been eating more calories? How do you know if you are not counting? Obviously you ARE eating more calories. The truth of this is staring you in the face. You can eat too much even if you are eating "healthy" food. Gaining weight is not fairy magic ("somehow I am back to my original weight..." "The weight literally crept up on me and I have no idea how..." "...somehow I have increased in size..." START COUNTING CALORIES AND WEIGH AND MEASURE EVERYTHING YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH.

Also, it is absolutely not true that "if you don't eat enough you will gain weight anyway." This is a complete myth perpetuated by the media and even so-called knowledgeable weight-loss plans (*cough*WeightWatchers*cough*).

THE ONLY WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT IS TO EAT FEWER CALORIES. The end. Stop whining and making excuses and just do it.

How's that for some hard love?

Seriously, you can do it.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...It is possible to lose weight and not count calorie...people have done so long before we understood how to count calories. However...it STILL requires eating less than what your body burns. Somehow you need to learn portion sizes and portion control regardless of how you eat. It is not as precise as counting...it may take longer...you still have to track those portions...you still have to know approximately how many calories is in a portion.

I do a combination of counting and estimating...so far it is working for me and I am still losing weight. I have to be VERY of the foods that I consume. I have 3 breakfasts that I alternate between and they all fall within the same calorie range that I have set aside for Breakfast. For lunch and dinner I eat a serving of lean protein and 2 or 3 vegetables. I have snacks that I know the calorie ranges of that fit what I have set aside for snacks. If I eat outside of this plan (and do at least 2 or 3 times a week) then I count and log.

All my food selections are based on what will give me my macro/micro counts. Those snacks...they are just because I like them.

Which way is easier...well...that depends. My son has a tendency to be OCD...he tried counting and tracking...within three months he was setting himself up for an eating disorder because of his OCD tendencies. For me...the combination has been working better than just counting and the weighing.

On a side note...when I counted precisely...I lost anywhere from 5 to 8 lbs a month. By my combination method I am losing 4 to 6 lbs a month. So slower but the way that I eat now is becoming habit much easier than when I was being more precise.

Either way...it is work...you still have to be aware of what is going in your mouth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kb7ptg.jpg

if you're less active...i.e. not going to the gym as much...your energy expenditure is going to decrease. If your expenditure decreases but your intake stays the same...hmmmm...wonder what happens...

tumblr_inline_n2nlq8xAda1rt6qr4.gif

beyond that, you're not tracking so you literally have no idea what your consumption is. I don't track either anymore...but I spent about 9 months doing so and learning to eat again...maybe give it a whirl, I bet you'd be surprised at how many calories you're actually consuming.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    whoa
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    you don't count your calories... you're eating more than you think.

you're gaining weight because you're eating in a calorie surplus.

You need to weigh, measure and log your food and track your calories. That is the only way you are going to know why you are or are not losing. Period. Without tracking your food, you have absolutely no idea if you are eating at a deficit or not and eating at a caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight. And no, eating too few calories will NOT make you gain weight! That is a huge false belief that I wish would just go away!
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Blunt truth: if you half-*kitten* a program, you're gonna get half-*kitten* (or less) results. You have to put in the work (i.e. being real about calorie counting) if you want the pay off.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options