Fasting 30 days

Options
I wonder what are the good and bad for fasting in 30 days for weight loss. Any tips for maintaining the weight loss after the 30day period?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Are you proposing to not eat food or consume any nutrition for 30 days?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to need to clarify what you mean by fasting, as the bad for truly fasting (no food intake) for 30 days is that you'd most likely die.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I think you're going to need to clarify what you mean by fasting, as the bad for truly fasting (no food intake) for 30 days is that you'd most likely die.

Yea ... I think most of us probably have the goal of not dying. So very sage advice.

That being said; if your not talking about not eating, then you'll have to be more specific on the limitation of your diet during the "fasting" period like kgeyser said
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Are you proposing to not eat food or consume any nutrition for 30 days?

Yeah, this ^^ would be a terrible idea. You'd lose a lot more than fat. Things like muscle, water, hair, possibly life.

Hopefully you are talking a juice fast or something like that.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting for 30 days perhaps?
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ... why on Earth would you want to do this to yourself?
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    fasting can mess with your brain function. Trying to solve problems on a foggy brain is hard.

There is no scientific weight loss benefit of fasting over eating a calories in calories out plan based on your specific health needs.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No.
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's going to get ugly very quickly here.
  • Lifeonmars2015
    Lifeonmars2015 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    As the guys say fasting covers a wide meaning. I am following daily 16:8 fasting protocol and eat all my allotted calories in an 8 hour window, l have also reduced my carb intake. It all depends what your aims are.

I suggest you research online first there are some good reads out there:
    • 4 hour diet
    • Eat Fat, get fit
    • Dr Sarah Solmon
    • Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle
    • The 2 meal life
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Considering the time of year, I'm thinking that the OP is referring to Ramadan.

Many people actually gain weight because of the heavy after-sunset meal. The first step is to try to stay the same weight or lose during this time.

Eat something sustaining (with some protein and fat) in the before-dawn meal.

Don't go overboard in the after-sunset meal. Eat a bit more right before you go to bed.

Drink what you can when you can to make up for the times that you can't.

Be sure you get enough food and drink overall but don't go overboard when you do eat.

After the month is over, I would certainly spread out the times you drink so that you get fluids all throughout the day. As for eating, eat at the times that work for you. The main thing is to eat fewer calories than your body uses during the day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Considering the time of year, I'm thinking that the OP is referring to Ramadan.

Eat something sustaining (with some protein and fat) in the before-dawn meal.

Don't go overboard in the after-sunset meal. Eat a bit more right before you go to bed.

Drink what you can when you can to make up for the times that you can't.

Be sure you get enough food and drink overall but don't go overboard when you do eat.

Well, that's possible, but it's not like people fast at Ramadan to attempt to lose weight (the OP states "for weight loss"). That is pretty much intermittent fasting, which some people find helps them maintain a deficit. For Ramadan (from what I understand) there is traditionally a very large meal when they break their fast; it my not help with creating a deficit depending on how much people eat during the night hours.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    "Fasting" can mean very different things, so you really do need to clarify. During Lent I sometimes will "fast" with one meal and two small snacks ("collations") once per week. But that's a far cry from a "fast" where you don't eat solid food for 30 days.
  • buket1819
    buket1819 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Check out intermittent fasting or 5:2 fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

30 straight days of fasting is probably not what you meant....it sounds dangerous.
  • jelitame
    jelitame Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sorry for not clarifying earlier. Yes it's referring to the month of Ramadan. It's about 12 hour of not consuming any food and liquid. Meals are usually at sunset and predawn

I mentioned weight loss as I've been wanting to shed all this fats. it's been more difficult after having a child, now my daughter is 4yo. I feel that I'm at my biggest now. I'm determined to lose them this time.

It's been about a week of fasting and I have lost about 1.5kg so far. But fear I might gained them all back after Ramadan with all the feasting cum visiting of relatives. :(
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    jelitame wrote: »
    Sorry for not clarifying earlier. Yes it's referring to the month of Ramadan. It's about 12 hour of not consuming any food and liquid. Meals are usually at sunset and predawn

I mentioned weight loss as I've been wanting to shed all this fats. it's been more difficult after having a child, now my daughter is 4yo. I feel that I'm at my biggest now. I'm determined to lose them this time.

It's been about a week of fasting and I have lost about 1.5kg so far. But fear I might gained them all back after Ramadan with all the feasting cum visiting of relatives. :(

The good thing is you are able to eat in the mornings and evenings. Be sure your suhur and iftar meals are within your targets.

When you get to Eid, if there's some big celebrations, maybe have some days around that where you plan to eat at your maintenance level so you can enjoy time with the family without too much worry.

Good luck
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jelitame wrote: »

Thank goodness; I was thinking you were going to do one of those 30 day water fasts or something!
    The bad thing about fasting for weight loss is that it doesn't teach you sustainable changes. If your calories remain low during the fast period, you risk losing lean muscle, which is what you want to retain during weight loss. Fasting for Ramadan is a whole different thing, since you do have meal periods before it begins and after the fast ends each day. What you will want to focus on is making sure you are hitting calorie goals once you break the fast, and keeping your protein up. When Ramadan ends, be sure to practice the moderation you did for the full month; enjoy your family, enjoy food within reason, and be ready to start some long term changes!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I always gain a couple lbs during Ramadan and most likely lose a bit of muscle. I just have to remind myself that the point of Ramadan is not to gorg myself at Iftar. I understand though my husband's family prepares some really lovely large meals for Iftar, but that much food is not necessary or encouraged (1/3 food 1/3 water 1/3 air). We live far from family so it's just my cooking and I try to make it as healthy as possible and try not to make too much, which when I'm fasting is hard not to do. If I happen to be at someone else's house for Iftar I eat slowly and space my food out.
    Nestle has a really good Ramadan page I don't have the link but just search "Nestlé Ramadan" and you'll find it