80 pounds down since September

Options
A very long story made short: last September, at the urging of my family, I sought an evaluation from a cardiologist mainly due to my weight and my family history of heart disease.

The news then was rather sobering, but nothing I didn't know already. I was extremely overweight and in grave danger of suffering the fate of my grandfather and uncle, who both passed on due to myocardial infarctions. My own father who is still with us, had suffered 4 heart attacks and a bypass surgery. I don't know why it was different hearing any of this from a cardiologist as opposed to my own physicians or the reflection in the mirror, but I took the advice seriously and embarked on a journey to lose 100 pounds.

When I visited the doctor, I weighed in at 295 pounds, which I think was actually a good day, because I know I probably weighed at least 10 pounds more in the weeks prior to this appointment. Still, seeing that number staring me in the face in the cold clinical setting of a doctor's office was jarring.

When I started, the first move I made was to swear off and at times swear at, fast food, soda and fried foods. I had to break what I can only recognize now was an addiction to that garbage and weight started to fall off, albeit slowly. I gradually began working out, but still, every day was a struggle in terms of knowing where I was at in relation to my overall goals.

Just before October, someone in passing clued me into myfitnesspal. By then, my weight had dropped to 287 pounds.

Through using the app and studying up on nutrition, exercise and finally settling on a well developed exercise and fitness regimen, I have lost a total of 80.4 pounds to date and am rapidly closing in on my goal weight of 195 pounds.

A lot has changed for me and its all for the better. I am a far more positive person at home, able to keep up with the demands of a very active toddler and at work, I am more focused and determined than ever before. Where I used to just want to come home and pass out on the couch, I look forward to working out in my basement gym and to eventually getting back into playing ice hockey and possibly competing in strongman/powerlifting competitions.

I post this not to brag, not to pat myself on the back or anything like that - I just want anyone out there to know that it is possible, it does get easier and with dedication, some hard work and willingness to research and learn, you can achieve your goals.

Replies

• TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!!! Job well done! Best wishes on your continued journey. I can relate to what you said about being a more positive person. Feeling better about yourself does wonders in all aspects of your life.
  • GonzoMan530
    GonzoMan530 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

TracyV125 wrote: »
    Congrats to you!!! Job well done! Best wishes on your continued journey. I can relate to what you said about being a more positive person. Feeling better about yourself does wonders in all aspects of your life.

• quinnyplh
    quinnyplh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That's amazing mate, I love this kind of thing keep going and reach that goal pal
  • pznatti
    pznatti Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That is amazing... I love that you've gotten some awesome bennys out of your weight loss... Congrats!
  • WWnot
    WWnot Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    "I post this not to brag, not to pat myself on the back or anything like that - I just want anyone out there to know that it is possible, it does get easier and with dedication, some hard work and willingness to research and learn, you can achieve your goals."
    Mission accomplished; thanks for the needed reminder! And congrats on your success...and a long and healthy future. :smiley:
  • techguymike7801
    techguymike7801 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good job man! I started my journey back in September too. Down 122 pounds. Started at 360 and am now at 238 as of this morning.

I would love to try and get below 200 but I'm not sure if that's a realistic goal for me.

Good luck!
  • GonzoMan530
    GonzoMan530 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good job man! I started my journey back in September too. Down 122 pounds. Started at 360 and am now at 238 as of this morning.

I would love to try and get below 200 but I'm not sure if that's a realistic goal for me.

Good luck!

I honestly didn't think I'd get below 250, but once I found myself in a rhythm of tracking what I ate, embracing strength training and knowing when to switch it up (for me, its when I hit 310# on squatting stronglifts), I was able to keep going and break plateaus. Anything is possible, its just a matter of research and sticking with it.

ANd congratulations on 122# that's amazing.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
  • Alli4Chocolate
    Alli4Chocolate Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fabulous!!! :)

09oyzaqwir5j.jpeg
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Awesome! 80 lbs is a fantastic achievement!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!