Anybody with diverticulitis ??

Options
GammieJoy
GammieJoy Posts: 16 Member
My husband has been diagnosed, there is so much conflicting information out there. He also needs to lose about 50 pounds, from what I am reading the food that I am eating ( salads, nuts etc) aren't necessarily good for him with the diverticulitis. So what does one eat that has diverticulitis and needs to lose weight? Thanks in advance for any information, I really appreciate it!

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    diagnosed last year.
    doc and consultant should give nutritional advice first and foremost.
    i am also a type 2(well controlled) diabetic with ibs-c.
    my diary is open.
    fybogel,macrogol(stool softener) prescribed to ease symptoms by doc.
    i find peppermint really helps to,using tea and oil capsules daily.
    finally,a greasy burger really helps on bloated days.fat is essential.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My DH also has diverticulitis. He had a rupture of his colon and had to have a bag for 6mo then reversal surgery. He was very sick. 10yrs later 80 pounds lighter off Typr 2 meds :smiley: and running a 5k a day M-F. Weekends off.
    Aviod Tylenol and NSAIDS hard to do but really these meds are very hard on the gut. So yes he had NO warning when his gut blew he was 43yrs old.
    You can friend me my diary is open. Russell eats a bit more than me. He is 6ft 5in but we are watching our carbs also recommended for Type 2.
    I would tell your dh for me. If he is a hunter or likes to deep sea fish Russell would never have made it to a hospital to save his life. So please keep that in mind when planning a camping trip or a remote location guys love. It is a serious disease.

Patsy
    Lutz Fl
  • GammieJoy
    GammieJoy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wasn't on the boards much last weekend and totally forgot about my question until this morning. Thank you so much for you replies.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    When I had a colonoscopy 5 years ago the doc said I had diverticulosis and to avoid seeds and nuts. I have ignored this advice and been perfectly fine.