calories

Options
hi everyone just wondering if its ok to split my total calories so I have more on a weekend and less through the week for example I'm allowed 11000 total for the week so sunday to thursday have 1400 and friday and Saturday 2000 each day. Does anyone else do that and has that worked better for you because I seem to struggle a little more on the weekend thanks

Replies

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yep, absolutely. I make sure I eat at least 1200 during the week and usually bank my exercise cals for the weekend :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I personally don't specifically do this, but many people do successfully split their week the way you describe without problems.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. People do that. You can make it work for you too. :)
  • treesagreen1
    treesagreen1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    that great news then thanks I can now plan alot better and not go over my target calories for the week. Thanks for replying .
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Yep. It would be pretty hard to stay at 1100, though.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I heard something really cool which was "I hope to lose a pound during the week and only gain half a pound back during the weekend" Similar mentality I think :]
  • treesagreen1
    treesagreen1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    well im only aiming to lose half a pound a week anyway so that suits me just fine lol
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I always do this. Not necessarily for the weekends, but I always bank calories for hungry/fun days. If I try to eat the same every day, I fail. Whatever works for you
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Yup. I employed a strategy of banking exercise calories while I was on vacation to save up for cheese fries! It's like saving up to buy a big electronics item for your house. Budget your calories like you budget money. Don't skimp on your daily needs, just like you wouldn't leave your regular bills unpaid, but do without the extras so you have enough banked to splurge when the time comes.

Hope this makes sense. Counting calories is just like budgeting money.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    I do this as well. My work days are well planned with packed lunches and planned snacks, the weekends are more fluid. And I like that if we go to a bbq or something I don't have to stress about what I'm eating.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Why?

Just record what you eat and let it all work out.

Is it about the food log looking good?

Just seems like a shell game that has no real purpose. If it all really works out in the end, why even do it?
  • meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What a great idea!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Why?

Just seems like a shell game that has no real purpose. If it all really works out in the end, why even do it?

I think you misunderstand her point. Let's say I want a 300 calorie cupcake. I have a 1200 calorie budget. For three days, I'll only eat at 1,100 calories, saving 100 extra calories over the next 3 days to have that cupcake. If you look at my calorie budget for the week, it all evens out.

That's what the OP was asking.

• xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    OP I think this is a great idea! I have the same problem, I'm as good as gold all week but then blow it at the weekend. I'm going to give it a try - thanks :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    a lot of people track weekly instead of daily.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    so those of you that are doing this are you also watching your macros? I think I would go crazy.
    I try and hit my calorie and macro goals on a daily basis (although I learned from other MFP's that I'm not hitting them like I thought I was) and enjoy a treat meal once a week and usually one small treat throughout the week (like a few dove chocolates or scoop of ice cream with the kiddos).
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Why?

Many people find it harder to stay on track on weekends and holidays when they are not distracted by work-related tasks; idle hands are the devil's play-things, as the expression goes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I track weekly and I have a minimum daily protein goal of 100g

I manage to eat ice cream and crisps (US chips) every day too
  • fitchickarw
    fitchickarw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been training people for over 20 years and this is a common practice with people who struggle with weight management. Mathematically, it would make sense; however, that is NOT how your body works. Under eating during the week so you can over eat on the weekend is an example of a dieting eating disorder. (Go to a local Weight Watcher meeting and you'll see the insanity of people not eating/drinking all day and peeing multiple times before weigh-ins... only to sit down and gorge on whatever diet treats they have hidden in their purse before the meeting.)

I'm not saying you can never have a "cheat meal" - then again, if you plan for it, it's not a cheat - but what I am saying is that you should NEVER limit good food and calories you need for the sake of over eating junk you don't. That's a recipe for metabolic disaster.