Not losing & FRUSTRATED AS HELL - help!!

Options
Hello MFP. I am 44 and have been logging here consistently for a year now. The first 30 pounds came off easily, and then I hit a plateau where I keep losing and re-gaining the same damn 5lbs over and over again over the past several months. :s

I'm sedentary to lightly active, and recently reduced my calories to about 2000 calories a day to see if that would help start moving the scale again. I have a Fitbit Flex and a HRM to more accurately reflect my activity (I find MFP's activity entries to be more than twice the actual calories shown on my HRM!). I try not to eat back my exercise calories unless I'm truly hungry. I exercise 2-3x a week and though my calories are set on sedentary, I am probably more lightly active from chasing (and cleaning) after my two kids.

I have been trying so hard, and I feel like nothing is working. I realize my body is adjusting to the weight loss, but I have a LOT more to lose (I'm 304 pounds as of this post) and I want to GET ON IT!! :# Please help! Your feedback, advice, and experience are extremely appreciated.

Thank you,
Darcy

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food with a food scale?
  • Santanico75
    Santanico75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've only just started so I'm no expert, but from what I understand, 2000 calories is what you should be having to maintain your weight. Maybe try cutting back to 1800 for a bit and see if that makes a difference?
    And yes, weighing your food is so important to make sure you're getting correct portion sizes.
  • DarcyHamlin
    DarcyHamlin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I will definitely double check my calorie budget for my current weight and make sure I'm sustaining it but also building in a calorie deficit for weight loss. I am 304 pounds so it's my understanding that I need more calories just to exist than the average weight person. I do weigh my food with a scale and measuring cups. I could drink more water...?
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I know it's about to be said by many people but I'd stop using your measuring cups all together and exclusively use your food scale. There tends to be a noticeable difference in calories between the two
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Also you may want to make your Diary public so people can take a look and spot any potential issues.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just accept that if its not moved for a consistent amount of time then you are simply not at a deficit because you are eating more than you think and burning less. You will need to eat less or move more. Its the most common question.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

If you wnat more advice then please open your diary, tell people your height , current calories, how you are measuring burns, eating back etc.

On a very rough calculation i can see your maintenance is c 2500 calories, so would suspect any deficit you think you are creating is becayse your logging and burning is inaccurate. Other people will tell you the same.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I will definitely double check my calorie budget for my current weight and make sure I'm sustaining it but also building in a calorie deficit for weight loss. I am 304 pounds so it's my understanding that I need more calories just to exist than the average weight person. I do weigh my food with a scale and measuring cups. I could drink more water...?

Weigh all your solid foods on a digital scale. Use measuring cups for caloric liquids only. I bet if you tighten your logging a little further by doing this, the scale will start moving downward again.

• debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    who has the link to lemonlionhearts flow chart?
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
  • DarcyHamlin
    DarcyHamlin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome. I will definitely start weighing everything. I appreciate your comments!!

A bit more about me...I am 5'7". I have two kids and a full time job. I try to work out at least 2-3x a week. I love swimming, walking/jogging, and yoga. I use a FitBit Flex and a HRM to measure my activity (not both). I have found that MFP's entries for the activities I do were over twice my actual burn registered on my HRM.

You're right...I need to lower my actual intake. I definitely need to get real about what I'm actually eating. Thank you for helping me see this! Those flow charts are awesome. :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hello MFP. I am 44 and have been logging here consistently for a year now. The first 30 pounds came off easily, and then I hit a plateau where I keep losing and re-gaining the same damn 5lbs over and over again over the past several months. :s

I'm sedentary to lightly active, and recently reduced my calories to about 2000 calories a day to see if that would help start moving the scale again. I have a Fitbit Flex and a HRM to more accurately reflect my activity.

The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. That's just the way the human body works. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight—and be patient.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE, the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit and enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings.

Get some friends in the Fitbit Users group and do Fitbit challenges. They're great motivation—and fun: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    To consistently lose and transform your body, you need to change up your workout routine and check your calories every month. You are different from when you first started and need to change your approach. Feel free to add me.