fitness band..will it b helpful??

Options
Hi

Im planning to buy fitness band to calculate how much calories im burning daily to loose weight during my gym session and during whole day by other activities.
As i am keeping check on calories intake but nt able to make out the burning calories.

Someone told me about MI band by xiomi.
But im confused by reading mix reviews online.
Will it b helpful??

Replies

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    That all depends on you! Your going to get the usual they aren't good for counting calories argument and such. But for some people they are a motivational tool, some like to see some progress, others just like to see numbers.

I use a Polar V800, I'm very happy with it. I've also used a FT80 and Loop. was happy with those also. I just want to track my heart rate when I'm exercising, not all day, I prefer the chest strap. But my monitor does track calories all day. and separates them into 3 categories, training/activity/bmr. The review will confuse you, you just need to look at what activities/exercise you do and choose the right one for you.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/

http://www.polar.com/us-en/products
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I find them useful in helping me stay active and in reaching daily goals. They are not 100% accurate but they are pretty consistent day to day in measuring your activity level. With that consistency and accurate diet tracking and weight tracking you can dial in your daily calories over time to stay on track in meeting your goals without much guessing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    anyatanu wrote: »
    Hi

Im planning to buy fitness band to calculate how much calories im burning daily to loose weight during my gym session and during whole day by other activities.
    As i am keeping check on calories intake but nt able to make out the burning calories.

So it strikes me that you've got two different questions; is some form of activity tracker useful, and is that specific device right for you?

To address the first, youve conflated a couple of different needs and there are different ways to meet those.

As far as day to day activity tracking is concerned, it might help you or it might not. It rather depends how you're motivated. An activity tracker will act as a pedometer and then convert that to some form of calorie estimation. Personally I'm ambivalent, my tracker doesn't really tell me anything I don't know anyway, if anything my day to day activity is slightly more than I had anticipated, so it's adding to my daily calorie goal.

As far as gym activities are concerned, the most appropriate tool depends on what type of training you do.

The best way to estimate calories expended in resistance training is really just by logging time. Your calories expended are a function of the mass that you lift, and the dsistance that you move it, and there is no proxy to indicate that. Measing your range of motion and faffing about with spreadsheets to decide whether it's 200 cals per thirty minutes or 188 cals per thirty minutes really isn't worth it. Personally I don't log strength training as that 200-300 cals session a couple of times a week doesn't make a huge difference to my intake needs.

If you're doing cardiovascular work then it is very dependent on what you do, and what type of sessions you do. Personally I run and cycle, so use a GPS tracker linked to a heart rate monitor. The calorie expenditure is largely a fucntion of distance moved and time, with some corroboration from heart rate, although what's most meaningful to me is using that data to analyse my performance. If you're doing soething that's not steady state then the accuracy of any tool degrades quite rapidly. The accuracy issue will generally lead to an overestimation as the relationship between HR and calories expended isn't linear. It's only a valid comparison in a fairly limited set of circumstances.

Any logging tool you use will generally base the calculations on some research done at Stanford to determine a Metabolic Equivalent (MET) factoring value.

I appreciate that's a pretty comprehensive answer, but you will find lots of people will just tell you what they've got and recommend that. The right answer really depends on your needs and the types of training that you do.

As far as that specific device is concerned, no idea. It's not what I use, but I don't pimp the brand I use as it may not be the right answer for you.

What I would add is that the reviews at www.dcrainmaker.com are very comprehensive and well informed.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi

So it strikes me that you've got two different questions; is some form of activity tracker useful, and is that specific device right for you?

To address the first, youve conflated a couple of different needs and there are different ways to meet those.

As far as day to day activity tracking is concerned, it might help you or it might not. It rather depends how you're motivated. An activity tracker will act as a pedometer and then convert that to some form of calorie estimation. Personally I'm ambivalent, my tracker doesn't really tell me anything I don't know anyway, if anything my day to day activity is slightly more than I had anticipated, so it's adding to my daily calorie goal.

As far as gym activities are concerned, the most appropriate tool depends on what type of training you do.

The best way to estimate calories expended in resistance training is really just by logging time. Your calories expended are a function of the mass that you lift, and the dsistance that you move it, and there is no proxy to indicate that. Measing your range of motion and faffing about with spreadsheets to decide whether it's 200 cals per thirty minutes or 188 cals per thirty minutes really isn't worth it. Personally I don't log strength training as that 200-300 cals session a couple of times a week doesn't make a huge difference to my intake needs.

If you're doing cardiovascular work then it is very dependent on what you do, and what type of sessions you do. Personally I run and cycle, so use a GPS tracker linked to a heart rate monitor. The calorie expenditure is largely a fucntion of distance moved and time, with some corroboration from heart rate, although what's most meaningful to me is using that data to analyse my performance. If you're doing soething that's not steady state then the accuracy of any tool degrades quite rapidly. The accuracy issue will generally lead to an overestimation as the relationship between HR and calories expended isn't linear. It's only a valid comparison in a fairly limited set of circumstances.

Any logging tool you use will generally base the calculations on some research done at Stanford to determine a Metabolic Equivalent (MET) factoring value.

I appreciate that's a pretty comprehensive answer, but you will find lots of people will just tell you what they've got and recommend that. The right answer really depends on your needs and the types of training that you do.

As far as that specific device is concerned, no idea. It's not what I use, but I don't pimp the brand I use as it may not be the right answer for you.

What I would add is that the reviews at www.dcrainmaker.com are very comprehensive and well informed.

A longer version of what I was going to say.

Before looking at any brand, and any model within the brand, you need to decide exactly what you want out of a tracker. All (except those that are only HRM's) are pretty good at counting steps and calculating calories burnt from step-based exercises. All will give you goals to work towards. Most have some kind of website or app that compiles the info and generates reports. Many will sync with MFP. Some can be worn 24/7, others need to be removed for showering and swimming/water sports. The higher end ones with HRM's and other things that can track more types of exercise all have their good and bad features.

Decide what you want out of it, then look for the brand and model that gives you what you need within your budget.

To directly answer your question, I have a lower end one that tracks step based activity and I have found it extremely helpful. It gives me a daily goal to work towards and gives me more info than I would otherwise know. The TDEE it calculates is very close to the TDEE i have figured out based on my actual numbers (calorie eaten adjusted for weight lost)

• anyatanu
    anyatanu Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks a ton to all fr suggestions.
    Have ordered one:)
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    They seem like unnecessary gadgetry to me. I would only use one to help maintain a certain heart rate or for calculating running miles.
  • anyatanu
    Options
    I jat want to c if im maintainin min calories burn required to loose weight.
    Lets c how much it will help :)
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    They seem like unnecessary gadgetry to me. I would only use one to help maintain a certain heart rate or for calculating running miles.

With you, gal! I've had people say "but they tell me stuff about my best sleep hours!" Seriously? Are you that egotistical and self centered and me me me that you need something like this and to tell people about this? I get so tired of the human race, I swear.
  • SkiMummy
    SkiMummy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I recently bought a fitbit, and it has been a HUGE motivator for me.
    I don't think they work for everyone, but I am constantly driven to climb extra stairs and walk further because I know it is being counted.
    It has also helped me develop a very realistic idea of just how active (or not!) I am from day to day.
  • anyatanu
    Options
    Indigoblu1 wrote: »

With you, gal! I've had people say "but they tell me stuff about my best sleep hours!" Seriously? Are you that egotistical and self centered and me me me that you need something like this and to tell people about this? I get so tired of the human race, I swear.

The reason to purchase that is not to show to ppl. i jst want it fr myself....for me to get motivated. And i dont think its bad to think about youself.
    we ppl always thinks about our family...husband...child...then why not fr ourself...whats the downside
  • anyatanu
    Options
    SkiMummy wrote: »
    I have to say that I recently bought a fitbit, and it has been a HUGE motivator for me.
    I don't think they work for everyone, but I am constantly driven to climb extra stairs and walk further because I know it is being counted.
    It has also helped me develop a very realistic idea of just how active (or not!) I am from day to day.

Yeah...thats the same reason why i want to have one. To b motivated...But was in confusion whether it wrks like that or nor..but after hearin ppl like you who are using it i hope its going to solve my purpose :)
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Indigoblu1 wrote: »

The reason to purchase that is not to show to ppl. i jst want it fr myself....for me to get motivated. And i dont think its bad to think about youself.
    we ppl always thinks about our family...husband...child...then why not fr ourself...whats the downside

where's the like icon on here :-)

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    SkiMummy wrote: »
    *snip*

That was the biggest revelation. If I didn't make an effort, I could easily get fewer than 2000 steps in a day. Yikes! I had no idea I was THAT sedentary (but my waistline should have told me). Now I am getting 10-20k steps a day.