CICO question PLEASE DO NOT BE RUDE!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    No. If you eat 1500 calories and burn 300 in the gym, your deficit is 300. You will have 1200 net calories. Your net calories should be the same as your goal calories.

If your goal is 1500, you eat 1800 and burn 300. This gives you 1500 net.

What? No.

It's not technically wrong just kind of a backwards way of thinking. If your goal is 1500, and you burn 300 and eat 1800, your net is still 1500.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Net calories doesn't matter for overall health. As long as you feel like you have plenty of energy and you're grossing 1200 calories eaten a day, you're good (unless you're pretty low in your healthy BMI or else your deficit is more than 1000 per day). Most people find when they work out, they need more fuel to feel good.

For me, I'm extra hungry the day AFTER I work out a lot. I don't even know if I can hit a deficit today, in fact, at all. :) I've done 1000, 900, 500, 500 over the four previous days (and walked 15k-30k steps a day), and I slightly injured my hip and am resting today, so I want to eat everything that's not nailed down. :)
  • smadaris91
    smadaris91 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I actually have a personal butcher that cuts all my meats to 4oz portions each week. and the other foods i use cup or tablespoons to measure. im single so its just me that i cook for. so i don't think the measuring is a problem but i will make sure to stress to my butcher that i need all meat at exactly 4oz. i also have a deli that weighs out individual portions of deli meat and cheese for me.
  • arditarose
    Options
    smadaris91 wrote: »
    I actually have a personal butcher that cuts all my meats to 4oz portions each week. and the other foods i use cup or tablespoons to measure. im single so its just me that i cook for. so i don't think the measuring is a problem but i will make sure to stress to my butcher that i need all meat at exactly 4oz. i also have a deli that weighs out individual portions of deli meat and cheese for me.

You need to weigh everything. The meat you eat at each sitting, your vegetables, fruit, etc. Cups and measuring spoons are not accurate.
  • FatPixiee
    FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The most I've done is 1,084ish? So I've gotten the negative net calories, but I would still end up eating something before bed. I would mainly just walk at a good pace around my neighborhood, to the store, other places, throughout the day so it would accumulate to hours of walking. Then maybe an hour in the gym with eliptical, treadmill, some weights. But yes, a neg net is definitely not necessary for weightloss. It just means you exercised like crazy or didn't eat. :)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Or you can weigh the portions you have and adjust the serving when you enter in the database. So if you have one piece that comes in at 3.9 Oz, just adjust when you weigh it.
  • smadaris91
    smadaris91 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ok ill def. get a scale to measure veggies and fruit. to make sure they are weighed out properly. :smile:
  • arditarose
    Options
    ok ill def. get a scale to measure veggies and fruit. to make sure they are weighed out properly. :smile:

Great! It can make a huge difference. Then you'll have a better idea of your intake and can decide how much you need to increase your calories, if at all.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Sounds like a plan. Good luck.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Net calories doesn't matter for overall health.

It sure as heck does! Running low net calories with heavy exercise burns is a guaranteed way to burn up lean body mass, even in those who are obese.

As long as you feel like you have plenty of energy...

If you have "plenty of energy" you are not running low net calories.

NOBODY - not even elite world class athletes - have "plenty of energy" on low net calories.

If someone has "plenty of energy" and think they have low net calories, they need to check their logging, because their numbers are wrong.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    ok!! I was so confused but now I totally understand :) thanks everyone so much!! I don't know why I was so confused with it? I'm glad that I can finally be happy with the calories I burn. I was so disappointed I couldn't burn 2000 calories and now I know how unrealistic it is for me to do. im glad I finally asked and thank you all so much for being so patient with me and not being rude!!

so I have a goal of 1770 calories a day and most times I don't meet that goal I usually eat around 1300 a day. (because I also have to watch carbs and sugar due to an issue im faced with health wise)
    I also burn around 400-700 in the gym. (700 being days I can actually stay at the gym for a longer time) and I was not eating that back? so my net calories where really only approximately 900 calories a day? that doesn't seem healthy? maybe I should starting eating more calories?

If you have to have low carbs for medical issues, it's easy to add calories using healthy fats especially nuts.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Net calories doesn't matter for overall health.

It sure as heck does! Running low net calories with heavy exercise burns is a guaranteed way to burn up lean body mass, even in those who are obese.

As long as you feel like you have plenty of energy...

If you have "plenty of energy" you are not running low net calories.

NOBODY - not even elite world class athletes - have "plenty of energy" on low net calories.

If someone has "plenty of energy" and think they have low net calories, they need to check their logging, because their numbers are wrong.

It depends on how you define "plenty of energy." I was able to go on with my everyday life and work out and even run while netting under 1200--and then I experienced extreme fatigue. This fatigue lasted even after I took a maintenance break. I improved my cardiovascular conditioning from being barely able to run 3 minutes to running over 45 while not eating any of my exercise calories back. I don't think a person will necessarily realize how much damage they're doing while they're inflicting it.

I am at a normal weight but I feel like I carry more fat and less muscle than I would have if I had netted higher all along.

ETA: I used a food scale for most of this time period.
  • USNsnipe
    USNsnipe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I too found the information very helpful and informative.
    Thanks