I have to laugh or I may cry!

Options
I have lost 30 lbs since Feb. 1. My mom hasn't noticed. Today she drops by and says she has a birthday idea, she wants a new Tigers shirt. I ask what size? She says, well I've put on some weight, just hold it up to you. Seriously !!! I feel like crying

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Nevermind. My mom *lives* with me and hasn't noticed I've dropped 50 lbs in 5 months! She sure noticed (and made some incredibly rude comments!) when I was gaining, though. LOL.
  • carole4000
    carole4000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Oh what are they like! My mum pokes my stomach and says 'oh you haven't lost weight then' but then says you don't want to lose too much?!
  • kelleyjhale
    kelleyjhale Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone. Moms tend to do this. Sometimes it seems like it is there way of keeping you as a kid forever.
  • SkiMummy
    SkiMummy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also think that sometimes it is hard when you see someone regularly.
    The odd lb lost here and there isn't as obvious as it is to someone who only sees you every few months.

But I think that is really sad.
    Maybe you should turn around and be brutally honest.
    Tell her you are working hard and doing well and loosing weight, and her comments aren't always helpful.

And 30lbs since Feb - that is amazing.
    WELL DONE YOU :-)
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Get her a size small. Then say "but.....I held it up to me!!!" Lol.
  • DawnUrbanski
    DawnUrbanski Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Going to use as motivation. And I did mention to my husband I was getting her a XS
  • nemo3590
    nemo3590 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Makes me appreciate when my mom noticed I had lost weight and complimented me. I'm very private and intentionally wear clothes that make it hard to tell I'm losing, but I appreciated it all the same.
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    zacksnana wrote: »
    Get her a size small. Then say "but.....I held it up to me!!!" Lol.
    I like this one. My mum never noticed when I lost any weight either. When friends would say I was doing well and had lost weight she always said she didn't notice and that I needed to be doing something about my weight though. She said things about me as if I wasn't there and had no feelings. This was after going down 2 dress sizes and losing around 25lbs!! It was very hurtful and I honestly now believe it was jealousy. Didn't think it at the time, just got upset, but on reflection it was quite nasty I think.
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    By the way Dawn, I meant to say congratulations on your great weight loss. Keep at it, facts are facts, and losing 30lbs is definitely noticeable, you're amazing xxx
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My mother has been pretty supportive of the weight thing since she found out that, before having a kid and ballooning, I maintained such a slender figure through anorexia. Now, she always tells me that I look good. Moms don't realize the kind of damage they do with thoughtless comments-- I actually developed an eating disorder because she made fun of my "stomach" (baby fat, I was 11) hanging out over my jeans, and telling her friends what size pants I wore. Try not to let it bother you too much, as difficult as that is, but YOU see your progress, and I'm sure others do, too.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My mom can't help but to notice I'm loosing weight. I'm so excited to see the scale go down I tell her every day... sometimes twice a day. It's moments like this when I'm glad I've got the mom that I've got. Good for you for loosing 30lbs Dawn (that's my middle name :) ) If your mom won't say it there are plenty of other people who will.