At home strength training?

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
Good morning everyone. So up until now I had really just been focusing on cardio and diet. I had figured that working on strength training was not as important because I had so much to lose/had a job where I lifted so wasn't worried about muscle mass. However, now that I have lost half the weight (70lbs) I figured I should start strength training. I don't have access to a gym (my work hours are too crazy to even consider joining one), and right now I don't have access to weights. I was wondering if anyone knew any good at home programs that don't require weights to begin with. I plan on using my next paycheck to buy some home strength training equipment- like free weights and bands. Any advice on what else I should look for?

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! My 23 year old daughter told me about this guy on youtube - it's pretty cheesy and super 80's, but he's got 8 minute strength training workouts. I've been doing the arms one. I use weights, but you can do them without weights or even use a couple cans of food.

Look for "8 minute arms" or "8 minute buns" etc. on youtube. I find it's something I can do, and something that's making a difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "You are Your Own Gym" is a good read...
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    congrats on your progress so far. When I first starting working out from home with no equipment and limited weights I made a list of every muscle group and bodyweight exercises I could do. I then formulated a weekly plan. I used google images, pinterest, instagram, and youtube for ideas. Get r done.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Visit magazine websites like SHAPE or Fitness and search for body weight routines. I have a weight bench, stability ball, and dumbbells from 5 - 40lbs at home, as well as an aerobic stepper. I almost prefer lifting at home, because I can do most of the exercises I need to do here. The only thing I feel like I'm missing out on are dips, pull ups, and some of the leg press machines.

Congratulations on your huge loss, and good luck on your journey! I've found that my body has changed the most from strength training.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I use Fitness Blender videos. You can use hand weights or whatever or you can use waterbottles or anything you can find around the house.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I got a lot of ideas when I was starting out from this MFP thread...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1428309/what-can-calisthenics-do-for-you-let-me-show-you/p1

The girl that originally posted it had some wonderful before and after pics but she has since pulled them down. A lot of good info and links still in the thread though. I use an app on my tablet called Sworkit. Lots of good stretching, bodyweight, cardio and yoga exercises... no equipment needed and it links to MFP. Have fun :)
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just started using Sworkit and I love it! Its simple and flexible so you can workout whenever you have time
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Soggynode wrote: »
    I got a lot of ideas when I was starting out from this MFP thread...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1428309/what-can-calisthenics-do-for-you-let-me-show-you/p1

The girl that originally posted it had some wonderful before and after pics but she has since pulled them down. A lot of good info and links still in the thread though. I use an app on my tablet called Sworkit. Lots of good stretching, bodyweight, cardio and yoga exercises... no equipment needed and it links to MFP. Have fun :)

How do you link Sworkit to MFP? I haven't figured it out yet lol
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the awesome suggestions!
    I just started using Sworkit and I love it! Its simple and flexible so you can workout whenever you have time

Question- I had downloaded that app, but a bit confused by it. Do you just follow along with the videos?