Hypothyroidism

Options
Desperate for any help I'm really struggling with my weight I've been diagnosed with borderline hypothyroidism and started thyroxine anyone with any advice or would like to add me please feel free x

Replies

• loriar66
    loriar66 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid (thyroid was removed about 6 years ago) and I've struggled with my weight ever since. Have you read the Thyroid Diet by Mary Shomon? Might really help someone who still has a thyroid.
  • Sorchya
    Sorchya Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been hypothyroid for years. With thyroxine make sure you take it on an empty stomach and not with any other pills, and wait an hour before eating, also taking it when you first get up really helps. It is hard to lose weight and I find for me exercise, at least walking daily, is needed to help the metabolism kick up a bit.
  • christinemaryhill
    christinemaryhill Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thank you for your reply I was advised to take it at night as would help with the fatigue side have you heard of this? Thanks in advance
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I've been without a thyroid since 2000 and gradually put weight on due to lack of exercise. I kept eating like I was running 6mi/day and swimming 2mi/day, only I forgot to run and swim.

Once I started using MFP about a year ago and started running and swimming again I lost gradually. Get your doc to push your TSH between 0.3 and 3.0 if you can and log your activity religiously.

There are quite a few Olympic athletes with hypothyroidism along with numerous fitness stars - Jillian Michaels being among them.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    My advice is to make sure you take that medicine on an empty stomach and wait an hour before eating. I know it's a bother, but that med won't get absorbed correctly otherwise. I am.... well I'm *very* hypothyroid lol. My other recommendations are: Lift weights, not just cardio, and make sure you eat plenty of protein and veggies, and take it easy on the starches/carbs. I came to this plan via my doctor and a nutritionist when plain old calorie counting didn't work and WW didn't work, and just cardio didn't work. I'm happy to talk with you any time about the experiences I have had in the past 15 years of my dead worthless thyroid lol. I did lose my excess fat. It was not easy but it was possible. :)
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    First I apologize if I come across as a little too blunt, that's not my intent. I have it myself and am taking synthroid every morning. But really if you take your medication every day on an empty stomach and your blood tests say your thyroid is normal with the medication you are taking, then there is no problem. In other words, when properly controlled, hypothyroidism has absolutely no impact on metabolism.

Now let's spin that in the positive! Eat right and exercise and you will lose weight. In a way, the fact you have a thyroid imbalance gives us a health warning sign most people don't have. If we have changed nothing with how we diet and exercise and suddenly weight starts either piling on or melting off, it's time to get our butts into the doctor because it's probably time to adjust our meds.

But really, don't see hypothyroidism as a limiter. Get it under control through your doctor, and follow the basics: calorie deficit and at least 30 minutes of moderate effort activity every day and you'll be fine!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1