Article on Woo -

Options
limetree683
limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jun/27/new-wellness-bloggers-food-drink-hadley-freeman

A good overview of the many types of woo promoted within the weightloss industry, from unqualified barely pubescent girls giving nutritional advice to people claiming their diet cures cancer.

Replies

• percolater
    percolater Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What is woo?
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ^Stuff without an evidence base that claims to help you lose weight - e.g. gluten is bad for you (everyone seems to be intolerant to gluten all of a sudden), that juicing will help you cure cancer etc etc.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    percolater wrote: »
    What is woo?
    Anything you don't agree with, generally, but is used to say, "This is BS" - "This is woo."

Sometimes, though, people might say something is woo because they don't like and/or agree with it, even when all the scientists, doctors, et cetera agree on it.

Someone saying it's "woo" doesn't necessarily make it so, KWIM?

One man's "Healthy At Every Size" is another man's woo. One man's "Sodium intake should be watched" is another man's woo.

• ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    cb8rugyni3g1.jpg
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    ^Yeah but there are a LOT of concepts in the health and nutrition world that are flat out wrong and not remotely based in science. It's not all "do whatever works for you, everybody is different". Crap deserves to be refuted, especially if it's the kind that swindles people out of their money, and even more so if it could be dangerous.
    "Woo", while a made up term, is not the term for something you just don't agree with.

+1
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ^Yeah but there are a LOT of concepts in the health and nutrition world that are flat out wrong and not remotely based in science. It's not all "do whatever works for you, everybody is different". Crap deserves to be refuted, especially if it's the kind that swindles people out of their money, and even more so if it could be dangerous.
    "Woo", while a made up term, is not the term for something you just don't agree with.

+3

Woo is not a term for things you don't agree with.

Woo is a term for pseudo-science and feels-based medicine and nutrition advice. I have never seen it used as it was asserted upthread.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    What is woo?
    Anything you don't agree with, generally, but is used to say, "This is BS" - "This is woo."

Sometimes, though, people might say something is woo because they don't like and/or agree with it, even when all the scientists, doctors, et cetera agree on it.

One man's "Healthy At Every Size" is another man's woo. One man's "Sodium intake should be watched" is another man's woo.

No. HAES is all woo. All of it. Every last bit.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

+3

Woo is not a term for things you don't agree with.

Woo is a term for pseudo-science and feels-based medicine and nutrition advice. I have never seen it used as it was asserted upthread.

+1

Sometimes known as quackery, charlatanism, cons and by other names as well.

There is a social cost to woo, paid for in dollars and victim's lives: http://whatstheharm.net

Here is a collection of more notorious woo: http://www.quackwatch.org

wow that quackwatch is a fun site.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Great links! <3
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    What is woo?

To froggy frog ^^^
    tumblr_nn22oj5flh1tq4of6o1_250.gif

@percolater here you go : http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Woo
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    What is woo?

To froggy frog ^^^
    tumblr_nn22oj5flh1tq4of6o1_250.gif

@percolater here you go : http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Woo

ahahahahaha. Laughs. Thank you.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    That's how it's used.

I think there's even a thread going now that discusses the idea of sodium being something you might want to keep an eye on as "woo." Doctors and scientists disagree, but it's "woo" to some.

HAES is not considered "woo" to the HAES people.

I was just explaining how the word is used. People tend to use it to mean "things I don't like/believe/agree with."

I'm not suggesting people stop using it or use it in the way others do. I don't personally even use the word.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    That's how it's used.

I think there's even a thread going now that discusses the idea of sodium being something you might want to keep an eye on as "woo." Doctors and scientists disagree, but it's "woo" to some.

I was just explaining how the word is used. People tend to use it to mean "things I don't like/believe/agree with."

I'm not suggesting people stop using it or use it in the way others do. I don't personally even use the word.

Green Tea Extract isn't considered woo to those who take GTE. Imagine my utter fecking surprise. Woo is and always has been pseuedoscience, regardless of your attempt to say otherwise.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    That's how it's used.

Green Tea Extract isn't considered woo to those who take GTE. Imagine my utter fecking surprise. Woo is and always has been pseuedoscience, regardless of your attempt to say otherwise.
    Look, I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings or insult anyone.

I am not arguing over the definition of a made-up word that I don't use, lol.

I was just explaining to the person who asked how the word is used. If you disagree, then we disagree.

I am not entering into some stupid fight and sincerely apologize if I offended anyone. It was not my intent.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    What is woo?

Everybody loves science until it challenges their personally held BS.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    That's how it's used.

Look, I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings or insult anyone.

I am not arguing over the definition of a made-up word that I don't use, lol.

I was just explaining to the person who asked how the word is used. If you disagree, then we disagree.

I am not entering into some stupid fight and sincerely apologize if I offended anyone. It was not my intent.

If you don't use the word and you clearly don't understand what it means, then what are you doing trying to answer the question? No one is offended at you being wrong about the meaning of a word. Jaded bemusement would be a better description.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Barely concealed guffaws.