Hello fellow fit friends...

conancharley823
conancharley823 Posts: 8 Member
edited June 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hello, my name is Conan and I'm completely new to this.... I'm a single full time father of three and gym time is a luxury.. Between work and my turds they accumulate most of my time. I'm looking to bulk up a little... Not get all huge but definitely gain some weight and mass... Any help will be appreciated and guidance will be accepted... THank you in advance!!!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    edited June 2015
    No sarcasm here, lift big, eat big. Could use more info to give real guidance. What kind of exercise do you do now?

I just saw your edit. Do you have equipment or space for it at home?
  • conancharley823
    Yesterday all lower body.. Today all upper body ... Lifting about 80% max and 3 sets of 15 or till I burn out.. Man.. Today was tough .. Eating 3000 calories had me finding food every chance I got... But I got it in and spent an hour at the gym with 15 min of jogging...
  • conancharley823
    I just joined the local gym that has a daycare available which has helped a ton
  • MB_Positif
    So you're doing upper/lower splits, which are great. Overall would you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate or advanced lifter?
  • MB_Positif

That is awesome! I lift at home because I have to do it at 5 am to get to work on time so it's much safer(?) to stumble to my basement than drive my car at that hour

• conancharley823
    Definitely beginner ... I've read up enough to grasp the basic concepts and have cycled through the various machines at the gym ...
  • conancharley823
    Is an hour too much.. I've heard that a good 30 min work out is plenty ..
  • conancharley823
    MB_Positif wrote: »

That is awesome! I lift at home because I have to do it at 5 am to get to work on time so it's much safer(?) to stumble to my basement than drive my car at that hour

I wish I had equipment or even the space for it ... Can't carry free weights cuz of my 4 year old liking to do whatever I do .. No need for broken toes or fingers
  • MB_Positif
    edited June 2015
    30 minutes can be enough for something like Stronglifts 5x5 which is a beginner program for gaining strength. It's a barbell program and I'd recommend starting there or with another program like Starting Strength to learn form on the compound lifts. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Barbell Rows and Overhead Press. After that you can move on to something more geared toward muscle building. Machines can only take you so far because they don't engage stabilizer muscles like the compound lifts do. You can add me as a friend if you'd like in case you end up having more questions as you go along!

Edited to add, an hour is not too much, but it's not required.
  • conancharley823
    Thank you very much ... I will be in contact with updates and progress .. I appreciate the help