How do I get leaner?

Options
Not sure if this post is for the fitness section or nutrition? Probably both!
I am 5'11" weigh 10st 6 and went to get leaner and more shredded.
I do x3 Bootcamp sessions that are 60 mins each and a 10 k run per week. Also other light activity... Horse riding etc. I am trying to stick to a high protein, low carb, low sugar clean eating diet too. Should I start doing weights? Or up my protein? Confused!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You should eat at a deficit if you have fat to lose.... Do you accurately weigh, measure and log everything that goes in to your mouth?

If you are already at a healthy weight, you may need to consider a recomp to gain muscle and lose fat. It's a slow process, but may get you the results you want... Starting a lifting program would be a great idea!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Lean = low body fat percentage

This means you need to reduce your body fat percentage, this is done by creating a caloric deficit (eating less than your body needs to maintain its weight).

Yes, start doing weights to preserve muscle mass. Up your protein too, around 0.6-0.8g per lb of body mass.

Not sure if there is any point of low carbing to get lean, but that is your choice OP. Same with the 'clean eating' and low sugar... unless you're pre-diabetic etc.
  • SarahCairns2015
    SarahCairns2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not at the moment but just started using my fitness pal to do this!
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Definitely start weighing/measuring your foods otherwise your calorie consumption could be way off.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Regardless of your goal, accurate logging will help you achieve them. Weigh all solids (preferably raw/pre cooking), measure or weigh all liquids...
  • Sofiahuerta
    Sofiahuerta Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm looking to tone up as well. I've tried excersizing more but maybe I'm just not eating right. If I gain any weight it tends to just be more fat, so I can't really seem to gain even a small amount of muscle
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Yeah, I'm looking to tone up as well. I've tried excersizing more but maybe I'm just not eating right. If I gain any weight it tends to just be more fat, so I can't really seem to gain even a small amount of muscle

Weight loss (toning up) requires a caloric deficit. Weight gain requires a caloric surplus. It will be pretty hard for you to gain muscle in a caloric deficit... are you sure you're eating correctly for your goals?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited June 2015
    Options

Women don't gain muscle easily. Eating at a deficit isn't going to help you gain muscle. Gaining decent muscle generally comes with adding fat too - many women won't let themselves do it as they don't want the excess fat! It does mess with your brain a bit..

Look in to recomposition if you are at a healthy weight and don't need to lose "weight" - there are plenty of threads on the forum about it!
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Hello, Feel free to friend. I'm on the same journey. I'm 5'10 ish and 10st 1lb. I am just about to start a lifting regime and have been counting calories to get to where I am (Slim but squidgy).
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Eat around maintenance, or a slight deficit. Lift lots of heavy things. Throw out the low carb/sugar/clean eating diet and eat what you want within your goals. Rinse,repeat.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Here's what has worked for me. Yes, calorie is king. But I prepped for a bikini competition last year and my coach had me carb cycle. Essentially alternating between days of low carb and spiking every few days with refeed/high carb days. My calorie intake stayed the same, but I lost A LOT of fat with this method. I didn't have much to lose at 5'8'' 132 lbs, but I did drop to 122 lbs in 6 weeks and maintained most of my muscle in the process. She even had me eliminate cardio because I dropped fat so quickly. I maintain now at 125 lbs all year round by carb cycling. I also ONLY lift, I literally don't touch cardio equipment. Though I should add I have two young kids and a huge house that keep me plenty busy.