Cardio versus weight training for weight loss

Options
JRitaK
JRitaK Posts: 62 Member
First off, I apologize if this has been posted about or if there's already an existing thread. Please link me if necessary.

I would like to get some opinions, testimonials and overall information on which form of exercise is better for losing weight; cardio or weight training. I know they both burn calories. Weight training helps you build muscle which will burn even more calories and helps your metabolism (supposedly). Cardio is good for your overall health and endurance.

I just want to know whether I should continue to do both or choose one over the other to focus on to help me lose weight. Right now I do cardio most days. The only day I don't do it is a leg day. Otherwise it's cardio plus weight training. I enjoy doing both and feel like weight training is helping tone me up but I just want to see fat loss and the number go down on the scale.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit; it doesn't matter what exercise you do.
  • jenluvs2sing
    jenluvs2sing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's like apples and oranges, they're both good for your health ;)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it doesn't matter. That comes from a calorie deficit.

For fat loss, I was amazed at what a difference strength training made. Not so much a difference on the scale, but a huge change in the mirror, photos and how clothes fit. (And no one else can see the number on the scale.)

But I do both, on alternating days, with at least one rest day a week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is due to calorie deficit. Exercise isn't even needed.

Exercise is for fitness, health and improving your physique. A combination of both resistance training and cardio is a good balance.
    There are no "best" exercises to lose weight because unless there's a calorie deficit along with it, weight loss won't happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options

For fat loss, I was amazed at what a difference strength training made. Not so much a difference on the scale, but a huge change in the mirror, photos and how clothes fit. (And no one else can see the number on the scale.)

I do this also and it yields amazing results! It all depends on how fast you wanna change too. Fat loss is slower than weight loss.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Both
  • JRitaK
    Options

I want to lose weight and lose fat but I also want to keep the muscle I've gained, which is why my weight is still as much as it is. I know no one sees the number on the scale but I do and I know I'm still 30lbs overweight.

So I'm not sure if I should focus on just cardio while being in a calorie deficit to lose weight first or whether I should continue to strength train to build up my muscle and hopefully aid my metabolism (if that really works). I know the number on the scale will be up and down because I'll be gaining muscle while losing fat, hopefully.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    JRitaK wrote: »

I want to lose weight and lose fat but I also want to keep the muscle I've gained, which is why my weight is still as much as it is. I know no one sees the number on the scale but I do and I know I'm still 30lbs overweight.

So I'm not sure if I should focus on just cardio while being in a calorie deficit to lose weight first or whether I should continue to strength train to build up my muscle and hopefully aid my metabolism (if that really works). I know the number on the scale will be up and down because I'll be gaining muscle while losing fat, hopefully.

It will be pretty hard for you to build muscle in a deficit. Focus on lifting as much as cardio, so yo preserve more muscle.
  • JRitaK
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Exercise is for fitness, health and improving your physique. A combination of both resistance training and cardio is a good balance.
    There are no "best" exercises to lose weight because unless there's a calorie deficit along with it, weight loss won't happen.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    [/quote]

But I'm sure exercise while in a calorie deficit certainly helps, right? I want to lose weight but I also want to lose fat, without losing muscle. Is that even possible? Or do I need to focus on weight loss first to get to an appropriate weight for my weight, then focus on fat loss and muscle building? I feel like I can lose fat and hopefully maintain muscle at the same time, but with a slower weight loss?
  • Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Both are awesome to do. Strength training tones and grows the muscles (it does also increase your BMR because more muscles means more fuel needed), while cardio burns fat.
    I would stick with doing both, but I wouldn't do more than 3 days of cardio (that's my opinion). If you do too much it can actually start taking away your muscles.
    If you're looking at just weight loss though, it's CICO.
  • JRitaK
    Options

It will be pretty hard for you to build muscle in a deficit. Focus on lifting as much as cardio, so yo preserve more muscle.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't necessarily want to build any MORE muscle right now, I just don't want to lose what I have already...though I feel like that will happen regardless as I lose weight. That's just naturally how the body works? It's not just fat or water weight, it's also a little muscle too. And I'm sure my protein consumption will have a lot to do with it. As in if I consume more protein, hopefully my muscles won't be lost as much.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Kman4evah wrote: »
    Both are awesome to do. Strength training tones and grows the muscles (it does also increase your BMR because more muscles means more fuel needed), while cardio burns fat.
    I would stick with doing both, but I wouldn't do more than 3 days of cardio (that's my opinion). If you do too much it can actually start taking away your muscles.
    If you're looking at just weight loss though, it's CICO.

Bolded sentence = wut???
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But I'm sure exercise while in a calorie deficit certainly helps, right? I want to lose weight but I also want to lose fat, without losing muscle. Is that even possible? Or do I need to focus on weight loss first to get to an appropriate weight for my weight, then focus on fat loss and muscle building? I feel like I can lose fat and hopefully maintain muscle at the same time, but with a slower weight loss?
    Exercise helps to create a calorie deficit yes, but any weight loss will include some muscle along with fat. To reduce the amount of muscle loss, one would weight resistance train to deter it. Also the amount of protein consumed is important.
    What most people don't get that when losing weight you lose fat and muscle, and when gaining, you gain fat and muscle. It's just how the body works.
    Recomp is possible, but you have to have a lot of patience.
    For most of my clients, they usually just eat 500 less from their TDEE and train their butts off every session. Once their physique reveals itself, many just continue on the same program. Some are set up for fitness and others for muscle (whatever they have) definition.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png[/quote]

• MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Nothing has ever changed my body so much as strength training. Sure, cardio/running/yoga help me lose fat, but my body composition changes much more drastically when I am consistently strength training - more toned, more lean, slimmer, etc. A lot of times I don't even lose weight while lifting, but since my body changes shape, I might drop a pants size. Also, when I'm seriously lifting, it improves my running (makes me faster and gives me more endurance).

I highly HIGHLY recommend doing both: Cardio for keeping the excess fat off and strength training to build and keep lean muscle mass and keep your body running at its peak.
  • JRitaK
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Exercise helps to create a calorie deficit yes, but any weight loss will include some muscle along with fat. To reduce the amount of muscle loss, one would weight resistance train to deter it. Also the amount of protein consumed is important.
    What most people don't get that when losing weight you lose fat and muscle, and when gaining, you gain fat and muscle. It's just how the body works.
    Recomp is possible, but you have to have a lot of patience.
    For most of my clients, they usually just eat 500 less from their TDEE and train their butts off every session. Once their physique reveals itself, many just continue on the same program. Some are set up for fitness and others for muscle (whatever they have) definition.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

[/quote]

Ok, that makes sense and I figured as much. Thank you very much for the reply!

• MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Also, I love workouts that incorporate cardio and strength training together. Check out this link for the one I'm doing now :)

Spoiler alert: My legs were SO SORE after the first time I did it in a while...

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/4-weeks-fit-total-body-makeover
  • JRitaK
    Options
    MlleKelly wrote: »
    Also, I love workouts that incorporate cardio and strength training together. Check out this link for the one I'm doing now :)

Spoiler alert: My legs were SO SORE after the first time I did it in a while...

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/4-weeks-fit-total-body-makeover

Awesome, thanks so much for sharing!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult for me to stick to a caloric deficit if I don't do reasonable amounts of cardio - so I have to do cardio to slim down. I know there are lots of others like this, but it's not universal - some people can even stick to a deficit while sitting on their butts.

So you'll have to find what works best for you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Notwitshtanding the clorific deficit, which doesnt really get youy any furtehr forward and is a given, then you really arent appreciating the fact they are different and complementray which is why you do both. Once you understand that, then youll realise when you look back at it you are just looking at it wrongly.