On the Vegetarian Vegan Cusp :) Need Guidance Please :)

Options
2»

Replies

• HealthyColleen22
    HealthyColleen22 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've tried some Gardein products & enjoy them :) Thanks for the cookbook suggestion! I'll definitely look into it! The more resources the better! And thank you for sharing about your daughter's health on a vegan diet. I currently have no children but would like to raise my child on the this diet. Thanks again!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm a fan of Mark Bittman as a food writer. I'm not crazy about his cookbooks because I'm a foodie who likes over-complicated recipes with obscure ingredients and he doesn't deliver this. That's probably a plus for most people though :smiley:

Bittman cookbooks are available in my library system so maybe yours as well. I like to checkout cookbooks from the library before I buy them.
  • mysta42
    mysta42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of the ways I stay engaged is through listening to podcasts as suggested above and following a number of people/groups on Facebook (the Vegan RD, Forks Over Knives, The Thinking Vegan, various farm animal sanctuaries, etc.). I learn a lot and don't feel so alone this way. I don't know any vegans in my day-to-day life so having articles, recipes, and resources sent my way every day online keeps me connected. You may want to check out the Vegan RD's blog for your questions about protein.

And yes, keep ignoring the small-minded trolls. They're everywhere.
  • ssernst
    ssernst Posts: 69 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am also transitioning to vegan. After reading The China Study, I do believe it's the healthiest way to eat, plus better for animals and the environment.

Cookbooks are always great, and I love Thug Kitchen as someone else mentioned before (as long as you aren't offended by constant cussing. The writers are hilarious) and just bought Mayim Bialik's new cookbook and am liking it. I've been eating whole grains, fruits and veggies, and beans, plus taking a B12 supplement.

Living in Wyoming where everyone is a steak eater makes it tough. In the 6 years I've been a vegetarian, I have not met a single other person who follows any type of veg diet here. Please anyone feel free to add me, always looking to learn together!
  • rozalie13
    rozalie13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Good on you! Veganism is absolutely the healthiest diet to have :)
    Firstly, I strongly suggest you read 80/10/10, watch Forks over Knives and 101 reasons to go vegan (it's on YouTube).
    Secondly, make sure you keep your calories up! Carbs up, fat down, that's how you'll lose weight. Surprise surprise, you eat fat, you gain fat, that's how it works. Stick to ABSOLUTE MINIMUM 2000 calories per day. If you're exercising or working, aim for around 2500.

Drink lots of water! At least three litres a day.

Remember you don't need tons and tons of protein, 6% of your daily calories from protein is perfectly enough (that's what's in mothers breast-milk, fun fact). Extra protein will only be excreted and you'll get no energy from it.

Best of luck! Remember you are amazingly awesome and veganism is so so great :)
  • roselemonade
    roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The-ppk.com has a lot of great recipes from my favorite vegan cookbook author, Isa Moskowitz. I like her recipes a lot because they don't use too many unfamiliar/hard-to-find ingredients and she has many really good vegan versions of non-vegan comfort food (mac n cheese, pad thai, shepherd's pie, clam chowder, the list goes on.) The blog Oh She Glows is really popular and has a lot of good ideas, though I don't usually follow the recipes there exactly.
    If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have some good (and cheap) "junk food vegan" options like soy meatballs and several kinds of veggie burger and tofu. They're also a good source for inexpensive hulled hemp seeds, chia seeds, quinoa, and other popular seeds/grains.