lol, mfp calorie count is so off...

124»

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    draznyth wrote: »
    @StrongAsFuarkBear uh yes most of us know the database has a ton of garbage entries

it is up to you to hit the "Nutrition Info" button on a selected entry and verify the stats, or create your own entry if you cannot find an accurate one

maybe spend less time expecting MFP to do all the work for you and put in some of your own time to verify what you put into your body

Strong post.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    no wonder people get stuck on "thyroid issues" here so often,

the calorie and portioning is so off....

Chicken breast- VERIFIED!!!! shows 110cal/100gram of chicken, not only that, but default option that comes up is (1/2 cup diced/minced), lol @ fingers dicing chicken on cutting board. unbeliveable. go by the USDA values at least for SUCH A BASIC item.

edit: real chicken has 164 calories/100gram , skinless, boneless

I don't know what kind of chicken you have but any raw chicken I ever had was 110-120 per 100 grams skinless.

Yep. The package I use says 110 cals for 112g of raw boneless skinless chicken breasts. I mostly use boneless skinless chicken thighs which are 120 cals for 112g - the brand I buy, anyway. Most of the time I verify nutrition info using the package. Whole foods I just grab the MFP official entry, which can usually be identified due to like a dozen different serving size options. Of recent, most of the serving sizes are absolutely useless, like 13ml or something. But that has the added bonus of making the MFP entries easy to spot...

Well sometimes the package is clearly wrong too, which doesn't help.

I bought some shrimp that claimed to be 45 calories for 84g... just not happening.
  • PackerGirl59
    PackerGirl59 Posts: 1 Member
    Agreed!!!
    @StrongAsFuarkBear uh yes most of us know the database has a ton of garbage entries

it is up to you to hit the "Nutrition Info" button on a selected entry and verify the stats, or create your own entry if you cannot find an accurate one

maybe spend less time expecting MFP to do all the work for you and put in some of your own time to verify what you put into your body

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    When I edit an entry to correct it, I add my initials to it as well. That way, the next time I need it from the database, I know which one's right. ;)

OMG I never thought to do that! I correct them too or add in gram weight measurements. There are a few things I've found that are accurate but missing something, like it says "1 cup" but the package says "1 cup (113g)"...I add the gram weight.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    There are plenty of entries with perfectly accurate calories on MFP. Show some gratitude that MFP even exists. It may not be perfect, but I wouldn't want to try to lose weight without it. I LOVE YOU MFP!
  • marcianne98
    marcianne98 Posts: 20 Member
    I log my foods to get an idea of what my caloric intake is. I let the scale determine if I need more or less calories at week's end.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    [quote=
    My biggest pet peeve currently is that the MFP entries seem not to have all the good measurements anymore. I keep finding new "verified" entries for "raspberries-raw" or some such that lack 100 gram options. Luckily most of these are in my frequent foods anyway, but it's annoying.[/quote]

That is one of my few complaints about this site's database too. I also wish the recipe index for those you make yourself can go back to being able to search through it alphabetically. It used to, and now that I have 25 pages of self-made recipes, it wastes a lot of time trying to find a recipe that I haven't made in a while, so it's hidden somewhere back in the list. I'm also noticing that when I type in a recipe's name, one that I KNOW I've made, that no longer comes up in the choices for food, so I must go find it amongst my recipe list and put it in that way. That's something that recently started happening. But, overall, this is a hugely helpful website with numerous helpful and mutually encouraging folks. I'm very grateful to have it, despite the minor annoyances that will hopefully be remedied.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    triciab79 wrote: »
    Chicken can be hard to estimate anyway. They pump water into the chicken to make it weigh more when you purchase it.

This is true for many supermarket options. In this case, I would be more trusting of the nutrition posted on the chicken's packaging than the MFP database or USDA's database. I get my chicken through a company in the USA called Zaycon Fresh, and they are a direct from farmer to consumer company who doesn't add water and (supposedly) treats their birds humanely. This is a growing industry, as another recently began. No, I'm not selling for them, and not even promoting, as I haven't shared my "share us with a friend" link here, just in case someone might think that. I'm just sharing the information. It can be Googled.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    rushfive wrote: »
    I wonder if NO is hit a number of times the entry is removed? ex. no is hit 10times they remove the entry.
    otherwise what is the point of NO.

Let's find out. Someone pick out a ridiculous entry, and let's all go hit "No" a few times.

I always wondered why the "no" was there, too.

idk but sometimes I click it

it's definitely there for clicking. I checked

dialogoptions.png
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    no wonder people get stuck on "thyroid issues" here so often,

the calorie and portioning is so off....

Chicken breast- VERIFIED!!!! shows 110cal/100gram of chicken, not only that, but default option that comes up is (1/2 cup diced/minced), lol @ fingers dicing chicken on cutting board. unbeliveable. go by the USDA values at least for SUCH A BASIC item.

edit: real chicken has 164 calories/100gram , skinless, boneless

I don't know what kind of chicken you have but any raw chicken I ever had was 110-120 per 100 grams skinless.

Yep. The package I use says 110 cals for 112g of raw boneless skinless chicken breasts. I mostly use boneless skinless chicken thighs which are 120 cals for 112g - the brand I buy, anyway. Most of the time I verify nutrition info using the package. Whole foods I just grab the MFP official entry, which can usually be identified due to like a dozen different serving size options. Of recent, most of the serving sizes are absolutely useless, like 13ml or something. But that has the added bonus of making the MFP entries easy to spot...

Well sometimes the package is clearly wrong too, which doesn't help.

I bought some shrimp that claimed to be 45 calories for 84g... just not happening.

For me, not trusting the manufacturer's packaging is just a recipe for making the process more difficult and time consuming than necessary

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    besaro wrote: »

wow, D*#& much?

ux8y8t2xqli8.gif
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Agreed!!!

strong first post :tongue: