Should I limit my bananas?

Options
2»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Whoops they made a big error. So just avoid fruit juices and eat whole fruit.

No, you fell for his deceptive selective quoting. Their conclusion re individual fruits was not affected.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    and yet learned committees come up with 90 grams/day as a limit for total sugar intake, for the general population. Hmm.

Typically ADDED sugar. In fact, the new dietary guidelines are going to have this separated on the nutrition facts of products (in the U.S.)

Also-these recommendations are general and for a specific purpose. I.e. For many people, if they cut down on ADDED sugar, they will reduce overall calories, and probably add more nutrient-dense foods, like fruit, to their diet and improve overall health.

Broad guidelines that are meant to fit as many people as possible in a population as simply as possible.
  • yarwell
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    and yet learned committees come up with 90 grams/day as a limit for total sugar intake, for the general population. Hmm.

Typically ADDED sugar.

No, total. 90g in EU, Aus. 100g proposed for Canada. Total sugars, from all sources.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    OP, it's impossible for us to say whether or not the bananas can fit into your diet because you aren't tracking your total calories/current intake. It may be perfectly fine, it may be too much. We can't possibly know without an idea of what you're actually eating.
  • slaite1
    Options
    I picked an international organization as I only really know about US guidelines, although I doubt Canada and the EU are so drastically different

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

My selective quoting:

"The WHO guideline does not refer to the sugars in fresh fruits and vegetables, and sugars naturally present in milk, because there is no reported evidence of adverse effects of consuming these sugars."
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    lilylenz wrote: »
    (**please keep in mind that I do NOT count calories/track what I eat - my diet is pretty much just clean food and no meat/poultry)

I've read a lot of mixed things about bananas..some say they're great, others say they're too high in sugar, and some say that the sugar is okay because it's natural fruit sugar, blah, blah, blah...

Anyway, I'd just like to know if I should limit how many bananas I eat in a day..I'm constantly running around (i'm a freshman in college who is also balancing a part-time job, so I don't have a lot of time on my hands), so whenever I need something to eat "on the go", I grab a banana. of course, I eat other things - but i usually have 3 - 4 bananas every day...and I was just wondering if that was okay? Should I cut back on my banana consumption due to the amount of sugar in them or should I be fine?

My, this is a strange question...

Thanks and have a great day

haha this is a weird question but I like bananas so here we are

on average (varying by weight of course), they're only about 100 calories each

the sugar content doesn't matter at all unless you are prediabetic or diabetic

tl;dr: enjoy!!
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Just couldn't resist. I LOOOVE Onision.

Onision+banana.jpg
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    As a minion I can honestly tell you that there is nothing wrong with bananas.
  • yarwell
    edited June 2015
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I picked an international organization as I only really know about US guidelines, although I doubt Canada and the EU are so drastically different

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

My selective quoting:

"The WHO guideline does not refer to the sugars in fresh fruits and vegetables, and sugars naturally present in milk, because there is no reported evidence of adverse effects of consuming these sugars."

you're still wrong. The WHO talks of "Free Sugars" and the limit is consequently lower. EU and Aus have RDI numbers on TOTAL sugars. Canada is also proposing Total sugars.

7ix10xe13hpy.png
  • slaite1
    Options
    Just pointing out that their are organizations that do differentiate, including U.S. guidelines. So I would say I am not wrong, particularly as WHO specifically says there is no reported evidence of adverse effects of consuming these (fruit, milk, etc) sugars.

Anyway, sugar has been argued to death, and I do not want to derail further. So long as OP is aware that not everyone thinks sugar is evil.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Just couldn't resist. I LOOOVE Onision.

Onision+banana.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUjZHAv0H3w
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Whoops they made a big error. So just avoid fruit juices and eat whole fruit.

No, you fell for his deceptive selective quoting. Their conclusion re individual fruits was not affected.

F1.large.jpg?width=800&height=600

Total fruit averages to lower your risk of diabetes, so if you eat a variety of fruits and not just cantaloupe and strawberries you'll be fine.