Unsavory Topic but here goes....

Options
2»

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't jump out and call itself Mr. Hankey, you should be okay.

Rofl, Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo!

he loves me and I love you, therefore vicariously he loves you....
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This was just talked about on Jillian Michaels' podcast, the doctor on the show said it was because you have enough (not excess) fiber in your diet. Floaters are good, sinkers are bad..haha!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Could also be a sign of gall bladder or pancreatic problems. Poop floats if there is fat in it,and the fat should have been digested.

Now I'm wondering if the poop of Alli users floats. :laugh:
  • FearOfFrying
    FearOfFrying Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I never paid attention to if it floats,im usally to busy making little statues out of it,doesnt everyone?:laugh:

Thank god, I thought I was the only one, they look great if you varnish them too
  • janece4684
    janece4684 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Turd Man is way to funny
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Does it count if piles up and is above the water? :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, I thought a normal excretion was supposed to be 2-3 feet long, firm, solid, compact.
    There's no way that can all float.:laugh:

I remember someone posting this website. Lots of info, but I can't access it from work.

www.smellypoop.com/facts_about_poop.php
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't jump out and call itself Mr. Hankey, you should be okay.

ha ha !!!!

but yes it is supposed to float!
  • 90poundsoflard
    Options
    Stools - floatingURL of this page: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003128.htm
    .Stools that float are usually due to poor absorption (malabsorption) of nutrients or excessive gas (flatus).

ConsiderationsFloating stools are seen in a variety of different situations. Most are diet-related, or occur during a gastrointestinal infection. A change in diet can lead to an increase in the amount of gas produced by the bacteria found in the (healthy) gastrointestinal tract.

Acute gastrointestinal (GI) infections also can result in increased gas in the intestines, due to rapid movement of food through the GI tract. One wrong idea is that floating stools are caused by an increase in the fat content of the stool. In fact, it is increased gas in the stool that makes it less dense and allows it to float.

Increased levels of nutrients in the stool that have not been absorbed by the GI tract supply the normal bacteria that live in the gut. These bacteria, in turn, produce more gas. This results in more gas-rich stools that float.

CausesDietary changes, diarrhea, and malabsorption can cause floating stools. Most causes are harmless and the floating stools will go away by themselves when the infection ends or the normal bacteria in the GI tract adjust to the changes in the diet.

Home CareFloating stools alone do not indicate an illness or problem, and they do not require home care. If a change in diet has caused problems, try to find and eliminate the offending food.

When to Contact a Medical ProfessionalIt is important to discuss a change in stool characteristics with a doctor if it continues for more than a couple of weeks. If blood, fever, or dizziness accompanies these changes, consult a doctor immediately.

What to Expect at Your Office VisitA health care provider will normally take a family history and disease history, and will perform a physical examination.

A stool sample and blood tests may be requested. In most cases, however, these tests will not be needed.
  • nurse_carolyn
    nurse_carolyn Posts: 348
    Options
    mrhanky.gif

omg...you crack me up !!
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    mrhanky.gif

omg...you crack me up !!

OMG...is that a floating poop? LOL...
  • hummzz
    Options
    I never paid attention to if it floats,im usally to busy making little statues out of it,doesnt everyone?:laugh:

LOL...way too funny!
  • hummzz
    Options
    Its because of excess fiber in your diet. Fiber floats!

I've heard both - there's the thought your doo doo floats when you eat an excess amount of fat OR when you eat a lot of fiber. I've also heard that it can float if you have high blood glucose levels (like Type 2 diabetes). idk - as long as you're eating healthy and you feel fine...prolly not a big deal.

Thanks! I think in my case its fiber. I often go over on my fiber. Not doing much fat and glucose is all good! But something to thing about.
  • hummzz
    Options
    This was just talked about on Jillian Michaels' podcast, the doctor on the show said it was because you have enough (not excess) fiber in your diet. Floaters are good, sinkers are bad..haha!

Excellent! So I'm doing the right thing and hope they keep floating! LOL
  • hummzz
    Options
    Stools - floatingURL of this page: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003128.htm
    .Stools that float are usually due to poor absorption (malabsorption) of nutrients or excessive gas (flatus).

ConsiderationsFloating stools are seen in a variety of different situations. Most are diet-related, or occur during a gastrointestinal infection. A change in diet can lead to an increase in the amount of gas produced by the bacteria found in the (healthy) gastrointestinal tract.

Acute gastrointestinal (GI) infections also can result in increased gas in the intestines, due to rapid movement of food through the GI tract. One wrong idea is that floating stools are caused by an increase in the fat content of the stool. In fact, it is increased gas in the stool that makes it less dense and allows it to float.

Excellent!

Increased levels of nutrients in the stool that have not been absorbed by the GI tract supply the normal bacteria that live in the gut. These bacteria, in turn, produce more gas. This results in more gas-rich stools that float.

CausesDietary changes, diarrhea, and malabsorption can cause floating stools. Most causes are harmless and the floating stools will go away by themselves when the infection ends or the normal bacteria in the GI tract adjust to the changes in the diet.

Home CareFloating stools alone do not indicate an illness or problem, and they do not require home care. If a change in diet has caused problems, try to find and eliminate the offending food.

When to Contact a Medical ProfessionalIt is important to discuss a change in stool characteristics with a doctor if it continues for more than a couple of weeks. If blood, fever, or dizziness accompanies these changes, consult a doctor immediately.

What to Expect at Your Office VisitA health care provider will normally take a family history and disease history, and will perform a physical examination.

A stool sample and blood tests may be requested. In most cases, however, these tests will not be needed.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    But, if your poop consistently floats, there's a chance you might have a malabsorption problem - a dysfunction of the GI tract that affects the body's ability to digest and absorb fat. Acute gastrointestinal infections can also result in increased gas content in the intestines, due to rapid movement of stool through the GI tract. Or, possibly cystic fibrosis, celiac disease, biliary atresia, abetalipoprotenimia could be responsible - all of which cause too much fat to end up in the stool, and all of which require medical attention.

So take all things in moderation - including your quest for floaters. Increase your dietary fiber, decrease the fat, and do get an annual physical exam that includes a colon checkup. Then sit back and relax - on the throne!
  • hummzz
    Options
    But, if your poop consistently floats, there's a chance you might have a malabsorption problem - a dysfunction of the GI tract that affects the body's ability to digest and absorb fat. Acute gastrointestinal infections can also result in increased gas content in the intestines, due to rapid movement of stool through the GI tract. Or, possibly cystic fibrosis, celiac disease, biliary atresia, abetalipoprotenimia could be responsible - all of which cause too much fat to end up in the stool, and all of which require medical attention.

So take all things in moderation - including your quest for floaters. Increase your dietary fiber, decrease the fat, and do get an annual physical exam that includes a colon checkup. Then sit back and relax - on the throne!

Thanks for all the info. I don't have them everyday but a lot of the days. I have been really gassy lately but I believe its because I've increased my fiber intake. I am under a physicians care so my next visit I will mention it to her and go from there. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked at how many people seem to not know who Mr. Hankey is...
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Your poop should sink slowly, if it floats, may be too much fat.:smile:
  • hummzz
    Options
    Your poop should sink slowly, if it floats, may be too much fat.:smile:

It can't be fat because I'm intaking much fat at all and this has only happened since I started doing this. I think its the fiber thing most said. When I was eating a lot of fat it sank. So I'm not sure. Just wanted to know what it 'could' be and if anyone else experienced it. I'm not concerned about it really since I'm regular and I look and feel good!