Daily Fat Percentage (?)

Options
Oh no!! my daily nutrition wheel shows 48% fat. Only 15% protein.

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    As long as you consumed 46 grams of protein you don't have to be concerned. (Daily protein requirement of a sedentary woman)
    It just means that 48% of your calories came from fat. If you are eating in a deficit you won't gain weight regardles of where the calories came from.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I keep mine at 45 carb, 30 protein and 25 fat give or take a gram here and there. It works for me.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    You might be interested to hear the new USA dietary fat guidelines, you can listen to them here ahead of publication in JAMA next week:
    http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/f/b/8/fb8fbe0fa2bd5839/US_Dietary_Guidelines_and_Lifting_the_Total_Dietary_Fat_Ban.mp3?c_id=9260580&expiration=1435497260&hwt=240c632b0336f1a08c38bdf5115160e4
  • rozalie13
    rozalie13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I keep mine at 80% carbs, less than 10% fat and less than 10% protein. It's working great I'm steadily losing weight and gaining energy.
    You eat fat, you gain fat. It's not rocket science :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rozalie13 wrote: »
    I keep mine at 80% carbs, less than 10% fat and less than 10% protein. It's working great I'm steadily losing weight and gaining energy.

Fat does not make you fat.

Excess calories make you fat.
    It does not matter where they come from, fat, carbs, protein.

Yes, this.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options

No... just no. You don't need rocket science, you need some common sense.

Dietary Fat Guidelines: a minimum of 0.40 - 0.45 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight (unless obese)

Protein Guidelines: 0.60-0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight is the upper range for new muscle synthesis.

Fill in the rest of your calories with nutritious and/or high fiber carbs.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Science tells us that if you eat carbs you store fat. Carbs are preferentially oxidised and stored, gotta get that stuff out of the bloodstream.

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options

Yeah, don't repeat that. It isn't true.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein and am consistently losing a pound per week despite almost always going over my fat.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

:smiley: You've got some reading to do. A lot of reading. LOLZ
  • SweetNewMee
    SweetNewMee Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Fat does not make you fat.

Excess calories make you fat.
    It does not matter where they come from, fat, carbs, protein.

I agree! Fat does not make you FAT.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Apparently to some, it is.
    It's you

Fat does not make you fat. Excess calories, in any form, makes you fat.

OP: if you're just starting to track your macros (fat, carbs, protein) - pick one (my recommendation is protein) and focus on meeting or exceeding that goal, every day. After you've got a handle on that, pick another (again, my opinion is fat). Then worry about the final one.

Baby steps. :)
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    45% fat, 35% protein, 20% carbs (mostly in vegetable form) for me. This is what I try to do on training days Monday through Friday. Weekends when I only do yoga is a lot more lenient. Works for me, and is approved by my doctor. Everyone is different though.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

If eating fat makes you fat, then why am I not obese? My eating plan is high fat and low carb. And yet here I am, at a healthy weight. Don't give out false information please
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

Um No, I cannot believe people still think this. Did we take a DeLorean back to 1985?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh no!! my daily nutrition wheel shows 48% fat. Only 15% protein.

There's good evidence of longterm healthiness of diets that range from 10% to 35% fat, with a preference for less saturated fats. You'll need anywhere from 40 to 120g of protein as a woman, depending on your size.

I try to stay around 40g a fat (which is about 30% DV). If I hit AT LEAST 35, I'm not hungry. I tend to be low on everything but carbs by default. :)

Other than that, what you eat on a weekly, not daily, basis makes a bigger difference.
  • BJG7_UK
    BJG7_UK Posts: 61 Member
    Options

That not the best advice, you need fat to help hormone function..