Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Can only eat small portions

I do not have a weight problem and only joined MFP to make sure I'm eating a healthy diet. That being said, I have been trying to eat well-rounded meals, but am really struggling with it because I keep losing my appetite, and I get full quickly. For instance, I tried to eat two very small Seitan sausages with a medium-sized apple and a few blueberries for breakfast, but couldn't finish the fruit and felt way too full after I ate. I also go through periods where food I usually like or can tolerate makes me literally gag.

Does anybody else have this problem? Do you really need 100% of every mineral and vitamin every day or so many servings of fruit and vegetables? When I eat mainly fruits and vegetables, my protein is always too low on those days.

Oh, and my energy level is usually pretty good despite all my weird food issues.

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 674 Member
    Can you graze throughout the day? I prepare small meals to sit down and eat, but I always have a big bowl of fruit sitting next to me at the computer for when the mood hits. I just had a small corn tortilla with mayo and hemp tofu (blech--do not recommend unless you like really bad meatloaf flavored non-meat), and I prepped a bowl of fresh pineapple and strawberries. This way, I don't have to prepare a snack when I'm hungry again. Plus, fresh cut pineapple and June strawberries are pretty irresistible.

You shouldn't need to get 100% of micro-nutrients every day as long as you are eating a big enough variety of a healthy amount of food.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Are you getting enough calories? Are you underweight? If not, then I wouldn't worry about eating well-rounded meals, as long as you're snacking well enough to make up for it. I can't eat any breakfast at all--maybe don't force yourself to eat that much.

I worry about macros before I worry about micros. And bear in mind that a serving of fruits or vegetables isn't necessarily one. A four-ounce apple is 1.33 servings.

I agree with the previous poster that you don't have to get 100% of every micro every day. Just make sure you're making up for the deficiency the next day. Take a multivitamin if it's that important to you.

But you might want to discuss your inability to tolerate food with someone, especially if it occurs more in stressful periods of your life.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I do not have a weight problem and only joined MFP to make sure I'm eating a healthy diet. That being said, I have been trying to eat well-rounded meals, but am really struggling with it because I keep losing my appetite, and I get full quickly. For instance, I tried to eat two very small Seitan sausages with a medium-sized apple and a few blueberries for breakfast, but couldn't finish the fruit and felt way too full after I ate. I also go through periods where food I usually like or can tolerate makes me literally gag.

Does anybody else have this problem? Do you really need 100% of every mineral and vitamin every day or so many servings of fruit and vegetables? When I eat mainly fruits and vegetables, my protein is always too low on those days.

Oh, and my energy level is usually pretty good despite all my weird food issues.
    Focus on protein. If you do not like well-rounded meals, eat snacks through out the day.
  • thepinkbananabanana
    thepinkbananabanana Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks for the responses. So if I eat an apple and orange, is that enough fruit for the day? What about two cups of greens for vegetables?

Most days I get enough calories, but when I go through periods where I lose my appetite, I tend to eat go under what I should eat. However, I'm not underweight. I do graze, but I wish I didn't have to because it's easier to stop and eat three times a day than it is to stop and eat six times a day. I will start worrying about macros more than micros since those are more important.

It's not an emotional thing, so it's not stress that is causing me to lose my appetite. I'm wondering if it might be hormonal-related. I won't get into details about my period to spare any men who have delicate sensibilities, though. ;)

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Thanks for the responses. So if I eat an apple and orange, is that enough fruit for the day? What about two cups of greens for vegetables?

Most days I get enough calories, but when I go through periods where I lose my appetite, I tend to eat go under what I should eat. However, I'm not underweight. I do graze, but I wish I didn't have to because it's easier to stop and eat three times a day than it is to stop and eat six times a day. I will start worrying about macros more than micros since those are more important.

It's not an emotional thing, so it's not stress that is causing me to lose my appetite. I'm wondering if it might be hormonal-related. I won't get into details about my period to spare any men who have delicate sensibilities, though. ;)

2 servings of fruit meets ALL your needs for fruit in a day, easily.

2 cups of greens is very, very close for veg.

Calories are more important than what's in them. Flour is fortified, and so is milk, so if you get enough flour/milk, you'll generally not develop nutritional deficiencies that are terribly important.

If it's tummy troubles having to do with the time of month, you can honestly fast for a day or two and be fine. There's a period of 12 to 24 hours each month where I can't eat for that reason.

If it's longer than that--like if you have PCOS and are bleeding nonstop and are sick to your stomach because of that--you should see a Dr. to get the right hormonal birth control dosage to get it stopped.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015

I've been having the same problem ever since I reached and dropped below my goal weight very recently. This whole struggling with food only happened the past few days and its pissing me off. Is this an underweight thing?

I used to enjoy my food and enjoy looking forward to food SO MUCH and I absolutely hate it because I love looking at yummy foods.

Just can't find the motivation or interest to eat and have been having trouble reaching even my basic calorie limit.

I was trying to hype myself up by telling myself "Remember how you wanted to lose 1-2kg JUST SO YOU CAN HAVE A BINGE FEST OF CHIPS, COOKIES, CHOCOLATES AND ICE CREAM that one time!! It used to really excite and hype me up to motivating me to lose weight so I can indulge just that once (or twice lol) but now its like I say that to myself and I'm like almost meh.

I get flashes of inspiration but it dies out so quickly. Last weekend I tried to resolve this by forcing myself to eat a kebab plate (ate the whole thing haha) despite being SO FULL BY THE THIRD BITE and I had a stomach upset for 2 days. The next day I told myself ok I can't put myself through such binges as I started out my weight loss journey with overeating as THE problem so I can't do that to myself - had a small piece of toast, avo, peas, with grilled tomato and mushrooms, then ate 4 mini tarts with coffee. Could not eat the entire day. Still full this morning.

Like honestly this phase is absolute BS. I'm a foodie and I love my food dammit. :(