Low Carb Diet? :D

Options
Hey i just wanted to know what foods i should eat for a low carb diet. I am venturing into low carbs but i wanted to know how i can make the food i eat exciting cause i like to try things out. :)

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you are going low carb?

You still need to be in a calorie deficit, just low carb is not enough to lose weight.
  • marymensah24
    marymensah24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i am going low carb to help with pcos i wanted to try it out
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Just an FYI that there's no reason to eat low-carb unless you have a medical condition that benefits from eating a low-carb diet. <---- (Ignore this… I just saw you have PCOS)

If you want to eat low-carb for the heck of it… by all means… but it isn't all that enjoyable.

For a low carb diet, you will need to cut out carb-heavy foods like bread, pasta, crackers, chips, cookies, muffins, bagels, etc.

You'll want to stick to non-starchy vegetables (asparagus, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, romaine, arugula, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers). Berries are the best option for fruits because they have the fewest carbs.

Protein and fats will be an essential part of your diet.
  • marymensah24
    Options
    Thanks for the tips i appreciate it i was thinking of cutting down my carbs cause idk if i can completely cut some of these things out.
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    MissElectricEyeliner Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I couldn't handle the low carb and quit. The idea is that you eat the majority of your carbs (20g - 50g) in vegetables. Meat is low in carbs (or contains no carbs) and calories so it is a good food for weight loss since it fills you up. In the end low carb = low calorie.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips i appreciate it i was thinking of cutting down my carbs cause idk if i can completely cut some of these things out.

I have hyperinsulinemia, hypoglycemia, insulin resistance, and PCOS. I'm supposed to eat a low-carb diet. However, I have found it extremely difficult to do.

What's more important for individuals with metabolic conditions is the type of carbohydrates we consume. For us, eating 175 grams of carbs from lentils, beans, fruit, vegetables, nuts, nut butters, etc. is better than eating 175 grams from candy, cookies, bagels, and juice. Of course you can eat those foods, but you want to make sure you are eating them occasionally and that they don't make up a majority of your diet.
  • marymensah24
    Options
    I couldn't handle the low carb and quit. The idea is that you eat the majority of your carbs (20g - 50g) in vegetables. Meat is low in carbs (or contains no carbs) and calories so it is a good food for weight loss since it fills you up. In the end low carb = low calorie.

Thank you for your honesty :#
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I try to limit my carbs to about 100 grams a day and find that works well for me to deal with my PCOS but have room in my carb count so I can eat sweet potato, carrots, a slice of weight watchers bread, beans etc.
  • marymensah24
    Options

I have hyperinsulinemia, hypoglycemia, insulin resistance, and PCOS. I'm supposed to eat a low-carb diet. However, I have found it extremely difficult to do.

What's more important for individuals with metabolic conditions is the type of carbohydrates we consume. For us, eating 175 grams of carbs from lentils, beans, fruit, vegetables, nuts, nut butters, etc. is better than eating 175 grams from candy, cookies, bagels, and juice. Of course you can eat those foods, but you want to make sure you are eating them occasionally and that they don't make up a majority of your diet.

Thank you so much for your help i wanted to know about insulin resistance because i heard people with pcos have that can you explain more.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yep low carb = pretty much non starchy veggies (eg broccoli, spinach etc etc) , meat of any kind (careful with bacon and ham as these may have added carbs), cheese, cream, etc. Milk is generally not a great idea as it has about 11g of carbs per cup.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Have you been diagnosed with pcos?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm at 20g max per day by choice not because of any health issues. I feel amazing and am in complete control of my hunger.
    If you're doing low carb you will need to increase healthy fat. Typically, coconut oil, real butter, heavy cream, fatty meats, nuts and avocado are great ways to get enough fat. My macros are 5% carb 25% protein and 70% fat.
    I never have carb or sugar cravings anymore and don't struggle with feeling hungry.
    The key to control is enough fat intake. And you will need it for energy.
    Obviously, you don't need to be as lc as the example I gave. Just decide what your carb goal is, figure out how much protein is healthy for preserving muscle for you then fill the rest of your calories with healthy fats.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The good thing about low carbing is getting to cook with fat.... And add fat. Everything tastes better cooked in fat (imo!) :p
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I eat what is considered low carb - about 75 to 100 grams or so a day, but that is pretty high to some who follow very low carb diets or keto diets. How many carbs are you trying to stick to?

If you plan on sticking to 75 - 150 grams there are some good recipes at
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/special-diets/low-carb/main.aspx

If you plan on doing very low or keto there are good recipes at
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes