Anyone make their own yogurt?

Options

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Be sure to check your crockpot manual for temperatures for each setting. For instance, mine has four: High, Low, Simmer, Warm.

Warm, which is the lowest is 165F which is too high for yogurt. If you find your results don't set or it's too tart, but you love the crockpot method, try putting the yogurt in a ceramic basin set in water.

Like I said, depends on your crockpot.

To the person who wondered about the safety of homemade yogurt, like any food preparation, as long as you use clean utensils & pot there should be no problem. Once the yogurt is set and put in the fridge it's as safe as store bought yogurt.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    In my experience, starter from commercial yogurt doesn't tend to have very good consistency (ie pretty runny) and has a fairly bland flavor. I much prefer a good powder starter. I also like single cup batches rather than a whole pot batch, but that's just because it makes portions simpler and easy to grab.

I saved a bunch of cups and lids from when we used to buy yogurt for the kids, and I thought I'd use them so I could just grab a cup. But I don't like to do it that way. It's an option, but it was just more hassle for me. Then again, I'm home all day, so I don't have a need for it to be portable. If you're taking it to work or something, it would be nice to have.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Do you use a machine or make it manually? What kind of machine do you use? Do you like the single batch jars or one large batch type machine? I'm thinking about making my own yogurt and I'm just looking for some feedback. Thanks.

Yes, I make up to 2 quarts at a time in this yogurt maker........... I also use Raw Milk straight from the farmer. I use greek yogurt for my starter too with the raw milk.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/large-electric-yogurt-maker?utm_source=frooglecom&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=shopping
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.

I make my own kefir from a starter that a friend gave me. It is kind of like yogurt but runnier. I love to make smoothies out of it as the fruit sweetens it up some and makes it taste yummy. Supposed to have amazing health benefits and the starter will survive forever as long as it is cared for properly. A quick google search will give you lots of info.
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    In my experience, starter from commercial yogurt doesn't tend to have very good consistency (ie pretty runny) and has a fairly bland flavor. I much prefer a good powder starter. I also like single cup batches rather than a whole pot batch, but that's just because it makes portions simpler and easy to grab.

What I've started doing to thicken up my homemade yogurt is to add 1/4 cup of powdered skim milk with my starter. And then when it's all done, I line a big colander with coffee filters and then put it over a bowl that keeps the colander lifted up high enough for the whey to strain properly. I just leave that in our spare refridgerator for several hours. What I get from that is a thickened yogurt that I'm told is similar to greek yogurt. HTH! :)
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm so glad that you asked this! My husband and I were just talking about making our own yogurt last night. Thanks to everyone for the info!
  • Nemlein
    Nemlein Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used to make mine in a yogurt maker (using skim milk + powdered milk) but I prefer my yogurt really thick and the time invested in making it plus straining it for such a small amount of end product just wasn't worth it for me. Seemed like I was making yogurt every other day. :tongue: I went back to store-bought yogurt.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ooooooo - BUMP for later. This sounds pretty interesting...and my kids love yogurt
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Be sure to check your crockpot manual for temperatures for each setting. For instance, mine has four: High, Low, Simmer, Warm.

Warm, which is the lowest is 165F which is too high for yogurt. If you find your results don't set or it's too tart, but you love the crockpot method, try putting the yogurt in a ceramic basin set in water.

To the person who wondered about the safety of homemade yogurt, like any food preparation, as long as you use clean utensils & pot there should be no problem. Once the yogurt is set and put in the fridge it's as safe as store bought yogurt.

Why is 165F too high? I'm confused because some sites say 170F, one says 185F. Which is right. Bacteria in milk is killed at 185F but if you're using pasteurized milk (I know, pasteurized milk is bad for you too) why would you need 185F?

When 2.5 hours were up, I checked the temp and it was 173F. Will continue and hope I don't die. BTW, I usually treat my milk with a 2% solution of hydrogen peroxide. It kills bacteria and milk will last for weeks. They do this in Europe where milk isn't refrigerated and have done so for years, or thats what I was told once. Any europeans care to weigh in on this.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • ccbloom1
    ccbloom1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    And if you do strain, keep the whey! You can bake with it. Wherever it calls for milk, use the whey instead! :)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have a yogurt maker someone gave me as a gift. Sadly I have never used it. Might make that a summer project
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Bought the book 'wild fermentation' recently. I make yoghurt using a wide mouth thermos - just keep it wrapped up, and my first batch I had to reheat a little to get it to go.

I used raw milk, with a live Greek yoghurt to start. I just scalded the milk and let it cool, I didn't use a thermometer, but if you can hold your finger comfortably in the milk and it is nice and warm then it is the right temperature.

And that was it. Heating the milk makes it thicker, but the taste was lovely and clean, smooth and not too tart.

I want to get some kefir grains next.... Although the elderflower wine is my more immediate mission!!!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Why is 165F too high? I'm confused because some sites say 170F, one says 185F. Which is right. Bacteria in milk is killed at 185F but if you're using pasteurized milk (I know, pasteurized milk is bad for you too) why would you need 185F?

When 2.5 hours were up, I checked the temp and it was 173F. Will continue and hope I don't die. BTW, I usually treat my milk with a 2% solution of hydrogen peroxide. It kills bacteria and milk will last for weeks. They do this in Europe where milk isn't refrigerated and have done so for years, or thats what I was told once. Any europeans care to weigh in on this.

Scalding takes place at around 180F and serves three purposes: it kills harmful bacteria that may spoil the food being prepared, it destroys enzymes that may affect the way the milk performs in the recipe, and it raises the temperature of the milk to speed up results. In yogurt preparation, scalding alters the structure of the protein in the milk in such a way that it causes less whey and a firmer product. Pasteurization done prior to sale in a store just kills bacteria to acceptable government limits--it doesn't kill it all.

The milk then needs to be cooled to a temperature that will allow the culture to grow--too hot or too cold and your yogurt will not set properly.

As for using H2O2 for milk preservation, I can't comment--sounds interesting.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I make my own yogurt in the crockpot too :)
  • tiaydew
    tiaydew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump! I didn't even know you can make your own yogurt! I so want to try now too. I made greek yogurt using regular yogurt and although it was thick I did not like the taste so it must be the brand of yogurt that I bought.
  • raeanns
    raeanns Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Has anyone made their own soy yogurt? I bought a machine and have tried several times. It's too tart. Anyone else try making soy yogurt?
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I Use the Easiyo Yoghurt Maker... and sachets.... its sooooo simple.... :flowerforyou:

http://www.easiyo.com/index.html
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    OK, here's how it is working.
    1/2 gallon of 2% milk. Heat to 185F stirring constantly (use double boiler if possible). Cool to 120F in ice water bath. Take out 2 cups of warm milk and add 1 cup fat free plain greek style yogurt (at room temp) and 3/4 cup powdered milk. Mix gently and pour back into the rest of the milk. Put into crock pot that has been pre-warmed. Unplug crock pot and set it on a heating pad set to low. By this time the milk is at 110F (the perfect temp). Put lid on the crock pot and wrap in heavy bath towels. 8 hours later you have a thick greek style yogurt. I drain the whey with a jelly straining stand/cloth bag. This makes 32 oz of fantastic yogurt.