Vitamins recommendation please

Options
sandee07
sandee07 Posts: 20 Member
hello,
I'm a pretty healthy 36 yr old female who's trying to drop about 15-20lbs but also wants to start taking vitamins, can anyone recommend a good multi-vitamin for someone my age please? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Age and gender have very little to do with it.

Correcting your diet would be the first point of action. For some insurance, look to a quality multivitamin with good sources and amounts such as AOR Orthocore, Controlled Labs Orange Triad, or Source Naturals Life Force, or Bodybuilding.com Foundation Series.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ^That site recommends GNC (one of the most money hungry, slap in the face to the consumer companies ever) and NOW (repeatedly criticized for poor quality ingredients and false vitamin amounts). One a day??? Are you kidding me? Other than that, they seem to be heavy on the hipster, organic trend and they don't include some of the best multi's out there.

I wouldn't trust that source... even if they recommend 2 out of 4 of my recommendations highly. The Carlson Super Multi has all the wrong amounts and they don't list the sources for those micronutrients, even though Carlson makes one of the best fish oils out there.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Centrum for Women. :)
  • wickedpursuit
    wickedpursuit Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Why can't you get all the nutrients you need from the food you eat? I'd look there first before shelling out for a multivitamin that may or may not actually be worth the money.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    errr just have a normal varied balanced diet with 5 fruit and veg plus some lean protein, then you wont need any.
  • sandee07
    sandee07 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I just thought that at my age taking some sort of vitamins was a must, looks like I was wrong! I don't think I get it all thru my food so I may still look into something. I've been tired lately and everyone keeps telling me it must be my iron is low... I plan to get blood work done soon too.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am on a plan with a registered dietician at the local hospital. She recommends Flinstones Complete - it has everything you need.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    sandee07 wrote: »
    Thanks all, I just thought that at my age taking some sort of vitamins was a must, looks like I was wrong! I don't think I get it all thru my food so I may still look into something. I've been tired lately and everyone keeps telling me it must be my iron is low... I plan to get blood work done soon too.
    The vast majority of Americans don't get everything they need from their food. Walk up to 100 random people and ask them how much copper they ate yesterday and you'll get 100 "I don't know"s. Maybe 99.

While it can be done, it's not easy and it takes a lot of time to fix. Just look how difficult it is for people to balance macros! Micros are much more work.

With the vitamin, I get what I need. I'm working on being able to eat them all so I don't have to take it (one less pill and who wants to pay for it when they can eat it?), but I'm not sure I'll ever stop the vitamins.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    ^That site recommends GNC (one of the most money hungry, slap in the face to the consumer companies ever) and NOW (repeatedly criticized for poor quality ingredients and false vitamin amounts). One a day??? Are you kidding me? Other than that, they seem to be heavy on the hipster, organic trend and they don't include some of the best multi's out there.

I wouldn't trust that source... even if they recommend 2 out of 4 of my recommendations highly. The Carlson Super Multi has all the wrong amounts and they don't list the sources for those micronutrients, even though Carlson makes one of the best fish oils out there.

You sound pretty biased. This site is based on non-biased lab results. I'm sure any of the top rated vitamins would be better than what you recommend. I'd recommend Alive or Rainbow Light although I'm currently taking Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men.

Also it has been shown that practically no one gets all 100% of their daily micros without some supplementation. It's just not realistic that you are going to get all of your zinc, magnesium, vitamin e, etc. from foods.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Why can't you get all the nutrients you need from the food you eat? I'd look there first before shelling out for a multivitamin that may or may not actually be worth the money.

I do disagree, quite a lot. Usually on a weight loss journey, a multivitamin would be the very first of supplements for a person. When a person is eating at a deficit, it is usually difficult to get in all the necessary vitamins and minerals the body needs, this in conjunction with more strain on the nervous system from exercise will most likely cause a person to become sick.

When on a weight-loss regime, I personally rely on 1 or sometimes 2 multi vitamin tablets a day, because I know the intensity at which I train is so strenuous on my CNS.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Good plan.

Vitamins are useless unless you have an actual deficiency.

Vast amounts of money are sent down the drain from the vitamin industry, selling people things they don't need and preying on people's wish for an easy fix and their lazy attitude to nutrition.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Vitamins are useless unless you have an actual deficiency.
    Not true at all and that's horrible advice. Sometimes the first sign of deficiency is disease.
    Orphia wrote: »
    Vast amounts of money are sent down the drain from the vitamin industry, selling people things they don't need and preying on people's wish for an easy fix and their lazy attitude to nutrition.
    You don't eat that well yourself and may be lacking key nutrients.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

You sound pretty biased. This site is based on non-biased lab results. I'm sure any of the top rated vitamins would be better than what you recommend. I'd recommend Alive or Rainbow Light although I'm currently taking Optimum Nutrition Opti-Men.

Also it has been shown that practically no one gets all 100% of their daily micros without some supplementation. It's just not realistic that you are going to get all of your zinc, magnesium, vitamin e, etc. from foods.

I don't think so. I would advise doing some more reading on the topic instead of relying on a single source, with a hidden agenda and investor driven marketing via a magazine.

LabDoor's metrics are also quite whacky. Carlson is rated a solid A, yet they use magnesium oxide and cyanocobalamin, an inactive form of B6, underdosed on Vitamin D3, and overdosed on Vit A, E, Selenium, and Folate... which can be quite dangerous over time.

Optimen is overdosed on Vit A, E, B1, Folate, Selenium, and Manganese. They use poor forms of B12, Vit K, Magnesium, and Zinc. They are underdosed on Vitamin D3,

Here is a good read: http://www.aor.ca/assets/Research/pdf/fall_2005_article1.pdf

Instead of relying on LabDoor, here is an example of a good 3rd party tester: Consumer Lab - https://www.consumerlab.com/
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    hello,
    I'm a pretty healthy 36 yr old female who's trying to drop about 15-20lbs but also wants to start taking vitamins, can anyone recommend a good multi-vitamin for someone my age please? Thank you in advance.

Just take Women's one a day and some fish oil.

That's all you need. You can check to see if X brand has chlorophorostabletsdontgievashit, or if Y brand has magictomakeyourboobsbigger, but in reality, it's all minuscule differences, unless it's doctor provided / recommended, PERIOD.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I take flinstones too. They're my favorite. Kind of is a waste I bet. But they taste good at least. The most important suppliments is omega 3s as they are so hard to get in diet. But I never take them.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need vitamins? Have your physician run your blood work and then he will tell you exactly what vitamins you need or not.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about iron you could simply take an iron supplement. Not all vitamins even contain iron. I started taking a multivitamin at the advice of my doctor but I need one that is easy to digest because of a gastrointestinal disorder (the reason for the vitamin). So I looked to gummies rather than a solid, coated pill I'd probably never digest. Turns out that even the "women's" gummy vitamins don't have iron in them so I take a separate low-dose iron supplement.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Consider having your Vitamin D tested as well - many people are deficient in this.

I have anemia and do get extremely fatigued when my anemia is untreated, which also occurs when I'm taking a cheap form of iron that is not well absorbed.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    hockey7fan wrote: »
    I am on a plan with a registered dietician at the local hospital. She recommends Flinstones Complete - it has everything you need.

The problem with these "complete" vitamins is that they just contain enough to prevent deficiency diseases per the RDA - the amount of vitamin C in Flinstones Complete will prevent scurvy, but 60 mg is not enough for optimal health. I take vitamin c to bowel tolerance, which for me when I'm healthy is 3,560 mg, or 1 t of my powdered vitamin C. (I'll absorb more before hitting bowel tolerance when I take it when I feel like I'm coming down with a cold.)