I need help with food.....

Options
I am pregnant an already having super sensitve taste. This morning was the actuall first morning sickness day....:sick:
With that be said I can only seem to stomach fatty starchy foods. I honestly have tried to eat healthier types of food and I find myself gagging on them. I never been that much of a hardcore food junkie. I loved eating all types of foods. More of a foodie.

I am very worried that I am going to ballon up with this pregnancy and become very unhealthy and I don't want to become additecd to these types of unhealhy foods.

So if anyone could maybe give me some food ideas that would help??? :flowerforyou: I would really appeciate it and so would the baby.

Replies

• lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ok, you want fattier foods because you need those kinds of things for the pregnancy. Just remember that health is OT about deprivation, but about BALANCE!
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    try not to worry...bubble along with the flow and just enjoy your pregnacy!! It will soon even out and if not you can eat well later..like when you're 50!!! lol I've had four darlings and JUST ENJOY!!:heart:
    What about roasting some vegies in olive oil spray??? A little bit fatty and starchy but maybe healthier than junk food. Try not to subconsciencly use the bub as an excuse.:blushing:
    All the very best and love the baby progress chart!!
  • maxymom
    maxymom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :flowerforyou:
    The important thing is never to let you stomach get all the way empty. Lots of small meals are the best. Good old saltine crackers are the best to keep a little cushion in there. But if you start getting headaches, it's due to needing protein. I used eat a small serving of tuna in the afternoon, and it stopped the early evening headache. My obgyn gave me this advice (many years ago) and it still holds true. Also try taking your vitamins at bedtime. Trying to swallow anything big first thing in the morning is just asking for trouble. Good luck!
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have had that feeling when regnant too. I craved Sunny D (which I normally hate) and French Vanilla Cappucino with my last pregnancy. And Chips and Fries. And Colby Jack cheese. WEIRD.

I also liked cold things like slushies. How about a smoothie? I could stomach these....

equal amounts of some kind of milk (i used vanilla rice milk) and orange juice and vanilla yogurt. I would add part of a banana (great if you can freeze some chunks ahead of time) and some frozen berries or peaches. You could use another kind of juice or plain or fruit yogurt too.
    I would add a small scoop of powdered "Fabulous Fiber" that I got at the health food store (made by Lewis Laboratories International, Ltd.). It is fruit and vegetable fiber and it will thicken your shake and add additional nutrition and fiber! (all good!)

Also, how about some soup, like cream of cauliflower or broccoli? Simmer the veggies in broth, add some cheese and lowfat milk and blend it up. Iusually throw in some carrots or celery pieces too.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Agree with maxymom. Saltines rock when you are prenant. Also, I found if I kept up with my protein, the morning (and afternoon.....and night.......and middle of the night) sickness wouldn't be as bad. Check with your doc on the tuna though. My doc wanted me to limit it as the mercury levels. Everybody and every doc is different. Good luck!!!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    when my friend was pregnant she lived off ginger snaps and ginger tea to calm her stomach.
  • 30downmama11
    Options
    m
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    Thanks ladies.:happy:

Going to the store afterwhile and going to get me some whole grain saltiens. Also going to do the smoothie thing as well. Maybe it would be better if I just sipped on them instead of trying to eat my normal oatmeal or eggs.

Also soup is a very good idea as well. I appreciate all this help. Sometimes I can be clueless and just say screw it but in all honesty I don't want to become HUGE!!

I have spoken with a nutrionist and she said make sure I am getting plenty of folic acids and iron. So I think it's best if I try to take my vitamins after dinner.

Thanks again for all the advice
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    From someone who threw up every single day (usually more then once) for 9 months for 3 pregnancies....Eat what you can. If you can stomach those foods, then eat them. If you are trying to eat better but you are gagging and throwing up what you are eating, that isn't doing anything for your baby either. Hopefully once you hit the second trimester the morning sickness will get better for you and you will be able to switch back to a normal balanced diet.

If it makes you feel any better, my first pregnancy the only thing that settled my stomach was salt and vinegar chips, baby #2 needed cold sugar free, caffeine free diet pepsi and sour candies (and if i even thought about chicken I had to run to the bathroom), and baby #3 needed warm coke and dry cereal.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Swap potatoes for bread. I rarely eat bread but have potatoes often. At least with a potato you get a less processed food with fiber and nutrients, not to mention it's really filling. Start your day off with a potato. Bake it and add a scrambled egg if you can stand it. The starch may also help with the morning sickness. You'll have to pick and choose what the baby does and doesn't want so when you go though period like this starchy food phase, Try and think of what you can swap out to balance out the calories.
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I suffered badly from morning sickness with mine and used to find brown bread toast with a scraping of spread was all I could stomach first thing. As others have said you can focus on the really healthy stuff once your sickness subsides.:smile: