Willpower needed

Options
During the day I am fine as I make my lunch and cycle to / from work but the second I get home I reach for the toast, butter, crisps, choc. My dinner portion sizes are far too big and when I'm trying to get the three kids to bed, pour myself a drink.

I lack the will power to change this and don't even know where to start. It's really getting me down. Any advice greatly appreciated. Han :)

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Decide you want to make the change. Willpower comes from within. When you want it badly enough, you will do it.
  • TrevorOwen8
    TrevorOwen8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've had the same problem for a while. I have 2 kids myself and it's very hard to not wanna grab something that's quick and easy. But the way I'm fixing mine, is at the grocery store. After a long hard look at myself and picturing myself where I wanna be. I eliminate the temptation by not buying that kinda stuff at the grocery store. Cause then you won't have it to even try at the house.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    hanski1981 wrote: »
    I lack the will power to change this and don't even know where to start.
    If you lack the willpower to change it, how do you expect change to happen?

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Try eating more calories at breakfast/lunch.
    Eat more protein, fat and high fiber veggies.
    Willpower comes and goes so just forget about it and do what you have to to get where you want!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Prelog your days and stick to it.
  • jlcbooth
    jlcbooth Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with snacking before dinner too. I have been drinking a protein shake around 3:30-4:00 to help curb cravings. It helps a lot. I don't usually eat dinner until 8 and I used to snack a lot. Not buying the food you love will help too. I used to have lots of cheese in the house and I would eat a lot when I got home from work. Now I have cucumber slices if need be.

Allow yourself one drink a day if you like it. I have tried many weeks to cut it out during the week and it doesn't work for me. I have one beer or a glass of wine and it helps me feel less depraved. I would drink 2-3 glasses of wine if I didn't have that goal in mind. Wine is so easy to keep pouring! For that reason I like a beer - I don't feel like I want to open another for just a little more. Also - I bought coronitas, the 7oz coronas. I can have 2 and it's only 14oz!

I have to play these mind tricks to stay on target. You do what works right? :) Good luck!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Behavior change is complex and while it's certainly possible that you just need a kick in the pants it's also possible that there are other strategies you could employ to make it easier for you to make the right decisions.

If I were you, I would try to determine what causes you to make the choices you make.

For example, it's possible that the crisps and toast are convenient so you gravitate towards those.
    It's possible that your food environment is set up in such a way that it's harder for you to make better dietary choices and easier for you to make worse dietary choices.
    It's possible that it IS just a function of willpower and you just don't "want it bad enough" but I doubt it.
    It's possible that you don't feel like you have enough time to spend on preparing a better meal so you reach towards things that take less time.

There's a bunch of other things too, but I don't necessarily think that telling you "just stick to it" will be productive for you.