Vegan Diet Tips

Options
Does anyone have a tips for maintaining a vegan diet. Attached are current photos of me at 170lbs and I'm honestly disgusted with myself. I'm hoping this will give me the push to change my lifestyle. All help appreciated ✌

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Are you currently vegan? If you are wanting to adopt a vegan diet as a means to lose weight. It isn't necesary. What do you mean by maintaining a vegan diet? Not consuming any animal products would be a good place to start.

I was an obese vegan, and now I am a 'less obese' vegan, but it wasn't until I started counting calories and eating in a deficit that I started to lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Are you currently vegan? If you are wanting to adopt a vegan diet as a means to lose weight. It isn't necesary. What do you mean by maintaining a vegan diet? Not consuming any animal products would be a good place to start.

I was an obese vegan, and now I am a 'less obese' vegan, but it wasn't until I started counting calories and eating in a deficit that I started to lose weight.

Right. It's not necessary, nor is it guaranteed to lead to weight loss.

That said: OP: if you're wanting to adopt a vegan lifestyle, perhaps vegan websites would be a good place to research.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a tips for maintaining a vegan diet. Attached are current photos of me at 170lbs and I'm honestly disgusted with myself. I'm hoping this will give me the push to change my lifestyle. All help appreciated ✌

Are you a Vegan? Or are you thinking that becoming one will help weight loss?

different answers to those questions
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    what is it that you want to know? I am not a vegan but I'm friends with a few and some of their knowledge has rubbed off on me.
  • gruvergirl
    gruvergirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the 21 Day Fix, and my coach has several options for those wanting to eat vegan OR vegetarian. Instead of chicken or steak, I opt for fish or tofu. If you are worried about protein, there is a TON of information about which veggies offer "complete" proteins, combined, or not. Anyway, Laurend2224 was correct...it wasn't until I started controlling portion sizes and actually EXERCISING that I finally started losing weight. I've lost 20 pounds since May 1st, but some of that was due to a nasty flu bug...lol!!! But, hey, whatever gets me motivated, right? :) It was a nice jump start! Best of luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    gruvergirl wrote: »
    I'm currently doing the 21 Day Fix, and my coach has several options for those wanting to eat vegan OR vegetarian. Instead of chicken or steak, I opt for fish or tofu. If you are worried about protein, there is a TON of information about which veggies offer "complete" proteins, combined, or not. Anyway, Laurend2224 was correct...it wasn't until I started controlling portion sizes and actually EXERCISING that I finally started losing weight. I've lost 20 pounds since May 1st, but some of that was due to a nasty flu bug...lol!!! But, hey, whatever gets me motivated, right? :) It was a nice jump start! Best of luck!

You know that fish is neither vegan nor vegetarian

which veggies offer 'complete' proteins? Vegetables aren't generally considered proteins
  • morrishark20
    morrishark20 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is the recommendation from the World Health Organization: “(0.8 grams) × (your ideal body weight in kilograms) = protein in grams” so someone 175 lbs needs 64 g. Americans over consume protein. Leafy greens are almost 50% protein, beans are 25%, lemons are 15%, with strawberries & peaches rounding out the list of fruity leaders.

Excerpt From: Esselstyn, Rip. “My Beef with Meat.” Grand Central Publishing, 2013-05-14. iBooks.
    This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/fZCLI.l
  • anxioushero
    anxioushero Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going vegan sooo much!! It does not necessarily aid in weight loss, but I find it really does for me because it is much harder to overeat on greens. Then high calorie processed foods won't take up your allowance, you'll feel fuller and get the nutrients you need. Make sure you log carefully and get your macros if you are going vegan, it's also a great thing to look up recipes! Vegan pizza is rad, have a good day