Dietitians

Options
I was wondering if there any dietitians on here i could add as a friend and ask for some advice please and thanks

Replies

• amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Am not a dietitian but I see you are from Canada.. if you live in Ontario, Loblaws/Zehrs stores have dietitians that work within their stores that you can meet and email them for free. I believe even if you are outside of an area with a Zehrs or Loblaws or RCSS, you can still email them. They can be very helpful!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    This lady IS, but NO ONE is using her forum!! I asked a couple Q's…but it's not very active.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105316-weight-loss-advice
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I will be one by the end of next summer :) . I start most of my classes this fall, so probably can't be of much help yet. As I learn more, I can hopefully use my newfound knowledge on MFP.
  • ruqayaalshamsi
    ruqayaalshamsi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i am a graduated dietitics student .. hope i can help you ☺
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Just a warning: Dieticians are about as reliable as Weathermen.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Just a warning: Dieticians are about as reliable as Weathermen.

I haven't found many RD's to be that unreliable unless they are of course paid by some big corp.

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    The RD course is quite narrow. I would go by years of actual on the job experience and advanced education. Don't trust (or pay) any dietician. Do some digging into their background first.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Sweet I love debating with dietitian* majors.

How do you purpose someone lose weight?
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

*Oh you graduated school with a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics? Let me test everything you "learned" with my superior non-degree googling knowledge

Fixed it for ya :) And it's dietetics :)

• yopeeps025
    Options

*Oh you graduated school with a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics? Let me test everything you "learned" with my superior non-degree googling knowledge

Well I used to debate with a undergrad dietitians major. It was funny to have her explain to me how to lose weight. She was against calorie counting.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options

Well I used to debate with a undergrad dietitians major. It was funny to have her explain to me how to lose weight. She was against calorie counting.

I do the same thing, ignore my sarcastic remark, I get snarky when I'm tired :) "debating" with more knowledgeable people in the field is a fun passtime for me.

• M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if there any dietitians on here i could add as a friend and ask for some advice please and thanks

It's internet - we're all dietitians here :smiley:
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have to admit my most recent dietician had some wonky ideas. Like I shouldn't eat fake sugar and just replace it with regular sugar. And I shouldn't chew sugar free gum. But most of her advise was pretty solid like focusing on whole foods and the my plate formula. Although she never said it I kind of got the impression she wasn't a fan of milk. Which I am a pretty firm believer in.
  • mom2kpr
    Options
    For all of you putting down dieticians. 2 year Associate for a Dietetic Technician or a 4 yr degree for a Registered Dietician isn't enough education for you? It's more then most medical doctors get. And also, for those that said go to someone with years of experience, everyone starts somewhere - we don't graduate from college with years of experience.
    At 44 yrs old I am going back to school to get my AAS Dietetic Technician, because as I've lost weight and gotten healthier, I want to help other people do the same. I could've just said I'm a nutritionist, come see me, even though I have no formal training. But I wanted a real education on the subject.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    For all of you putting down dieticians. 2 year Associate for a Dietetic Technician or a 4 yr degree for a Registered Dietician isn't enough education for you? It's more then most medical doctors get. And also, for those that said go to someone with years of experience, everyone starts somewhere - we don't graduate from college with years of experience.
    At 44 yrs old I am going back to school to get my AAS Dietetic Technician, because as I've lost weight and gotten healthier, I want to help other people do the same. I could've just said I'm a nutritionist, come see me, even though I have no formal training. But I wanted a real education on the subject.

So do you believe CICO?
  • mom2kpr
    Options

So do you believe CICO?

Absolutely! Always have & that is the first thing we are being taught when it comes to weight loss. But we are also being taught how to make sure macro/mirco nutrients are being met. Which I still have to work on myself :)
  • yopeeps025
    Options

So do you believe CICO?

Absolutely! Always have & that is the first thing we are being taught when it comes to weight loss. But we are also being taught how to make sure macro/mirco nutrients are being met. Which I still have to work on myself :)

Now I have to question who I was debating with before.

• mom2kpr
    Options

So do you believe CICO?

It must be someone else. I haven't debated anyone about this. I just started my classes this summer.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

So do you believe CICO?

It must be someone else. I haven't debated anyone about this. I just started my classes this summer.

She tried to say the field realizes that CICO doesn't work and the intuitive eating should be pushed more.
    Her favorite quote was "Humans are not robots" follow by "stop talking to me about CICO." Maybe now I question that schools undergrad dietitian program now too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I believe my dietitian and I regard each other with deep respect. I'm not a dietitian so I'm not offering the OP my free advice other than the usual board chit-chat. I think Sobey's has dietitians on staff as well. The dietitian at Sobey's that took our running club on a tour provided samples, when I logged them in MFP, were perfectly balanced for macros. I was suitably impressed.

The samples included dragon fruit (my first time), moon cheese, a multigrain bread (very good).