What was your 'I finally need to lose this weight' moment? (And was it as bad as mine?)

Options

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    MTDDS18 wrote: »
    Ugh, I still hate to think of this moment. But it was at my grandfathers visitation and my great aunt comes up to me, in front of everyone, rubs my belly and asks when the baby is due. When I tell her there is no baby, she loudly protests and tells me I must be wrong. I had to basically run out of there to keep from crying in front of everybody.

I'm still mortified to think back to it. At 5'2 and 150 pounds I'm heavy, but I'd never considered myself to look pregnant. That's when I knew I had to change something.

I love how instead of apologizing, she actually doubled down.

My moment? I don't really have one. Just needed to change something and my weight was the easiest thing.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree. I don't think most people would describe that as fat. It is basically my starting weight 167 at 5'7.5". Yes I'm trying to lose but it is mostly for health reasons. I think I look pretty good. Different than I used to but seriously I would be enraged if someone described me as fat or any synonym. I mean it is important to be a healthy weight and work out. And eat a good diet. Those are my goals. I doubt you looked bad.
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    For me, it was a series of photographs over an 8 year period. I gradually got larger and larger after the birth of my son until in 2014, at 172cms or 5'8" I was 12 stone 7lbs. I literally just decided in one lightbulb moment that was it. First, I was borderline hypertensive. My clothes looked awful on me. My arms were massive as was my stomach. I stopped dressmaking for myself and I wanted to return to aerial sport but was damned if I was going to expose my overweight body. It's taken 16 months to drop 32lbs. Combo of food deficit and a lot of exercise. My blood pressure is stable now. Good luck to ya.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    The fire suit that we are required to wear for racing (see avatar) does not fit. :( I can't afford another $500 suit... so the weight must go. Plus, since meeting my boyfriend, my endurance, strength and energy levels have gone down, so I absolutely no good as an endurance race car driver goes, especially because I'm not able to assist with the heavy lifting right now. Sad face.
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Mine was more like "I need to stop eating like a pig" moment. :confounded: One day I went to my granparents' house and ate so much I couldn't move. I wanted to throw up because of the pain and it took me 6 hours to digest all this food. For 3 days I could eat only tiny portions of food since my stomach refused to have any more than that. This had never happened to me before so I was shocked. This incident made me feel really ashamed and bad about eating. I love food and enjoy my meals so that feeling was the worst. :disappointed:
  • ModaVita
    ModaVita Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Watching myself age faster than I need to, just because my health is deteriorating from poor diet and lack of exercise.
  • Pammalla
    Pammalla Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of pants that I dident bother to try on because they looked so huge there was no way they wouldn't fit. Well I went to put them on a few days later and... They dident fit. I lost 21 lbs now and they will button but are still tight but will fit great when I go back to work in August
  • drstinycat
    drstinycat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had this moment last night. Someone asked me if I was pregnant again. Granted, I'm only about 5 lbs heavier than before I got pregnant with my first child. However, I'm only 5 ft and a petite frame so it really shows. And I've got the "mommy tummy" going on. Time to get back on the diet/exercise train.
  • erasure999
    erasure999 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was at 277lbs and just diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I knew I was destined to get it as this all ran in my family, but I told myself that I don't believe in that non-sense and didn't want to be one of those people who have to take medication everyday.

So I changed up my heating habits, cut out all the processed foods and started running...running my *kitten* off! So far, over the past year and a half I've lost over 75lbs and now am no longer diabetic. My doctor was flabbergasted at each of my 3 month check-ups and said he's never been more proud of a patient then he was with me. I no longer take any medications.
  • sophroniapete
    sophroniapete Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was at a minority health summit and a big topic there was diabetes. I am not a diabetic but it is heavy in my family. I am also a minority and it was mentioned during the summit that 1 in 3 ppl with develop diabetes in their lifetime with minorities having a higher risk. I am a nurse so I know the statistics and my odds. The table that I sat at for the summit was a 3 seater. My friend was to the left of me and she is a diabetic and another lady (Caucasian) was to the right of me. So the 1 in 3; I would be the 1 who would develop diabetes. At that moment I thought to myself I just had a baby 7 months ago and I needed to do something about my weight because I have a baby who depends on me to be around. That was my moment and I have been on a lifestyle change journey every since.
  • Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mine was definitely when I walked into my local gym on my first day of getting a membership and realizing that I wasn't 190 pounds like I used to be. I also looked in the mirror and saw how much my stomach was hanging over my jeans (a good inch or so).
  • cherub14
    cherub14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who has shared their story here, I've read every one of them and it helps so much.

I have a food addiction. It's embarrassing and for a super organized, this chick has her s**t together type person it has taken me years to come to this place in which I can finally verbalize. My food addiction was out of control AGAIN. I gained 50 pounds in the past 5 years and was headed down a slope I've trudged back up before (I'd previously lost over 100 pounds through diet and exercise.)

What makes it click? What was the Ah-Ha moment this time? I wish I could remember, bottle it up, and pour it all over myself the next time I feel this way. Because it wasn't one defining moment. And I will feel this way again.

I say NO MORE!!!
    I took a look at myself and said, You Are Better Than This! Just Start!

Food addictions are real, they are hard to work on, because you kinda need to eat to live.
    If you are struggling with a food addiction, and joking around about your weight problem isn't funny anymore, please add me as a friend :)

Thank you for letting me share this with you. You can be stronger than you ever imagined!
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My most recent moment was downright scary for me. Amid other medical issues I was being seen for that have sidelined me for the past several months, one blood test done in the mix came back showing that I am pre-diabetic. So my physician told me in no uncertain terms that if I do NOT lose weight, I WILL have diabetes in the future. So while I am not yet able to hit the gym, I am working on eating healthier once again, and am hopeful that when I go back for a recheck in a few weeks I'll be down at least a few pounds.
  • wwchick2012
    wwchick2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old saying:

"I don't like Ian any more, he said you were fat. That's really mean, isn't it?"

Mortified and upset and very, very ashamed........so this is happening, 100% game face is on.
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mine was... uhg. just ridiculous. I was in a bad place in life in general... stuck in a REALLY unhealthy "romantic" situation, was messing around, partying too hard, eating a TON of garbage, drinking etc you name it...

Well, when i turned 27 or so, I moved into an apartment that had floor to ceiling and wall to wall closet mirrors in the bedroom... for the first time in my life i was forced to SEE me.... see all of me, and see what i had done to myself. I was 5'2 and 204 pounds... my health was a mess, i was in and out f the hospital for a number of things, and all the stress and illness finally took me down. I lost almost 20 pounds in a couple months, it just FELL off me, i didnt even realize i was losing weight till my co workers started commenting that I was swimming in my clothes...

By the time i turned 28, i was done with it. how could i have let myself go so badly? i looked HORRIBLE. my hair was lank and scraggly, my skin was ugly... i hated everything about what i had let myself become.

over the next 9 months i lost another 23 pounds and was my healthiest at 159 pounds! i lost it the RIGHT way this time, calorie deficit and logging here, eating right, and working out (beach body programs) 4-5 days a week.

since then, much has changed again... but i am HAPPY now, and i know how to reach the goals i need to reach. i gained... as do most of us... up and down life long battle, im now 182, but ive been back in the gym this year, and making more and more changes for the better.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Too many to count, some I wont tell...but one of the kick starters was getting stretch marks on my stomach which I had never had before...and didnt notice until i saw it in a mirror because my stomach roll was too large.

Also my fat jeans were all bursting at the seems and hurt so badly from being too tight, and no stores carried my size

Saw my ex and wanted to "giggity, giggity" so i decided I needed to loose weight first haha
  • racheln2017
    racheln2017 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well, for one, my jeans barely fit. Another is just seeing myself in pictures and seeing that I can't look thinner no matter how hard I try. Then of course, was seeing my weight on the scale at a doctor's appointment. ugh.
  • JLei2015
    JLei2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    my ah-ha moment was my doctor bawling me out for an hour (yes, really an hour) about what a time bomb I was. pre-diabetic, high bp, overweight, depressed...........
    then he sat down, dried my tears and told me about this app.
    so here I am - a few weeks into it, changing eating habits, logging in and recording diligently, down 10 lbs so far.

I don't hate him any more. LOL
  • AprilDanell
    AprilDanell Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My moment has happened a few times throughout my life. More recently, when I first met my fiancee I decided I wanted to lose weight and look good for him (even though he didn't care). Well, I did it the completely unhealthy way - hardly ate anything and worked out constantly, so I dropped 40 lbs in 2 months. Soon after losing it, I ended up having major health issues from losing the weight so quickly and how I lost the weight and gained all that weight and then some back.

My most recent moment, though, happened this weekend. I'm getting married in April of next year, so we went shopping for clothes for our engagement pictures and I hated the way I looked in everything I tried on. Also, my friends (who are all extremely thin) want to plan my bachelorette party and wanted to see if I was okay with going on a cruise. I opted out on the cruise and said I would have more fun if we go to Universal Studios in Orlando - but I remembered that the last time I went to Universal, I couldn't fit on one of the rides and was horribly embarrassed. Embarassed so much that I cried. So, I've decided that I'm done with being embarassed, I'm done with hating how I look when I try on clothes, and I'm done with tearing my body down with my bad habits. Hoping to reverse things (health issues) that I've done to my body by eating healthier and exercising, but taking it one day at a time - not thinking that it's going to happen overnight like last time. Here's to getting HEALTHY, not SKINNY.