Protein help

Options
I need 80g of protein a day. I'm struggling to eat 60g. I can barely get my calories over 1000 a day and my goal is 1800. How can I get more protein? Should I make a shake every day? Should I eat a protein bar? Help what should I do? I really need help

Replies

• gainthatmuscle
    gainthatmuscle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    if you are having issues getting all your protien in then shakes are the way to help you. optimum nutrition is the best quality. remember a big chicken breast could be 50g of protien, and steak could be even higher. i would stay away from protien bars. they cause blow and are not nutrious in my opinion. add me as a friend and i will help in anyway that i can. i have been doing nutrition and bodybuilding for the past 6 years. i am not a nutritionist but i can help
  • Jeeplette3
    Jeeplette3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm open to anything and everything lol. I'm tired of being stuck at the same weight and people asking if I'm prego lol. I'm 5ft 10in and just have a little fat. I've been stuck like this for over a year haven't gained or lost.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling to get 1000 calories a day, it's an obvious answer to eat calorically dense foods, preferably with more fat as it has more than double the energy of than that of protein or carbohydrates.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Meat (chicken, beef, pork), fish (salmon, tuna), greek yogurt, feta cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, egg whites, oats, hemp seeds - that's just of the top of my head
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What is your current weight?

How are you having trouble eating more than 1000 calories per day when you need to lose weight? At 5'10" and overweight (though I'd still like to know your starting weight) you have certainly been eating over both 1000 and 1800 calories in the past.
  • AngieMc6
    AngieMc6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You've got this! When I was diagnosed as protein depleted, I had to increase my protein intake 4X what I was used to. It really is a change in perspective. I had to adjust to the idea that I would have a larger amount of protein/meat on my plate compared to a smaller amount of grain/carbohydrate. For you to get 60g a day, divide 60 by 4 (3 meals and a snack) = 15. Now, learn what 15g looks like. For example, I know that 3 slices of my deli ham = 15g (each deli ham is different so check yours.) Once you find several proteins that you like, plan your meal/snack around them. And as for protein shakes and bars, I use them because I need to intake 119g of protein until my stores are back up. While bars get a bad rap, they are good for emergencies. Plus, I make my own to avoid the downsides of the manufactured bars. Good luck and feel free to check out my public diary and/or follow me.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I need 80g of protein a day. I'm struggling to eat 60g. I can barely get my calories over 1000 a day and my goal is 1800. How can I get more protein? Should I make a shake every day? Should I eat a protein bar? Help what should I do? I really need help

Few Options besides Shakes, simply because I don't like the taste much.

Quest Bars. I eat Double Chocolate Chunk. 160 calories, 20g Protein, 6g Fat, 25g Carbs.

Grilled Chicken Breasts. 210g is roughly 250 calories, 48g Protein, 6g Fat, 3g Carbs. I generally buy frozen Tyson Grilled & Ready - Chicken Breast Strips and then cook them in a pan. They can be microwaved too.

Fairlife, Fat Free Milk. 1 Cup is 80 calories, 13g Protein, 0g Fat, 6g Carbs.

Egg Beaters are also a pretty good source. I usually eat about 230g, which I think is 4 eggs. 25g Protein, 0g Fat, 3g Carbs.

Source: I generally consume 1400 calories a day and get 180 to 190g of Protein.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is my calorie king food to eat
  • Jeeplette3
    Jeeplette3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

How are you having trouble eating more than 1000 calories per day when you need to lose weight? At 5'10" and overweight (though I'd still like to know your starting weight) you have certainly been eating over both 1000 and 1800 calories in the past.

I weigh 186. I've never really been hungry so I never ate causing my stomach to shrink. I get full really fast. Like kid size portions.
  • J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    Options
    I had the same situation. I never ate enough to get my body out of starvation mode. So, therefore I was storing every bit of food I ate. The doc advised me to have meat with each snack or meal and start slow raising my calorie intake. I have 4oz of grilled chicken with almost every meal. It took me over a week to get my body used to eating. I would literally get sick trying to force myself to eat breakfast. I found that having a protein shake for breakfast is very beneficial. It has become much easier for me to get those calories in. I have also started adding Chia Seed to my smoothies to add omega3 and protein. Make sure whatever you are eating is high in protein, read those labels! Make sure you know exactly what goes in your smoothie as well, every bit counts. Good Luck and feel free to add me!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I weigh 186. I've never really been hungry so I never ate causing my stomach to shrink. I get full really fast. Like kid size portions.

Are you weighing your food with a digital scale? And logging it using verified data, such as USDA nutrition information or the labels from food packages?
  • AmeliaCarranza
    AmeliaCarranza Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My regular protein sources are:
    -Greek yogurt (plain 0%). I usually eat it with some walnuts, frozen berries, and some fiber one bran cereal
    -boneless, skinless chicken breast (5 oz). I usually eat this with 1 cup steamed veggies and half cup of steamed brown rice, beans, or quinoa. Or in a salad.
    -ground turkey 93% lean. (5 oz)Eaten the same as the chicken above (not in a salad for me though)
    -tilapia filets (5 oz). Eaten the same as chicken and turkey.
    -eggs and egg whites
    -sandwich meats in sandwiches obviously :p . But not too often though, a lot of sodium

I think prepping your meals would really help you in reaching your protein goals. I bake 20-30 oz of chicken, 20-30 oz of tilapia or ground turkey (which I season with flavor god prior to baking), bulk steam some veggies and cook some rice or beans in less than two hours and they last me for 4-6 days. I divide them up into individual food storage containers. Now I have two meals already planned out and ready for the next 4 days. The rest of the meals are either sandwiches or yogurt or eggs which are fast and easy to prepare. Then I add some ice cream or crackers to fit my macros. My protein goal is 127 btw. You can do it!

P.s. I weigh my poultry before and after baking. Then I use some algebra to figure out what 5 oz of raw chicken weighs when cooked.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I eat kid size portions, too. With determination, you can get a lot more food in. The trick is to have protein at every meal, every snack. Try also including high volume foods that shrink in the stomach like salad greens or popcorn. Avoid drinking anything at meals.

At breakfast it might be peanut butter, yogurt, Greek yogurt, eggs, ham.
    At snacks it might be edamame, nuts, cheese and crackers, peanut butter with celery or apple.
    At lunch it can be leftovers from the night before or a wrap.
    At dinner, always have your protein picked out to have with the rest of your meal.
    A slice of hard cheddar at bedtime not only will help keep your blood sugars stable through the night (oops, diabetic training sneaking in here) it is also good for your teeth. Really.

Log your meals and if you have had a bad protein day, have a whey protein shake in the evening. Costco sells a pre-made Premier Protein shake that has 30g of protein each. I keep these on hand for bad days.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I am trying 10% protein, 10 % and 80% carbs for 22 days, Book 22 revelution by Marco Borges has anyone been on that Plan. I am lovingg it so far.
    Caliecat
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Will you eat any kind of lean meat? I had WLS and I eat between 800 and 1000 calories a day and I have no problem getting to 80 to 90 grams of protein. I eat steak, chicken, pork loin, shrimp, lobster, crab, cheese, eggs. I like Qwest protein bars for snacks. I got tired of protein shakes but those work too. A protein shake made with skim milk for breakfast is 35 grams of protein. Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt has protein.