Time to say hello to health and goodbye to 600 pound me.

Options
djarcher03
djarcher03 Posts: 8 Member
edited June 2015 in Introduce Yourself
So, I held off posting anything for quite some time, I've tried losing weight before and have failed, and didn't want to post anything, should I fall off the wagon and not come back. My names Dean, I joined my fitness quite some time ago, around when I was 560. Which was my starting weight on here and had never changed. I recently came back when in April, my weight had come close to 600 lbs, and I finally decided I was going to lose the weight or die trying.

Mid April I went through my house and removed everything that was processed, contained added sugar, or added artificial sweeteners. It was a few garbage bags worth, donated, thrown away, and given to friends. And I stopped buying processed foods and drinks all together, with the exception of milk, cheese, and plain Greek yogurt.

Over the past 10 weeks, I've bought and consumed only whole fruits and vegetables, unprocessed meat, dairy, and unsweetened tea or water.

Today I'm 524 lbs, a weight I have not been in nearly 10 years, I'm also able to use a home scale that maxes at 550 lbs, which I haven't been able to do in the time I was over 550 lbs.

I'm determined more than before, and look forward to the personal growth in health and loss in size.

Replies

• falulu209
    falulu209 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! It is such a hard thing to make such a dramatic change to ones diet and you did it!

Here's hoping your journey goes smoothly
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your fantastic progress so far! Good luck to you! Just make the best choices you possibly can for each day and work on building your new healthy habits and you will get there. Good luck to you!
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far! Great work!
  • gemdiver
    gemdiver Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great story, keep up the good work!
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Amazing job!! What have you done to keep yourself motivated! Do you stick to a particular calorie target or workout regimen?
  • djarcher03
    Options
    Amazing job!! What have you done to keep yourself motivated! Do you stick to a particular calorie target or workout regimen?
    To be honest, I try not to count calories on a day to day basis, or I go nuts. Most of my eating takes place at home, and at worst, if I do have a moment where I really want to stress eat, the worst I can do is eat a bag of grapes. Or something similar. Though I do try to control even that. The only time I count calories tends to be mostly when I'm curious about a certain food or meal, or when I'm out of the house, say at a restaurant for a friends birthday.

A lot of the hard work has come in actively trying not to buy the food I shouldn't eat at the store in the first place, and a good start is usually eating something before going. I find my cravings are a lot stronger to ignore while shopping hungry, so a well rounded meal, usually breakfast, and shopping at the start of the day, before stress from work, or anything else sets in, really helps in keeping my decisions in the store smart.

And my motivation tends to be just watching that number on the scale get smaller and smaller now that I can use one.
  • djarcher03
    Options
    falulu209 wrote: »
    That is amazing! It is such a hard thing to make such a dramatic change to ones diet and you did it!

Here's hoping your journey goes smoothly

Thank you very much!
  • djarcher03
    Options

Congratulations on your fantastic progress so far! Good luck to you! Just make the best choices you possibly can for each day and work on building your new healthy habits and you will get there. Good luck to you!
    cheezcakes wrote: »
    <3<3 this is lovely! I wish you luck!
    Congrats on the weight loss so far! Great work!
    gemdiver wrote: »
    Great story, keep up the good work!

Thank you all very much!
  • donnalee0213
    donnalee0213 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WOW Dean! Good for you!! Your an inspiration! Wishing you all the very best on your journey! Feel free to hit me up for words of encouragement when / if you need em!!
  • stacyrs72
    stacyrs72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Keep it up. I, myself have been having a hard time sticking to my diet. But I was talking with a friend last night who has lost a lot of weight and she got me back on track. What she does is eats whatever she wants but stays within 1300-1500 calories a day. So I am going to try that, cause like her i have a hard time eliminating carbs and sugar.
  • noxxmod
    noxxmod Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Wishing you much success on your fitness journey!
  • Gwyenne
    Gwyenne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's truly amazing :). You are motivational! Keep it up :)
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • djarcher03
    Options
    stacyrs72 wrote: »
    Good for you. Keep it up. I, myself have been having a hard time sticking to my diet. But I was talking with a friend last night who has lost a lot of weight and she got me back on track. What she does is eats whatever she wants but stays within 1300-1500 calories a day. So I am going to try that, cause like her i have a hard time eliminating carbs and sugar.

Its a good method if you're good at that! I tend to muddle numbers and forget much of the time, haha, so I just had to reevaluate my food consumption as a whole, rather than just the number of calories. And I wish you luck! Sounds like you got a good friend who can help you along.
  • djarcher03
    Options
    WOW Dean! Good for you!! Your an inspiration! Wishing you all the very best on your journey! Feel free to hit me up for words of encouragement when / if you need em!!
    noxxmod wrote: »
    Congratulations! Wishing you much success on your fitness journey!

Thank you both!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy both your story and your philosophy on losing weight, particularly by focusing on what you're eating. After all, people eat food and not numbers. I admire your strength and your positivity and wish you a healthy journey.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your amazing success thus far! Great work :smiley:
  • Pammeycakes55
    Pammeycakes55 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    YAY for you! I'm so proud of you and I'm sure you're proud of yourself. You have done amazing since you've started, so just keep doing what you are doing, my friend. You will look AND feel so much better as the weight comes off. Here's wishing you success and a long healthy, happy life! :)<3
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted Dean :) Sounds like you're doing well and are motivated to continue... and quite motivating as well.

Wishing you all the best... & take a look at the success stories as often as you can they can be so helpful to see we can all be there ourselves!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    OMG, Dean! You are off to such a great start! Be strong and persistent. NEVER GIVE UP!!! This is such a great site...most of us are here for the same goals (health and fitness) and I find such motivation when I read a story like yours!