Strategies on Portion Control

Options
Looking for some successful strategies on practicing portion control? Thanks.

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i weigh EVERYTHING on a food scale...pretty simple and accurate.
  • amandakatebanana
    amandakatebanana Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Don't use colourful Tupperware thingies. ;)

And weigh everything.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Weigh and bag "problem children" foods as soon as they come into the house. And if it's a REAL problem, just don't buy it at all, for now.
  • roselemonade
    roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If I make a big recipe, I portion it into single-serve containers right away. Today I made a big pot of soup, entered the recipe into the recipe calculator, portioned the soup into 5 mason jars to put in the fridge, and set the servings on the calculator to 5. Since I'm the one who is going to be eating all 5 servings eventually, it doesn't matter if they aren't *exactly* identical in size. And, since it's pre-portioned and entered as a recipe, it's really easy to take out 1 jar and log 1 serving at a time.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    For meals/recipes, I portion out the recipe into individual servings - usually 4 containers. I eat one and put the rest in the fridge - no temptation for seconds. Then I have 3 more meals already portioned out and ready to go.

If I'm cooking for my family, then I weigh out my portion first, then let the rest of the family have at it. Thankfully, I almost never have to worry about leftovers when my family is eating.

For snacks, I weigh out and pre-log what I'm going to eat - sometimes the calorie hit isn't worth it and I put it back. Weighing out my evening snacks has really opened my eyes to how much I was eating before... easily, 4-6 portions, probably even more. It's no wonder I was steadily gaining.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale, weigh EVERYTHING.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    -Weigh the food. Decide how much fits into your day. Eat it.
    -Pre-log (I do this the night before or somethings on the train on the way to work in the morning). By the time my breakfast is finished I already know what I'm having for dinner-down to how many GRAMS of onions are going in the pot.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner from your salad plates instead of oversized dinner plates--it makes it seem like there is more food.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Food scale.
  • hollbert90
    hollbert90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have some of those 'bowls' that are really shallow for things like cereal but great for having my meals out of. I always weigh everything but as they're smaller than a dinner plate I still feel as though I'm loading my plate up when I'm really not. It's just satisfying to think I've eaten a lot.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure everything.
    If I am making a dish that has multiple ingredients I weight and measure out each individual item and create a recipe on MFP. Make a tight fist and look at it, that's about how big your stomach is, now compare your fist to the food on your plate... lol! How much do you wanna stuff in there? :wink:
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Don't eat while standing.
    Never eat from an open container or bag.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    weigh, measure and package yourself :)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Add me to the weigh everything list. :)

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging and weighing.

And weigh everything.

Huh?
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I always fill my plate with the food I know is better for me before getting to the other food. i.e. I put the chicken and broccoli on my plate before I try to put things like bread or potatoes. That way there is little room for it. I always use a smaller plate than everyone else as well. Like a salad plate or one of my kids toddler plates.

My family are snackers. My husband needs snacks for work, so I always buy him the flavors of things he likes and I don't. He likes spicy hot food and pickle flavored chips (yuck) So, I always buy those and not snacks we both like. I always keep water on me...like always! Before a meal or snacking I drink water.

I always keep raw veggies and fruit on hand in the house to snack on.

I always plan my day for 5-6 small meals. I am never hungry and most of the time don't end up eating all meals.

I also have 2 (yes 2) food scales. One for my kitchen and one I can keep in my lunch box for work. I weigh everything.

Hope this helps!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I eat from small plates & bowls. I also pack my lunch in small containers so it seems like more.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

And weigh everything.

Huh?

She means the food measuring containers like in the 21 day fix program
    http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Calabreses-Day-Fix-Essential/dp/B00I89MAKS

I agree with the others who say weigh your food!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

And weigh everything.

Huh?

21 day fix containers.